No customization options are available.

Open invite trip Ardennes/Eifel/Mosel March 24-29 2018

Discussion in 'Travel' started by wessie, Jan 20, 2018.

1. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

I'm taking the week before Easter off from work.

I will be spending 3 nights in Vianden in Luxembourg - lovely medieval town on the German border.

Plan is to take an afternoon crossing on 24 March. Ride to Poperinge - chose it as I have never been there and it is the right distance for an overnight. It's in Belgium so they will have proper beer.
    Ride down through the Ardennes which has French, Belgian and Lux bits to Vianden. 2 days touring around without any planned route.
    On the return I will stop over in Bruges before riding home on 29 March.

If you want to ride and do your own thing then that would be fine - just meet up in the evening for a beer and some food.

I have pre-booked the hotels - Vianden is about 50 Euros, others are about £60 per night. If you fancy tagging along then send me a PM and I will let you know the hotels. I don't do room sharing as nobody can sleep through my snoring.
    My bookings are flexible and the rooms can be cancelled if there is a late dump of snow. I have yet to book a Channel crossing. Dover-Dunkirk ferry is cheaper but the tunnel is quicker, more reliable if it is windy and a lot more flexible in terms of crossing time with the +/- 2 hour window.

English would be handy as I'm not much of a conservationist in any other language.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-vi...le-and-river-our-in-luxembourg-105489716.html

[​IMG]

swedkg, Robert the Brews and ray2 like this.
  2. swedkg

swedkg Active Member

It would be nice to have you around. I live in Luxembourg so we could hang out for a beer and food on evenings. Just PM me when you are here!

3. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great trip - nice part of the world......best take your thermals though...

4. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Hope you have a great trip Wessie and pick-up some fellow riders. I've planned a trip to Brittany at the end of May, that's all the riding days I can manage this spring, otherwise I like the sound of your plan.

5. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

My other bike, the Triumph Explorer has heated grips with bar muffs and a heated seat. I have Keis heated vest and insoles. My Rukka gear is waterproof. Daytona boots likewise.

6. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Are you taking the Triumph?

Funny time of year......you might get glorious sunshine and 20deg.......or sleet and 5deg. Hope for the former, not the latter!

7. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

I prefer riding the RS but it makes my right hip hurt on longer rides. Even on a relatively short trip to Brittany last September, after the third day I was in a lot of pain. I still get a bit of hip pain on the Tiger but not to the same extent and the roomier riding position and the fact you can stand up, mean you can jiggle around a bit to alleviate the problem.
    I took the RS to France last April - it is actually okay in the cold with heated grips & the Keis stuff. The cylinders warm your shins. I had -2C in Beaune one morning and 24C in Provence.
    In 2015 we went to Northern Lux at Easter and had a mixture of pleasant spring weather and howling gale which made for some interesting riding across some of the Ardennes viaducts.
    However, I am a rufty tufty biker that is not phased by a bit of weather.

8. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

If I didn't have limited time / budget for a tour this year, I'd be all over this one. Sounds brilliant.

(Don't feel too bad for me, though. I'll be doing Scotland or Wales, with a 2-day off-road riding course thrown in)

9. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

A recent bribe in the form of Clubcard points for buying some Tesco branded financial products means my Eurotunnel ticket has cost me the princely sum of nothing at all. Hopefully it warms up a bit before the end of March, although Gerbing heated gloves arrive tomorrow...

10. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Aaah but to live in Europe I would have signed up at the drop of a hat.

11. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

There are these companies called Lufthansa and Hertz...