No customization options are available.

Oregon tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Bill the Cat, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Did a 4 day ride over the long weekend with Pashnit tour group. Went up to the northern California border and then up into Oregon. I'd been to Oregon before but hadn't realized how different the roads are. Sorry California, but they are much better. It seems like the taxation for road upkeep actually goes into the roads. Also, when Oregon posts that a curve is 20 mph, it really is a 20 mph curve, where in Cali, that was done just because the locals want to slow folks down in the neighborhood. The only drawback were the wildfires. It was very smokey and several roads were closed. Wanted to go up to Crater lake as I have never seen it before, but the haze was too bad. Here's a link to the trip pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76437808@N00/sets/72157685629700021

cheers,

Dave

2. SoCal RS

SoCal RS Active Member Contributor

Great pics Dave.

I know what you mean, was up there back in May. Did a few day rides out of Portland; one to the coast up to Astoria, the other out the Columbia River Gorge to the Hood River Bridge, then back the Washington side. When we left Portland to come back south went by Mt Hood, through Bend, Klamath Falls, then into Reno for the night. That was long a day. I hear the fires are getting pretty bad up there.

Bill the Cat likes this.
  3. Bill the Cat

The fires were indeed bad. Leave your bike for an hour and it gets covered in ash. We didn't hit the coast much this ride, but your ride sounds spectacular. I'd like to ride the columbia river gorge, but hear that it's the windsurfing capital of the west coast, and it's always super windy there.

4. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

My son-in-law returned from riding around Oregon for a week last Friday afternoon while riding his 105K-mile 1986 Honda VFR700FII (not the coolest bike to ride when it is hot). When he returned home after riding from Eugene, OR, it was 110 degrees F in the Bay Area. That would have been a road too far and too much heat for me. Apparently, he had a good time up there, though.

5. Bill the Cat

Hey Richard, yes - I don't think there was anyplace you could go to escape the heat that weekend, except maybe inside an AC cooled room. It was even hot as we passed through Coos Bay, which is normally quite cool. It was hot enough that the black dye in my leather pants leached out and has stained my white tank with black smudges. Had to buff that out later.