No customization options are available.

Now i have real life experience with Boosterplug

Discussion in 'Exhaust System & Fuel Delivery' started by Benny Østerbye, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

I am ordering a booster plug for my RS. I discovered yesterday, doing some extensive very slow speed/low RPM riding that it was jerky and almost stalled several times. Based on my experience with a BMW F 650GS and my R9T, the BP will solve the problem.

On both of those bikes the BP worked great at resolving low end spitting/sputting/stalling. There was no "adaptation" in the ECU over 3 years and frankly, that can't happen. All the booster plug does is "fool" the ECU into thinking the ambient temperature is lower than it really is. The ECU then richens the idle/very low RPM mixture. It can never "figure" out that the real temperature is higher because the only way it gets its temp data is via the input that is now "interrupted" by the booster plug.

2. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

Brimstone: I would be interested in your report of how this works when you have fitted it- also possibly how you fitted it.

At my 6,000 mile service (bike still in warranty of course), I asked to talk to the mechanic and told him that I thought the fuelling might be too lean at take-off speeds. I said that I had experienced the bike stalling on two occasions and felt that the engine response just off idle was lumpy and rough. I asked about the possibility of some sort of amended re-mapping of the ECU. I probably sounded unsure of myself as I have a poor understanding of electronics but I did say that if it were one of my carburettor driven bikes, I would have diagnosed it running too lean and tried a larger idle jet.

He then suggested to me that my stalling problem was because my tyres were under-inflated! Needless to say, I was not impressed by that but to his credit, he did re-load the software that related to the fuelling for me (see I don't really know what I am talking about here). It has made no difference and I just slip the clutch and 'over rev' the engine on take off, as do we all I suspect. I don't think it is good enough though and would be interested in a cure. In a serious, real world way, the prospect of stalling while pulling out into traffic is not funny and potentially fatal.

3. Brimstone Mahone

I'll let you know! Based on my experience with it on the two other bikes it absolutely resolved the problem you re describing and that I experienced yesterday. I have to admit that normally I do as you do - give it a bit more RPM on take-off than I would have to do on, say, my Norton Commando, which will idle away from a stop in gear or poke along in 3rd at just above idle with no issue at all. It's totally a lean idle/low RPM fuel mixture issue on modern bikes, NOT low tire pressure!! :)

James Kennedy likes this.
  4. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

Mine seems to run just fine and maybe I’ve just adapted. Doesn’t sound like it effects your mixture at cruising speeds and full throttle......or does it?

Aussie Import likes this.
  5. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

US EPA testing really only looks at low speed emissions. Typically, the midrange and top end are tuned for performance. Thus, the snatchiness and stumbling at low revs seems even worse in comparison. I’ve grown accustomed to it and don’t find it too bad on my RS. The liquid-cooling helps a great deal on these new BMWs, but if I were to add a performance pipe I think I would send my ECU to MAX BMW for a new map. The temperature spoofers work at first, but temperature is not the only thing that the ECU considers. There are also HC sensors, fuel flow sensors, and barometric pressure sensors, just to name a few. If the temperature data doesn’t agree with the rest of the sensor information, the engine will adapt until the ECU-prescribed results (usually a specific HC level in the exhaust) are achieved.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  6. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I think you may be right about that. :confused: I installed a Booster Plug on my 2009 F650GS and it worked well for a while. Then the engine seemed to go back to having an abrupt throttle off idle. Right now the throttle action is just as poor as it was before I installed the Booster Plug. :(

7. Benny Østerbye

Benny Østerbye New Member

Hi
    Now I have driven approx. 4000 km with the Booster Plug and the benefits are still the same.
    I am impressed by how steadily and even the engine is at low revolutions.
    This indicates that the Euro4 norm takes the power out of the engine at low revolutions and Booster Plug fix this.
    I dont see any reason to pay 1.000 Euro for a Power Comander or make any other thing at the moment.
    Next will be a DNA or KN airfilter. :)

8. Brimstone Mahone

Installed the BP today. As expected, it totally transformed the idle/low rpm range. The bike will trundle along in 3rd gear just above idle very smoothly. No stuttering/nearly stalling as it did last week under the same conditions. Worked just like it did on the two other BMWs on which I installed it...great! :)

TBH, my 9T and my wife's F650GS was much more affected than the RS by the lean idle/low RPM mixture. I didn't really notice a problem at all on the RS until last week when I specifically was operating at very low RPM in a relatively high gear. This is not a normal mode of operation for me and If I hadn't done that, I probably wouldn't have seen any reason to install a BP on the RS. BUT, now that mode of operation is perfectly smooth...like my Norton Commando! :)

duccrazydave and Benny Østerbye like this.
  9. Benny Østerbye

10. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Guys with Boosterplugs - tell us what the impact is on your fuel consumption, please.

11. Benny Østerbye

Hi GG. No impact on my MC. Still the same. 20-23 km/Liter. 47- 54 miles/gallon. (US)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  12. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

I have the other one “ Accelerator Module “ same thing..can’t say I’ve noticed any diff in consumption..but most definitely smoother and more responsive in the lower rev range..

13. christian Sondergaard

christian Sondergaard New Member

Hi Benny I am a DK rider like you where did you get your boosterplug, and how much did you have to pay ? I have a 2016 model and i feel that it runs uneven or stalling at 2-3000 rpm. For ex. Driving 3 gear 60km/h with Cruise control on is NOT a pleasent experiance.

14. Benny Østerbye

Hi Christian. Boosterplug will fix your problems. Look at: https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/frontpage.html
    Price is about 1.000 dkkr. And you can mount it yourself.

christian Sondergaard likes this.