No customization options are available.

off road tyres for the RS

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by HoGee, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Make sure you get some bar risers, so you can stand on the pegs ;)

2. Last

Last Active Member

Stood up just fine without risers.

3. dkjkwood

dkjkwood Member

TKC-70s

Nomad5326 likes this.
  4. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Active Member

conti tkc 80 are pretty good on the road despite the knobs, had no problems on dry tarmac, I have them on my husqvarna 701, they are ok on dirt roads but fairly limited in mud (relatively useless as a serious off road tyre)
    found this shot of them on an urban gs, have seen them on an R1200R so obviously available for the 17" front
    [​IMG]

5. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

@ray2 : I'm not a pro :cool: but yes, as a Belgian, crappy roads are very familiar to me. There are basically two types of road in Belgium: a road that is being repared, and a road that is in urgent need of repair. :([/QUOTE]

Sounds like where I live :)

6. Nomad5326

Nomad5326 Member Contributor

Just saw this today, thought relevant. Granted the guy is a tool... Interested in what you choose. Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  7. Ilan Balaban

Ilan Balaban Member

I would have a look also at Conti trail attack 2 they are great on the road and will do the job on a packed dirt road (actually any tire will)

8. Nomad5326

Hi! Curious on what you went with and how they did? Unless, of course, your upside down in a ditch w/wheels spinning and looking at the sky, in which case, take your time!

9. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Yamaha MT09 Tracer (FJ09) is a similar bike to the RS - I owned one for a while. I see on the marque's forum that a chap in one of the more northern US states has fitted Avon Trailriders as his area has a lot of unsealed roads. He reports very good results.

10. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Being a highly opinionated grump, I have to share my thoughts!

I think these 90/10, 80/20 so called Adventure tires are just marking BS.

I think they exist to allow owners of Adventure bikes to get road tire performance on pavement which maintaining an "image" of alleged off road riding. If they put on real road tires, they would have to admit they are really road riders on jacked up bikes, with boxy panniers, crash bar, looking tough.

I believe ( sorry to not have concrete data to back this up) that of the major tire brands, Dunlop, Michelin, Metzler the tire body of the best road tire is IDENTICAL to their 90/10 tires. The only difference is a different (artsy) tread pattern with tread gaps "slight wider" which look more "aggressive" .

In my experience, in mud on, a 3/8 inch tread gap will load with will load with mud, i.e. become a slick, just as fast a 1/4 inch road tire tread gap.

If you really want off road performance in adverse condition you need "lug" tires that will bite in to soft soils, with tapered lugs so they "self clean" and soft rubber that sticks. These tires are noisy, wear out in 4k miles or less and are some what squirrelly when pushed in pavement corners.

The wheels and tires on the RS that we all love are designed for pavement! Putting a 90/10 or 80/20 tire on the RS will just degrade the road handling ever so slightly and only offer a placebo of off road capability. Save your money, the stock RS tire will do dirt roads just as well as the 90/10 tires.

Go for it it you like the "look". Bikes are for fun!

Enjoy!

Bravo, Jim Evans and ray2 like this.
  11. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

It has been my experience when used on lighter bikes than the RS, such as my Triumph Bonneville and F650GS, 90/10 "adventure" tires seem to last about 50% longer than "sport touring" tires. If for no other reason than they typically have about 50% more tread depth than a tire that might come stock with these bikes. So I like them for that reason. But this observation has only been on motorcycles that use narrower tires than the 120/180 tires used on larger BMW's and my 1000cc Yamaha. (I am not even sure if "adventure-style" tires come in those sizes.)

12. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, my personal experience in 90/10 is with Metzler Tourance and then a set of Tourance Next tires. Below is a description copies out of Reveille tire description
    "Metzeler Tourance Next Tires
    The new Metzeler Tourance NEXT are enduro street tires that dare you to challenge any weather condition and any road. This 90/10 tire represents the latest generation of enduro street tires, featuring new compounds, profiles, structure and tread pattern for unmatched levels of stability, safety on wet and mileage. Rear tires are now dual compound, derived from Metzeler's Z8 Interact tires focused on increasing wet performance and mileage. The rear tire shoulder compounds are 100% Silica that guarantees an excellent chemical grip on wet surfaces and provides great confidence and feel. Front tires also feature a high silica content for improved handling and faster warm up. "

In retro spec, I would have likely been better off...with the Z8s

Going to an Anakee 3 or Heideneau 50/50 tire WOULD give better off pavement results..but at a significant compromise to on road performance...again I've used both of these.

Jim Evans and ray2 like this.
  13. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I like all editions of the Michelin Anakees. :) On my F650GS I currently have an Anakee 2 on the front and an Anakee 3 on the rear. I am happy with that combination and they give good traction on paved roads. Although they are not so great on loose dirt, mud or gravel - naturally, as that 10% doesn't go too far on those materials. ;)

14. stuart2820

stuart2820 Active Member

I had Metzeler Tourance on my V Strom, switched to Tourance Next and just couldn't gel with them to the extent I regretted putting them on. Felt to flighty. Tourance was the far better tyre for me; I was a bit miffed after all the reviews for the Next.

As an aside I'm getting on well with the Metzeler 01's on the RS. I was out for a run, two-up on Sunday past. There was a few sketchy surfaces but handling was impeccable; so much so I had to stop at one point to let a mate catch up on his Street Triple. He said he wasn't too confident in his Pirelli something or others :rolleyes:

Still, the best tyre I've had so far is the Michelin Power RS. They just feel so plush, I'll be putting them on again next spring for sure. They did one tour (two-up), two track days and were pretty much done but they were GOOD :cool:

ray2 likes this.
  15. HoGee

HoGee New Member

In the end, I didn't fit other tyres. While it took me some time to convince my BMW dealer that the TKC70 was indeed available in the required sizes, I decided to pursue another option, which is: buying an old 4WD to drive through the fields and over the muddy roads to a friendly farmer, clear of the road works, where I will keep my bike overnight. I'll switch machines in the morning & evening and will continue to do my commutes to Brussels with the RS.

The final trigger was a short test drive with a GS Adventure, while my RS was in maintenance. It made me realize two things:

1. trail tyres won't make the RS into a genuine terrain-capable machine. The different geometry, riding position & wider steer do have their purpose on the GS. The maneuvreability and (very) low speed balance are remarkable and out of the RS' league.

2. I really, really, REALLY like my RS ;-) While comfy and fit for its purpose, the driving position on the GS doesn't suit me at all. I feel too disconnected. This made me abandon the idea to trade in the RS for a young GS properly equiped to do some decent off-roading. Even the surprisingly high take-back value of my RS couldn't change my mind :cool:

Last and Nomad5326 like this.
  16. Nomad5326

Good analysis and one can never go wrong with a nice 4x4 beast. Spent the weekend in Anza Borrego (desert valley east of San Diego, Ca) touring and hiking and looking at some really cool desert metal art which required riding in light dirt/sand. Took the RS 2-UP. Got sideways a few times on the dirt / sand and wished I either had my Dakar or some dirt worthy tires to just get around and realized the same thing, even with dirt worthy tires the riding position just doesn't like the dusty stuff (you can't really sit back and float the front), although the suspension soaked up more than I thought. Taking it to a week trip to Baja and think I'll put the 705's on it just for the roads and see how it goes. I freaking love this beast on road and two-up. But if Sjaak can ride around the world on a R1 then I have to second guess any hesitations and just go w/it! Cheers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017