No customization options are available.

off road tyres for the RS

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by HoGee, Jul 6, 2017.

1. HoGee

HoGee New Member

No, I don't want to modify my RS into a GS. But as I'm living near the dead end of a small road that will be closed completely for a year, and the planned detour will take me over a rough - sometimes muddy - gravel road to be shared with agricultural vehicles, I'm considering putting on a set of tyres which gives me some extra traction and grip. Oh, and I usually drive all year round. If it's safe to walk on the road, I'll drive it.

Tips, anyone? Thanks!

2. 10puzzler

10puzzler Member

What you want to get your RS muddy.:(:(

3. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

No tyre advice, but I hope you have an Avantguard and Mudsling front and rear to protect from the inevitable stones and gravel - would be a pity to damage the paintwork , rear strut and radiator during these 12 months - what a pain !!

4. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Right. ......
    Go stand in the corner,go on and face the wall,stay there until you think about what you've just said.;)

Bill the Cat and Andy Griffiths like this.
  5. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

On the other hand, should be fun at times. Better on a bike then in a car.
    In the end, tire technology and the popularity of the GS means you can fine-tune selection of tread, durability, weight, and on-road vibration. Just plug in 90-10 tires (90% road, 10% off-road) or 80-20 tires into Google and sit back. Lots to choose from.

I've never had the time to pull the trigger on this one, but have looked at more dedicated off-road options for the RS in anticipation of a fire road trip in the Rockies. I know there are quite a few guys on the forum who have some dirt or gravel to ride daily and might have an opinion. That said, there is level gravel with a little mud, and then there is steep incline with deep mud and snow with a little gravel. It's a 250 kg bike plus rider, so you'll want to err on the side of traction.

You sound like a pro, and as a cyclist, I know that Belgians understand mud and cobble stones better than most of us, so it won't take you long to look at incline, depth of mud, quality of gravel, and ability, and to match those against percentage of time on road, whether you want to have some fun or just want to keep from getting stuck, and how much you want to spend.

Keep us posted.

Scorch likes this.
  6. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Michelin Anakee III tires seem to work very well on road and are pretty decent off-road. Plus, they give good mileage and are stock on most R1200GS models. I have them on my 2009 F650GS and I am very happy with the tires. Enough so that I plan to replace them with the same tires when they finally wear out.

7. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Do not get the Heideneau tires. Too much traction lost on pavement twisties....it will be severe limit on RS performance.
    I had them on my GS for my trip to Alaska. They are hard rubber, slippery on wet pavement, last a LONG time. For that trip 11,000 miles, they worked well, dirt dirt roads well, and lasted the whole trip. When I got back I took them off and gave them away....still had some tread left.

ray2 likes this.
  8. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

The Michelin site does not show a 180/55 size.

9. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    ray2 likes this.
  10. HoGee

HoGee New Member

Thanks for the advise so far. I'll start my quest for a 90/10 tyre to get through winter. Did anyone actually fit this type of tyre already to their beloved RS?
    I know, I know ... it's like swearing in church, but hey, the RS isn't THAT much different a bike than the GS after all, is it? And I won't drive it standing up while drifting through the corners, I promise! :p

@ray2 : I'm not a pro :cool: but yes, as a Belgian, crappy roads are very familiar to me. There are basically two types of road in Belgium: a road that is being repared, and a road that is in urgent need of repair. :(

11. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

I'm not a pro :cool: but yes, as a Belgian, crappy roads are very familiar to me. There are basically two types of road in Belgium: a road that is being repared, and a road that is in urgent need of repair. :([/QUOTE]
    Sounds just like South Africa :)

12. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Sorry but the nerd in me is screaming.

The RS is quite good on dirt roads as it is with PR4 (my bike). On the dry roads these are fine, when it rains the moderate to narrow sypes load with mud, making the tire a slick.. The Anakee 111 looks to me to have fewer sypes that are not much wider or deeper then it's sister the PR4. To my uninformed opinion I have a hard time seeing why the Anakee 111 is measurable better on the dirt / mud than the stock PR4. i.e. think the widely advertised 90/10 tires are largely just marketing hype for a road tire to be put on GS type bikes..so they don't suffer the shame of admitting to be riding on road tires.

If you are serious about the dirt riding get a tire with a MUCH more open aggressive tread that will get a bite in the mud and not load up and become a slick.

Yep I know this will not be popular comment!

Jeroen1969, HoGee and ray2 like this.
  13. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

I like it.

As you can see - there is no rhyme nor reason to classifying the tires in terms of knobs or land:sea ratios or size of sype....

Anakee 3 - noted above
    [​IMG]

90/10 PR4 trail - just a glorified PR-4.
    [​IMG]

80/20 Mitas MC 30
    [​IMG]

80/20 Metzler Karoo T
    [​IMG]

70/30 Shinko 705
    [​IMG]

60/40 Conti TKC70
    [​IMG]

(Now, I know for sure, we are not being helpful....)

HoGee and Vtbob like this.
  14. Richard230

What size are they using on the R1200GS? I saw a GS Adventurer on my dealer's showroom last weekend and it had Anakee 3 tires on it. :confused:

15. Nomad5326

Nomad5326 Member Contributor

I think for what you are describing that you'll be happy w/the Shinko 705's (my first pick) or the Avon 53/54 Trailrider series that replaced the Avon Distancia which was an excellent tire. I haven't ridden the new Anakees but do not see them for what you're describing. The new TKC-70's I also haven't ridden so interested (the big brother TKC-80 is an excellent tire w/great handling). All of these tires will wear well and handle what you are describing and still not steal from the handling or visual characteristics of the bike, but I'd look for just a bigger tread pattern if dirt/mud/gravel surfaces on top of road.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    HoGee and ray2 like this.
  16. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Member

Avon Trailrider comes in 180/55 ZR-17 and a 120/90 17
    Mike

17. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

170/60 R17 for the back
    120/70 R19 in the front.

The front wheel on the RS is .5" wider than the GS
    The back wheel on the RS is 1" wider than the GS

ray2 likes this.
  18. Richard230

That is interesting. A much heavier bike than the RS with smaller tires that presumably have a lower load rating. :confused:

Jim Evans and ray2 like this.
  19. Last

Last Active Member

Did some off roading with my RS a few times already.

Long suspension travel, rain mode, gear high, smooth, and PR4 tires had it feeling very confident.

I'd look at Avon Trailriders if I wanted more dirt performance. Amazing tires that give up very little on the pavement.

The PR4 tires do fine for my 95/5 usage though.

Jim Evans and ray2 like this.
  20. Last

Last Active Member