No customization options are available.

Oregon -------------- > Colorado! And back . . .

Discussion in 'USA West Riders' started by Alaskan, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

I am planning a September ride from Southern Oregon (Ashland) to Coloradoa (Boulder) and back. I don't want to ride The Slab the entire way, though. Any ideas?

2. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

All depends on how many days, weeks, or months you have available....

I'm currently doing my routes on Rever with the Butler map overlays and hitting as many gold routes as I can. That made St. Louis to Boston and back about 100 hours of riding.... The Rockies add another whole layer of must-see, must-do roads (and trails).

Bug Dr. likes this.
  3. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

Well, 3 or 4 days each way. A rider on another site said Hwy 40 through UT and CO is pretty nice.

4. jlduck

jlduck Well-Known Member

I don't know, but you are likely to be really stoned leaving Ashland, so you can meander all you want, but you won't be able to be stoned again until you reach Colorado. Seriously, just looking at the map it looks like a lot of desert to get through. Idaho> Wyoming then down into Colorado? Then again, Utah has some nice scenery, but it's hard to get a drink there....:/

ray2 and Alaskan like this.
  5. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Member

I'd drop down to Eureka, CA and take 299 to Redding and then work my way down to Reno and pick up 50 just west of Fallon, NV. Then I'd take 50 to I-15 in UT. Go south on 15 to I-70. Take I-70 east to Hwy 89. Go south on 89 to just south of Panguitch and take Hwy 12 east. Allow enough time to go back west on 12..........you might need to do this three or four times.........yes, it's that good of a road. From Hanksville east it doesn't matter, just make sure your route takes you down Highway 12. If you can work in CO 141 from Naturita to Grand Junction I'd highly recommend that road too.
    Enjoy your trip and please share your route and pics with us after you return.
    Mike

ray2 and Alaskan like this.
  6. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

Bug Dr. (Dr. Entomologist?), your route intrigues me. I have ridden that stretch to Eureka and then east from the coast to Redding many times. It's great. But this time I'll bomb it to Reno. From there I can take I-80 east to Hwy 50, then take Hwy 50 east to Salina. From there it looks like I could ride south from Salina through Panguitch and Escalante and Hanksville and Naturita all the way back to I-70. It's a big jog south from I-70 and then back north to I-70. About 1700 miles. That's a little longer than I had planned, but sound good?

7. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Member

Former entomologists is correct. That route sounds like a great mix of necessity and fun. I think you will enjoy it.
    Mike

8. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Here's an overview using the Butler maps.... An unmentioned factor in the equation is how much you want to get away from people. With my job and personality, I tend toward brown routes - "lonely, desolate stretches of paved road. Expect few services, crumbling road surface and an isolated riding experience."
    Agree - the direct route has some interesting features, but I can think of better rides than Nevada and the salt flats in July.... This time of year, my body (and bike) seem to prefer staying north and high (though not necessarily by the Duck's definition).
    upload_2017-7-4_9-4-41.png

Yes it is, but this time of the year has an unlimited supply of Air Streams and tourist traffic - at least on weekends.

If you're limited for riding time, you might want to flatten the tires on the hot, fast, and straight to try to spend a chunk of time in Colorado. If you already have a few thousand miles on the tires, you might consider a tire change in Salt Lake to really enjoy the riding around Boulder.

It all gets pretty philosophical. Have fun. If you're like me, you'll make all sorts of plans and then change them every time you stop for coffee or the equivalent.

Alaskan likes this.
  9. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. This is a September ride so I am hoping it will be cooler, but perhaps the direct route to CO is better. I have driven in CO a couple of times from Denver to Gunnison, and the roads were really great. I have also ridden across NV - once - and it wasn't great . . .