No customization options are available.

Pannier liners dissapointing

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by roger coleman, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Hi Vtbob, I was referring to Stuart's liners not the OEM BMW ones, from the pictures they look the wrong way round.

2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I don't understand using a expandable liner in a non expandable pannier.
    The detachable wash bag looks like a poor fit in the lid.

3. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

That's why I think it's the wrong way round, I think this should be at the back of the pannier body not the lid side

4. JWMcDonald

JWMcDonald Active Member Contributor

Similar to stuffing 10# into a 5# bag

5. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

On our K75 and K1200RS the BMW bag liners had the extra pouch face into the inner half to fit the recessed area.

6. PeterG

PeterG Active Member

You're lacking fantasy :p. The liners can be used for other purposes as well (which I often do indeed) where the smaller size is enough. But even using them with the panniers expandability is no disadvantage at all. More options without any hassle.
    Regarding fitting of the liners. The liners from made4bikers I am using are fitting perfectly while using space in the panniers very well. I did not have any problems closing or opening the panniers with really filled liners...

7. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Neither am I, and in my case with my RKA liners which, as far as I can tell are better bang for buck than the BMW liners. They fit well, use all available space in the boxes and do not snag the hinges or latching of the lids - stuffed full or slack.

To each his own. ☺

terry847, PeterG and roger coleman like this.
  8. Peejay53

Peejay53 New Member

m1bjr likes this.
  9. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

Just paid $300 U.S. (shipping included) for factory liners from the dealer for both side cases plus the top case liner. Perfect. Not sure what the dispute is all about.

10. r80sdon

r80sdon Active Member

I love my RKA's!

terry847 and Kevin Neustadt like this.
  11. Grumpy Goat

What dispute? With 6 pages in this thread, there is no dispute as far as I can tell. ;)

Alaskan likes this.
  12. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

There is nothing wrong with the factory liners - except for their outrageous price. There are a number of excellent aftermarket BMW bag liners available for one third of that price that work just as well. As an example, I purchased a set of new SHAD (the manufacturer of BMW hard cases) liners for my SHAD saddlebags for only $60.

If my only choice for bag liners were the $300 ones from BMW, that would encourage me to head for the plastic garbage bag (liner) section of my hardware store. :rolleyes:

13. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

That's what we used in our Vetter saddle bags in the early 80s :)

Richard230 and Vtbob like this.
  14. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Yep, I put heavy duty trash bags in my Eclipse Soft Saddle bags to water proof (well sort of anyway) in my first long trip to New Foundland on a CX500. 500 cc did just fine..now if you don't have 1200cc you can't go up hills fast enough..let alone the risk of overworking that little 500cc bike.

ps It had a Vetter Quick Silver fairing

Richard230 and Lee like this.
  15. Hotboot

Hotboot Active Member

Man... the Vetter Quicksilver fairing...super cool for those times and the bikes we rode.
    I'm a little advanced from the Glad bag and bunjy cord version of sport touring but it was fun.
    I use whatever fits in the factory hard bags, the old FJR liners work well. I know the BMW spec product is high quality and worth the investment for some and imagine a durable lifespan. Like quality riding gear, you don't know the value until several years of enjoyable use.

16. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

Personally I find it amusing quibbling over $150 on an accessory after having spent $17,000+ on a motorcycle . . .

Stixx, Vtbob, darrell and 1 other person like this.
  17. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Hell, folks will be trying to save $20 using aftermarket oil filters before you know it...

Alaskan and darrell like this.
  18. Grumpy Goat

How so? I have no issue paying what it costs for the bike because it is unique, but to charge exorbitant prices for accessories when there is no real reason ... that makes little sense to me. As a result of this I have very few BMW accessories, pannier liners being one of them. The RKA liners (themselves not cheap either) were half the price and do a great job. I could go on about motorcycle accessories in general, but that is a discussion for another day, and maybe over a beer. :)

Jim Evans and terry847 like this.
  19. Grumpy Goat

Sure ... if the oil filters cost $30 or more ....

20. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Speaking of aftermarket oil filters, what ever happened to those "reusable" "permanent" stainless steel mesh oil filters that were being pushed in ads and in review articles by the US motorcycle magazines about 10 years ago? That always seemed like a really nutty idea to me, but the product got a lot of traction before the idea and the filters disappeared - into the land of perpetual motion machines and magnets that attached to your fuel line, straightening out your gasoline molecules to improve your vehicle's performance. :rolleyes:

oscarguitar and Jim Evans like this.