No customization options are available.

Nullarbor Plain

Discussion in 'Australasian Riders' started by Michael, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

Have any of you guys ridden or even driven, across the Nullarbor Plain? I'm planning on an October trip, maybe to incorporate the BMW TS Safari being held in the west this year, and I plan to travel over by train and do the return trip on my bike.
    Any advice gratefully received.

2. OW31

OW31 Member

I've driven it, never again. One of the most boring things I've ever done, I would not like to do it on a bike, too much wildlife trying to kill you.

3. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

Hi Michael have done that once on a BMW R1000RT, best advice is no riding at night and carefull at first light and sundown times most active times for all sorts of animals on and crossing the road. book ahead for the motel rooms. Watch for the road trains they have 2 or 3 trailers on them so long way around them for overtaking. Agree with OW31 its very boring so make sure you have some good music to listen to and have to admit I was doing a bit more than the speed limit just to get the trip done. should be no problems with petrol stations but just plan each stop.

4. Michael

OK, thanks guys. Obviously the distances and the wildlife are the issues. I'm pretty sure I can cope with both - take my time and ride at appropriate hours, but my pillion wants to come and I'm not sure she knows what she will be in for. She has low levels of tolerance and has issues, related to the ageing process, with stiffness etc.
    Can you tell me how long the desert section actually is? I know it depends on how fast you ride etc but some indication of hours/days etc would be handy. I'll do some reading on the matter.
    Thanks again.

5. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

HI Michael the Nullarbor starts at Port Augusta and sort of ends at Eucla which is 960km between them. so need to figure out how far you want to go each day on the bike, there is not much to see between them apart from the road houses (fuel stops) and the times your close enough to see the great Australian bight. you might want to look up the small towns along the way for overnight stop and the accommodation they offer. What time of the year are you planning to go? (also remember when you leave WA and go into SA you lose 1.5 hours of time) so would say depending on where you are for starting the trip over and with your partner stiffness bit like me old and stiff joints these days plan on a two day travel and rest up at Port Augusta then make the choice of into NSW or Vic for some sight seeing. I would choice the Murray Valley Hwy nice road and plenty to see and do along the way rather than taking the Hay plains on.

6. Michael

Thanks AT,
    I didn't realise the Nullarbor was less than 1000km. That is good news. It would be an easy three days or 2 days if I pushed it.
    We are thinking of heading over in October, which is when the BMW TS Rally takes place in WA. BMW said they were arranging cheaper freight rates for people shipping their bikes over so I'll try and take advantage of that. I'm thinking of stopping off in Adelaide on the way back and will definitely avoid the Hay Plains and ride on the Murray Valley Highway.
    Time to get Google maps working.
    Thanks again.

7. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

Hi Michael how did the trip go, hope it all went smooth for you.

8. Michael

AT,
    The trip went very well and everything went smoothly. The BMW Safari in WA was excellent with some really great riding. It was well organised and worthwhile travelling the distance. We finished the Safari in Albany and then headed east across the Nullarbor. The roads were good and apart from the omni-present caravans and road trains, traffic was light. Our only issue was a hot northerly wind that blew for three days and made fast riding problematical. I found it easier to slow down to 100 kph which in turn, made the ride a little more boring. IMG_1619.jpg IMG_1616.jpg The photo gives an indication of road conditions.
    The bike ran like a train and we had absolutely no problems for the 6200 kms travelled. After my return, I noticed the throttle was sticking - nothing major but BMW in Canberra replaced the whole unit free of charge with a unit off a showroom bike.
    It's not a trip we would do again in a hurry but it is ticked off the list.

Andy Griffiths likes this.
  9. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Sounds like great trip. Out of interest, what were the symptoms of the sticking throttle? Was it jerky? Felt like it moved in increments? Or stuck on one setting? The reason for asking is the I have had the jerky movement, but only when the temp was over 30. Which, frankly, is not a common problem over here :)

10. Michael

Oscar,
    Yes, it felt like it moved in increments, kind of jerky as you described. The tech mentioned that it when he took the bike to test ride, the throttle only 'stuck' when the bike had warmed up and when he took it over 120 kph. It was not a particularly warm day here when it was tested.

11. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Thanks useful to know they changed the throttle assembly. 6000 mile service tomorrow, so I’ll mention it.