No customization options are available.

Pannier liners dissapointing

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by roger coleman, Oct 2, 2015.

1. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Richard you must then remember the aluminum pieces they sold to insert in the air intakes just before the fuel was added to the carburetors that looked a bit like an airplane propellor. These were around the time of the 70 and early 80 boxer models. These pieces were supposed to swirl the air at a high speed when fuel was added to increase mileage and generate a better complete burn. I spent $20 bucks on these and never found any difference.

Jim Evans likes this.
  2. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

I remember my Honda CB77 had a centrifugal oil filter: it was a cylinder that whizzed round and the crap stuck to the outer part of it so it could be dug out. It seemed to work: but this was 1964 when most bikes didn't even HAVE oil filters! They didn't have air filters, either.

3. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

That would be the SWARP. I installed one on my 1978 Yamaha SR500F. It actually seemed to work on that bike. It did improve and smooth out the low rpm running, while decreasing the top end power somewhat. That first model year SR had a severe lean-surge issue that required me to double the size of the slow jet from 25 to 50 to keep it from acting like a two-stroke on part throttle. Anyway, the SWARP was just another fad that received a thumbs up by the motorcycle magazines - until the company and their product faded away, along with their ads. ;)

Grumpy Goat and darrell like this.
  4. Richard230

If I recall correctly that was the situation with the pre-1969 BMW airheads. They had a section of their flywheel that slung the oil around and centrifugal force would cause oil lumps and other parts of the engine to be filtered out and collect in the flywheel. Of course, cleaning out that gunk was a bit of a hassle as you had to dismantle the engine to get to the "filter". I have no doubt that BMW customers did appreciate oil filters that were both accessible and replaceable when they finally became an airhead feature. :)

5. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

I'd forgot the name but you did. What a fad. Interesting it helped you on a bike.

6. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

If you don't see the humor, I cannot explain it to you. A joke is ruined when it's explained . . .

7. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Got a chuckle from that name ... SWARP. :D

Snake oil according to Popular Mechanics ... "... reduced peak horsepower by more than 10 percent. The Intake Twister increased fuel consumption by about 20 percent; the TornadoFuelSaver provided no significant change." :D

8. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I did see the humour in your comment ... but I am afraid this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine (I have a few) and I see no humour in the situation as it is.

Alaskan likes this.
  9. Richard230

The only reason that the SWARP worked on my SR500 was that the carburetor and intake systems were so poorly designed on that bike that when the device was inserted into the intake plenum, it choked the intake flow and made the system act like it had a smaller carburetor venturi than it actually did. This likely is what gave my bike slightly better torque at low rpm (where most singles like to run) and cut power at high rpm (which I never used, anyway). Oddly, I don't recall that it made any difference in fuel consumption. But to be honest, that first year SR (and I had an early one) was a real mess and had a number of issues that required a top end overhaul at only 15K miles. I guess they got better in future year models.

And now we have the SR400 - which appears to be an expensive dog from reviews that I have read.

10. Mike A

Mike A New Member

11. roger coleman

roger coleman Well-Known Member

they look as good as the RKA ones I paid £140 for

12. Mike A

Mike A New Member

My liners for the 1200GS LC are on ebay at the moment. RRP is £49.99 and they're bid to £15.00.

13. Peejay53

Peejay53 New Member

I've had three long trips with them now and they have been great. The shape fits the panniers very well so space is maximised.

14. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

I like the OEM liners.

runnerhiker likes this.
  15. Peejay53

Peejay53 New Member

What, you won the State lottery?:)

Richard230 likes this.
  16. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

Traded my RS for another GS as since my last crash my knees wont work with the RT or RS anymore. That said, I have the OEM pannier liners available to
    anyone stateside that wants them. I will sell them for less than I paid for them and they are like new so make an offer and figure shipping cost in your offers.
    BTW/ We did an 8000 mile loop of the east to west up and over and down ride and the OEM bag liners proved adequate for me and the fit is perfect sos there is no wasted space. I plan to get liners for my GS but right now there is a recall on Varios and they wont sell me any at this time. Thinking about maybe going with Touratec Zega Pro's but they don't sell us yanks the cool new PRO 2s which are superior design to the previous so right now I'm a bit pissed about that.

17. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

Yeah. I spent $20,000+ for the bike. The liners weren't really an issue . . .

18. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY New Member

Just want to add my comment... I had the RKA liners and *I* prefer the OEM! You put less stuff but I like the rigidity of the OEM's. To each his own!

Alaskan likes this.
  19. Matt Goss

Matt Goss New Member

Just purchased the BMW pannier liners for the Wall 2 Wall ride to Canberra this weekend. Easy to pack and a nice fit into the panniers. Like all things BMW though, they are pricey.

Alaskan likes this.
  20. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Just back from a weekend away and I thought I share this. The Kriega US20 tail bag designed to attach to the pillion seat is an excellent fit for the left hand BMW pannier. If solo, take the attachment straps with you then it can go across the seat if you need some emergency space in the pannier.