No customization options are available.

Ordered the AGV Sportmodular carbon helmets...

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Brimstone Mahone, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

This morning my wife and I each ordered a new AGV carbon Sportmodular helmet from Revzilla. They should arrive by the end of next week. We were both interested in them because they are lighter than our Neotecs and the new C4 Schuberth, which we thought we might like, is getting a lot of not-so-favorable reviews. We are not replacing the Neotecs; we wanted to quit hauling helmets back and forth between TX/Mexico.

We are looking forward to using them BUT we will spend a good bit of time wearing them/examining them closely before we actually remove all the stickers; we won't hesitate to send them back to Rezilla if we find them lacking in some way. Never owned an AGV helmet, mostly Shoei's in the past 20 years so this will be a new experience.

After it shows up I'll post what I think/how it compares to my Neotec.

ray2 likes this.
  2. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

good luck I had a agv 10 years ago ok but mine had a whistling noise. will Rezvilla let you send back if you are not happy with them? look forward to review especially as to noise in comparison to shoei and schuberth.

3. Brimstone Mahone

Revzilla will take them back BUT only if you do not remove the stickers/return them as new. IOW, you can wear them for hours/examine them closely but you can't actually ride with them. To be fair, I don't know of any internet company that would allow you to ride with it and send it back because then it's useless to them; they can't sell it. A brick/mortar store is different; for example, the local BMW moto dealer has "demo" Schuberth C4s in the different sizes that you can take out for a ride. I didn't do that because I instantly did not like the C4 because the flip-up section would drop on it's own with very slight movement - just walking around. Seemed useless to me as a modular.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Graham Lewis likes this.
  4. Graham Lewis

I found the C4 ok have had no problem with it but am interested to hear your review of the AGV. I seemed to have had too many helmets over the last 10 years so must stick with the C4 for a few years.

5. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Has any9ne experienced the Lazer Carbon helmet?

It looks interesting.
    3334A0F5-A947-4FED-98F0-D9B05D412F66.png

6. Graham Lewis

tried it on in the shop but felt the quality of the interior was not as good as my Schuberth, fitted ok though but haven't ridden with one

7. Brimstone Mahone

My wife's AGV carbon came in time for a 300 mile ride over the past two days. She absolutely loved it. Her (and my) first reaction was, "it's SO light!" She preferred it in every way to her Neotec as far as how it functioned on our ride. The only thing she wasn't sure about was the lock to open the visor but it quickly became a non issue. She was extremely impressed...to the point where she's afraid she's going to have to buy another one. She was so impressed that she now thinks her Neotec - great helmet - is too heavy to deal with so instead of using the AGV here and the Shoei in Mexico as we originally figured, she plans to retire/sell the Shoei and buy another AGV. Hopefully, my new AGV will show up later today or tomorrow and I can figure out whether to do the same re my Neotec. I sort of hope I am NOT as enthusiastic as she is re the AGV! This will get pretty expensive! ;)

8. Brimstone Mahone

UPDATE:

My Sportmodular showed up this evening. I'm returning it. :(

Four issues -
    1. The flip part is very difficult to lock down. Instead of just pushing it lightly down, it takes two hands to push it so both sides lock. My wife's does not. Since I can't lock it down with one hand, it's not s workable modular helmet for me.
    2. The chin strap is too far back for me - very uncomfortable on the throat.
    3. The locking face shield is very annoying and totally pointless. My wife says it doesn't bother her.
    4. The neck roll pulls out of the helmet at the back every time I take off the helmet. It seems to be properly positioned but whatever holds the neck roll in place is not functioning properly. Since my wife's doesn't have this problem, it seems to me like inconsistent quality control by AGV.

Too bad, feels like there is almost nothing on my head compared to my Neotec. But it doesn't work for me.

9. Brimstone Mahone

Another Update;

Shipped the helmet back to Revzilla today; ordered another one to see if maybe I just got a bad one - maybe the one I received was made on a Friday or a Monday! ;)

I REALLY want to like this helmet because it is so light so I'm going to try again. What's the old saying..."Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on ME." Oh well, I can return the 2nd one so it's only time, not money involved...other than the $7.42 Revzilla charges for the return tag. I'm a huge Revzilla fan so I was a bit chagrined to have to pay them anything to return a defective helmet (the difficulty in closing and the pulling out of the neck pad at the rear of the helmet). But in the stratosphere of 749 bucks for a helmet, I guess 1/100th of that isn't a big deal. ;)

I think that chin strap will still end up being a deal breaker but we'll see. The visor lock, I think I can manage given some actual time to adjust to it.

10. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Thanks for posting your thoughts and experience with this. Is your wife a rider or pillion and if she's a rider is she on an RS?

11. Brimstone Mahone

My wife is a rider but owns no BMW's now. She rode a BMW F650GS in Mexico for 4 years but sold it to buy a '17 Africa Twin there last year. She rides her '15 Ducati Diavel here in Texas.

Bunter likes this.
  12. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

Looking forward to your replacement AGV. I too was not excited about the C4. My C3 is getting old and have been looking. I did order two M1 Schuberth's a few months back. First one was missing the liner! Second one had a defective sun screen, the mechanism was jammed. Revzilla took them back without a question. I was very disappointed with Schuberth and hoping it's not a trend although at the moment they don't make a helmet that really excites me. For those of you in the EU, how is the BMW carbon modular? It looks great in photos.

13. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

The system 7? I've still not managed to find one in a shop in my size to try on although I've not been looking that hard.

14. Graham Lewis

similar to Bunter, my normal size is XL and couldn't get it on my head, the next size up also felt tighter than I thought it should be. It seems good for quality although no longer made by Schuberth. think I will stay with my C4.

15. shootersteve77

That AGV got a great review from Revzilla! It's on my list to try on when I can find one locally.

16. Brimstone Mahone

Yeah, the Rev review is what got me to purchase one! HOWEVER, a review from a company that is trying to sell something has to be taken with at least a grain or two of salt. ;) Anthony's a personable guy but he's a SALESMAN; his job is to sell Revzilla's products. However, in Revzilla's case, since returning an item is a non-issue, if something does not meet expectations, you can just return it for refund or exchange.

Re the helment, if you asked me if the AGV is overall of equal or better quality than my Shoei Neotec, I'd say 'no." In fact, the Shoei is better made with what appears to be better quality material/fit internally. I mean the fit/quality of the liner/pads, etc, not the fit of the helmet on my head - both are OK on my head...other than the AGV garrote-thing they call a chin strap (to be fair, will vary from person to person).:( The ONLY advantage of the AGV over the Neotec is the weight to me, the Neotec is better in every other respect. But the weight advantage is a major issue and is the reason I'm trying another AGV as opposed to just buying another Neotec.

17. shootersteve77

Regardless, what matters is how it feels on your head. I'm spoiled by the quietness of my C3. How does the Neotec compare? Did you get the AGV replacement yet?

I'm really curious about the BMW System 7 and hope to find one to try on this summer when I'm in Europe.

18. Graham Lewis

Have you tried the C4? it is s slightly different fit to the c3 but happy with it. where are you going in Europe?

19. shootersteve77

I've tried on the C4 and don't dislike it, but it looks larger than the C3 and not a fan of the built in com system. I use a Senna with earbuds for long rides and the built in speakers take up space in the helmet that hurts my ears, (at least on the C3 it does). The AGV and System 7 both look to have a smaller profile, but until I try them on, it's hard to evaluate. The Neotec is also a contender but haven't seen the new one in person yet.
    The plan is to be in Sweden this summer. I know of a BMW dealer nearby where we stay.

20. Brimstone Mahone

I received the replacement AGV helmet from Revzilla and it does not have the problem with the neck roll pulling out and the flip part being hard to lock like the first one did. So that tells me that AGV quality control is not up to Shoei's. ;) I like the helmet and found that the neck strap works fine. If I tighten it as much as I do on my Shoeis, it strangles me but if I just tighten it to the point where it is comfortable at my throat, it is still tight enough that the helmet cannot be rotated off my head. So that's OK. It's now a keeper! :)

Bunter and Stixx like this.