No customization options are available.

Only one head light is lit, can this be changed?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Jeroen1969, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

On my R1200RT both head lights are lit (day and night). On my R1200RS I have a vertical LED white light strip that automatically turns on during day light and the ledt head light turns on when it gets dark as the vertical day light strip extinguishes. The right head light only shows a rather dim light. I can still see enough but was wondering if there is a software-wise option to have both head lights light up in the dark (other than the "big light" beam that activates the right bulb in ultra bright and activates a blue head light indicator on the dash).

2. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

BMW should have used the same front lights as my R1200ST, stacked lights with two dipped and two main beams, best night lights I have ever had. Better than my 4 light XJ6 jag despite that having 4 individual lights, two dip and two main lights. Probably some EU reason no bikes have two pairs of dip/main lights restricting options for us all.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  3. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

In Oz, the low and high beams are reversed from your post. In daylight you have 2 options. DLR on or lowbeam on. DLR on is actually an auto function which switches to low beam in low light conditions. The high beam switch lights both headlights. The DLR does not operate when the headlights are on.
    Each lens assembly has a small marker light which are on when any headlight is on. The may also be on with the DLR but I have not actually checked them.

4. Jan Willem Helmers

Jan Willem Helmers Active Member

The small marker lights are actually the Parking lights, which can be switched on when the ignition is off:
    • Immediately after switching off the ignition, push button 1 (= indicator switch) to the left and hold it in this position until the parking lights come on.
    • Switch the ignition on and off again to switch off the parking lights.
    upload_2016-10-14_7-8-38.png

Antonio Santos likes this.
  5. Jan Willem Helmers

Jan Willem Helmers Active Member

I don't think that would be possible, the right head light is configured to be the high beam, which means it is directed much higher than the normal head light and is illegal to use when there is traffic in front off you (either oncoming or riding in the same direction) both left and right bulbs are actually the same.

6. Aussie Import

The High beam could be aimed lower using the deep plastic hex nut on the back of the lens assembly. Because the standard globes are identical, it is really a question of aiming them. It may be technically illegal, but it would not dazzle oncoming motorists.
    I really don't see the point effectively "throwing out" an effective "high beam" for the cosmetic appearance presented to other road users of having both lights lit.
    In my case, with the intense white light of the after-market HID lights, the pilot or parking lights are a very yellow colour. There are posts on this forum which identify replacement globes for the pilot lights which are white or white / blue and would balance up the appearance which may be what Jeroen may want.

7. lars Ormvold

lars Ormvold Active Member

On the ST there are H4-bulbs which have both near- and far-light within the bulb itself. On the RS there is H7 which only have one light-source, and there is only two pins connecting to the bulb where there is three on a H4-bulb. Believe if you should try there would be a lot of work as the bulbs have different size as well, not to mention you would probably have to re-program as the power-consumtion of the lights would be double and the bike probably would believe it's an error . . .

8. Aussie Import

I don't know how sensitive the RS is on headlight power consumption. According to the marketer's material, HID lights consume less power than H7s. The same can be said of LEDs. Having less power has not (often) caused confusion in the electronics. Perhaps one a month (knock on wood) my low beam will not light. I get the error message on the dash, and automatically the high beam lights up. If I turn the bike off, wait a few moments and turn it back on, the error clears and the light works. Once it would not clear, so I continued riding (it was daylight). In about 10 minutes the condition cleared itself and the error cleared and the light worked again.

Now that Oz is coming into summer (temperature range today in Melbourne was between 3 deg C and 22 deg C) the days are longer and hopefully I will be able to leave home in daylight and return home in daylight and maybe actually see what my house looks like from the outside!

bigwillyhere likes this.
  9. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I'd quite like to be able to have the DRL and dipped beam headlight on at the same time during the day, to improve conspicuity.

10. Bub

Bub Active Member

I found out this week that if you have a bulb go out that it shows up not only as a fault on your dash, but as a fault on the Nav 5. When I pressed the fault on the Nav 5 it spelled out that I have a low beam out, nice feature!

runnerhiker likes this.
  11. Aussie Import

IMO the DRL is very effective in getting motorist attention, certainly more so than low beam on the R1100S. I think it may be due to its unusual shape.

12. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Personally, I would like to have both headlights on. However, I recently read an explanation of why double headlights are disappearing. The article that I read said that double headlights of the same size can confuse auto drivers into thinking that there is a car coming toward them at night, some distance away, and not a motorcycle that is closer than it would seem with only one headlight on. That sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. I don't think that this is a response to government regulations (yet) but probably due to some thinking by the motorcycle manufacturers and perhaps their liability lawyers. :confused:

13. Aussie Import

The RS on high beam has double headlights side by side, so the theory may be flawed

14. Jeroen1969

Though the oncoming motorist in opposite direction will most likely use his high beam to inform you that you are blinding him using you high beam. As one doesn't like to blinded, one would switch off the high beam and that would result in only 1 light still on, perhaps alarming the opposite motorist it is not a distant car that had Star Trek alike beams, but a nearby motor cycle....

I would have sworn my light bulbs in my RT were of the H7 type as well and could, like H4 type bulbs, do both high beam and low beam, apparently, I'm mistaken. Either way, with one light bulb in low beam I can see enough riding my R1200RS in darkness, just as I could with my R1150RS. But when that bulb fails I have a problem when I'm not at home because opposite traffic will not appreciate my alternative light source, the high beam.... the good news is that my R1200RS can inform me about a faulty head light, so I will know about this defect even when I'm riding in broad day light...

On my RT I get this clue as well from the BC when one of the the lights fail, but in the dark I can still ride home with the other light in low beam.

I guess I will have to keep my fingers crossed that my one low beam head light will not fail on me during the dark and I will search this forum for the pilot light alternatives that might help me out. (Thanks for the heads up Aussie Import)

15. lars Ormvold

If you add the extra LED-lights you will have a good backup if the main headlight failes . . .
    upload_2016-10-19_10-13-46.png

Antonio Santos, Grumpy Goat and Sobpe like this.
  16. Jeroen1969

Good idea!

17. Yoda

Yoda Active Member

I always carry spare bulbs but have never had to change one on the road so far, touch wood. However at least the bulbs are changeable (or so I understand !) without breaking the holder as almost inevitably happens with the F800ST/GT :rolleyes:

18. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Hi Lars - which spotlights are you using and how are they attached please?

19. lars Ormvold

It's the standard BMW with BMW's brackets / cables / switch . . . . One issue I am unhappy with, they do not wotk together with DRL. If I knew that earlier I would have gone for Darla LED's which can be controlled more as it suits yourself rather than a German software-guy . . .

20. PeterG

PeterG Active Member

Here the additional lights may only be used in foggy or other conditions with limited visibility NOT as additional lights in normal conditions. They are homologated only as fog lights and therefore can not be used with DRL. In other countries other regulations apply but obviously BMW does not adapt the fog lights accordingly.