No customization options are available.

Pannier liners dissapointing

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by roger coleman, Oct 2, 2015.

1. roger coleman

roger coleman Well-Known Member

New Pannier liners arrived and i have to say Im dissapointed.
    For the GT I used RKA liners, they stated that they use the internal space of the panniers in a better way, now I understand what they mean.
    While the Liners are a class piece of kit, they are quite stiff and round off the shape of the internal space. Consequently some of the space is not filled.
    The RKA liners are more softer material and slightly larger so that you have to squeeze them into the panniers, thereby totally filling the space.
    Im sure the capacity of the RKA liners is great than the BMW ones.
    Maybe Im going to have ot purchase new RKA liners instead, anyone want some brand new unused BMW liners for the Panniers they dont have yet.

2. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I think I will get the topbox insert case which is thinner but not sure on the restricted panniers cases. Have seen them at my dealership and they do seem to reduce capacity on what is a smaller case. Unlike the cases and inserts for my R1200ST ( also used on R1200R/RT) whosee insert bags are correct shape as well as being slightly flexible allowing an easier packing. I found laying pannier on it's side, squashing the bag and all the clothes ect to get rid of air and then dropping them in allowed me to carry all I needed. Might be interested in your set depending on price but as I am in Devon it is probably better for someone in your area.

3. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Never have that problem with bin liners:)

GordonH, Phillo, Vsimes and 3 others like this.
  4. tobyduke51

tobyduke51 Member

Picking my rs up on the 10th. ordered panniers and the inners so will give my opinion then

5. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I used Bestem bags on a previous GS and have recently used them for the first time on the RS. They worked well. The secret is being able to squash the top corners to fit inside the pannier. They have an expansion zip and can be happily filled to make them fatter, but you must keep the corners clear for "squashing".

I haven't seen the BM bags so cannot comment on them, but it sounds like they are too smart and rigid to be used easily.

BTW - I only use 2 of my 3 bags as the top box gets filled with tools, water and all sorts of other odds and ends. image.jpeg

6. terry lees

terry lees Active Member

Interesting, don't get my bike till next March but I have inner bags from an FJR 1300, they have fitted my recently departed CBF GT thou pretty well, so hoping they might fit the BM as well.

7. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

I got the stock bags (panniers) with my RS. Took it on a 5 day trip and used my old small odd and ends bags (used on past trips with Jesse bags) to cram in the RS side opening bags. It did not work well, things kept falling out of jaming the seal. I didn't want this as the new RS bags were totally dry evan after a 300+mile day in the rain.

I ordered the BMW liners...yep pricy. But they are worth it to me.
    They are sort of stiff and molded to fit the bag shape precisely. This is good, you can load you bags...carry the full bag to the bike, pop it in and go. All you packing and stuffing can take place, on your bed (or where ever) and load the bike is easy. Took these new bags on another 4 day trip and I am happy. For trips longer than 5 days I will mount my old Jesse top box as well as it has so much room and is easy to get stuff in and out of.

8. Hoser

Hoser Active Member

I just picked up the factory liners and agree they are a little stiff but they are shaped to use all the space in the boxes and make packing very easy.
    Just like VtBob just said, the liners can be packed in the hotel then slid into place in the cases and they fit perfectly. I tried a soft bag and it was always getting in the way, slipping in between the shell halves when trying to close the cases. These new cases are a complicated shape and make loose packing difficult.The extra compartment in the top of the bags seemed a little overkill but it makes finding the small items a lot easier.
    I use the top box for loose items like rain gear, room for removing or adding layers when the temperature changes, or shopping on the way to the hotel for the night and do not use a liner as I usually take it off and into the room.

woolf and Aussie Import like this.
  9. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Got the RKA liners last week. They were just under 1/2 the price of the BMW liners and appear to be very well made. Shaped to suit and had to be stuffed into the panniers only so slightly because of the indentation in the top of the panniers in way of the handles etc. I am sure they will fit the bill perfectly.

10. rclompus

rclompus Active Member

Its amazing how I went through the exact same sequence of events and conclusions. I previously used bag liners from Cee Bailey: http://www.ceebaileys.com/bags/bmw_bags_02.html. They make great grey or black Cordura bag liners that sell for $99/pair. Like all soft bags, you fill them your hotel room or tent and then stuff them into the rigid side panniers. I decided this time to just get the form fitted BMW liners. At first, I didn't really care for them. I thought I made a mistake in buying them. But after using them a few times, it is really easier to stuff them full and then just slide them into the panniers and off you go. Its a different system, more expensive than previous after market bag liners but now preferable to softer bags. I suspect the BMW liners will loosen up with use but I have come to enjoy the advantages they offer over soft bag liners. Here's a photo of the Cee Bailey liners. They are still a great buy. To each their own...

Ride safe,
    Richard

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 11.28.58 PM.png

Aussie Import likes this.
  11. Grumpy Goat

Yes I saw the Cee Bailey liners before choosing the RKA ones but thought that they looked less form-fitting (to the panniers) being rectangular, than the RKA ones which are the same shape as the panniers. Other than that they look very similar. The RKA liners have a flat outside zippered pocket instead of the open mesh pocket. Either choice is half the price of the BMW liners and I rather save my farkle money for something more critical. :)

12. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I've got the Mane Event liners but I haven't used them in anger. I'm not overly impressed as they seem quite stiff and I'm not that happy with the fit but they need to be filled to find out how they function.

I had very soft and flexible US made ones on the ST13 and they were great, much like the RKA ones you mention Roger.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  13. r80sdon

r80sdon Active Member

RKA liners are superior in every way....their support is wonderful and the price is right. I had them for my K1200RS and now for the new RS. Beats plastic garbage bags I must say!~Now let's not talk about Gerbings.......

14. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Overpriced and over engineered but I've got the bmw inner set for both panniers and topbox, same as I had for the R1200ST.
    Smaller cases than the earlier R/ST/RT but you could get the bmw system5/6(can't remember what mine are) in topbox or left pannier, but not with inner bags.
    The loading is so much easier with inner bags and the space left behind can the hold boots,helmet or coat (remove back protector to fold coat)
    The more space you have the more you tend to carry?

Bacaruda likes this.
  15. Grumpy Goat

Can't say about their support but if it is anything like their sales support it must be stellar. The liners shipped immediately and came in less than a week and there was a nice follow-up message too.

16. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I will sound like an ignorant fellow by saying this, but until I bought the luggage kit for the RS I had no idea that there were such things as pannier liners. My previous BMW bags did not have them. The Givi's on my Spyder did not have them.
    I have otherwise previously used Ventura and Gearsack soft luggage, so there was no need. In 1972 (and that was 44 years ago!!) I had throw-over leather bags for my Yamaha YR-5. I had to wade back into a flooded creek to get them when they floated off as I pushed the bike through flood waters in an epic flood of the Snowy River. The bags and the Yamaha survived the immersion. Don't think the RS would be as forgiving but at least the bags won't float away.
    The BMW items are very useful for packing clothing and other personal travel stuff which otherwise can be a challenge to fit in, and keep in, the panniers when they are opened and closed. They are less useful if I want to put a helmet in the pannier (and thanks to the help on this forum I found I can actually fit one in.)
    BTW, I agree with Dave. The more space, the more you pack.
    Give me a charged up plastic card in my wallet. I can leave a tent, sleeping bag and towels behind- and just get what I need when I get there! Sort of like Jack Reacher with no muscle and no violence...

oscarguitar likes this.
  17. Grumpy Goat

Hehe.... where's the fun in that? The panniers and top box may not have enough space for the kind of touring I am thinking of doing so this is my last piece of luggage. Anything that doesn't fit in the panniers, top box and 60 litre dry bag isn't going.

[​IMG]

18. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I have given up on BMW hard panniers. At some point they became just too expensive for the limited number of camping trips that I go on each year. So I started buying more backpacking equipment that packs small, purchased with just a small portion of what I save by not buying hard panniers. Now I can put all of my stuff into a top box and a 24" long by 14" diameter gear bag (strapped across the passenger seat) like Grumpy shows above - only cheaper and not as waterproof (that is what garbage bags are for). If I really needed more storage space, I could always break out one of my soft, throw-over saddlebags that are stuffed into my motorcycle equipment debris closet and toss those over my seat and under my gear bag.

What really irritates me is that BMW panniers can't be switched from older models to their new models. As an example, the BMW bags on my old R65LS wouldn't fit on my R1100R and the bags on the R1100R wouldn't fit on my R1200R and the bags on my R1200R wouldn't fit on my R1200RS. All this just because BMW keeps dreaming up new ways to hang their bags on their bikes. What a waste of plastic. :mad: So now I just stick with top boxes (useful for storing my helmet when camping and hiking) and soft bags that collapse and don't take up much room in my tent. :)

19. duerrs

duerrs Member

Grumpy:

Have you received this bag yet? Do you have it set across the passenger seat and side bags? Just wondering how much room this takes and if it interferes with your riding area/position? I was looking at the same bag but the 350 which is 35 liters. My concern is that having the top case mounted with back pad may push the bag too far forward encroaching on the riders space based on the dimension of 12" width. I'm hoping it could be compressed enough to work.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

20. Grumpy Goat

No I have not purchased it yet - still researching but it is on my very short list. My criteria - must not exceed the width of the panniers (which I believe are about 31" side to side) since I intend to fit it between my butt and the Givi V47 top box I have.