No customization options are available.

Not too far from Dulles airport

Discussion in 'USA Southeast Riders' started by Mel Wiggins, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Mel Wiggins

Mel Wiggins New Member

Have owned my RS for a couple months now, has anyone taken their bike for a multi-day ride, if so, how many days and how long? What kind of mileage and were there any challenges?

What have been the biggest challenges so far? Someone asked me today what the maintenance costs are and did not know what to say... any comments?

Thanks,
    Mel

2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

My wife and I bought our bikes mid March. In April we took a 10 day trip to the Texas Hill Country and in May a 8 day trip to Virginia. Also a couple midwest weekend trips.
    We live in Iowa.
    We will probably take 10 days in Aug but undecided on where we will go. Maybe around Lake Superior.
    Planning on a 8 day trip to Arkansas in October.
    No challenges to speak of.
    I will be able to do some of the maintenance myself so those costs should not be too bad.
    Tires are never cheap though.

3. Mel Wiggins

Mel Wiggins New Member

Thank you for the quick response. I am trying to determine how far I want to go on my first long trip.

4. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

For me it's a very comfortable bike and a good long distance tourer.

5. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

This is a 500 mile a day bike. The combination of ergos plus fatigue relieving features like cruise control, riding modes, ABS, Satnav and fuel range allow you to ride longer while stile alert. As a matter of fact when I go out on , say a 100 mile ride I feel short changed as the bike is just so good at distance work.
    I did a 700 mile overnight, avoiding motorways wherever possible, round trip recently and didn't want to stop at the end .

6. Mel Wiggins

Mel Wiggins New Member

That is good to know, as I was thinking of riding that or more in a day... though I think I will need to pace myself on my first long outing. I think I will need to get some saddle bags or whatever they are called.

7. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Yes, buy the BMW saddle bags if you decide to tour. We also use the BMW Small Soft Bag 3 on the tail rack.

8. Charlie7

Charlie7 Member

I've done 700 miles days on the bike. I've had it for a year and have taken several long trips. The stock seat starts to hurt my bum after about 400-500 miles and I'm going to either replace it with a Corbin or send it off to have it rebuilt with some firmer foam like Sargent Seats does. I get 50 to 53 miles per gallon cruising at highway speeds. I did add a peg lowering kit to allow me a little more leg room. All in all, one of the best sport touring bikes I've ever owned and I've been riding over 30 years.

9. Charlie7

Charlie7 Member

Maintenance costs are relatively low as it is very easy to work on including valve adjustments. I checked the valves myself at 12,000 miles and all were in spec. Changing the oil, air filter, plugs and final drive are all easy to do by yourself which helps keep costs down.

10. duerrs

duerrs Member

I just completed a 2,700 mile trip out to Yellowstone and Glacier over 8 days. Doing the math, we averaged 338 miles per day with the longest day being 478 miles. I averaged 41/mpg over the entire trip (according to the OBC) with some tanks providing as high as 51 and others as low as 35. The biggest hit to my fuel mileage was speed and wind. Montana has a speed limit of 80mph on the interstate. Couple that with even a slight breeze and the mileage really dips. On one of my worst tanks, I had traveled approximately 160 miles (can't recall exactly) and the computer showed I had a range of 2 miles remaining. I ended up putting 4.4 gallons in the tank.

My biggest (and only) hurdle when riding long days was my knees. Bad knees run in my family, and unfortunately, mine are no exception. When locked in one position (usually slightly bent) for an extended period, they start to ache. I was able to relieve this pain somewhat by extending my legs out and back and also using the passenger foot pegs. The thing that would have allowed me the greatest relief would have been highway pegs. I wanted to be able to stretch my legs out so bad and am quite confident that having this ability would have extended my daily mileage in a big way. I tried resting my legs on the cylinders but it is too hard to hold them there...especially the left cylinder as it does not stick out quite as far. I seen someone had mentioned using a peg lowering kit. I'm curious as to how much this might help my knee situation, and also how much lean angle is given up.

As far as my ass, no complaints using the standard stock seat. I was riding with two others on FJR1300's. One was using an Airhawk and the other a sheepskin pad. Both complained slightly about a sore bum. I was quite pleased with the seat.

So for me the search begins for some highway pegs. I believe in order to install these I'm going to need some engine guards. Any suggestions on a simple guard and pegs would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck and enjoy the RS....It's a wonderful bike!

11. Mel Wiggins

Mel Wiggins New Member

Thank you, I will and hope to find the best out there and any other of the additions that make the bike best for touring, anyone have any pictures and a great setup?

12. Mel Wiggins

Mel Wiggins New Member

I have herd people talk about the Corbin seats, but have never set on one or any other popular seats... I have only set on stock seats.

13. Mel Wiggins

Mel Wiggins New Member

That is encouraging, I will need to read up on doing the maintenance and what are the best options.

14. Mel Wiggins

Mel Wiggins New Member

Thank you, this is very encouraging and hope to ride on trips like you have described... I will need to find a person to make trips like this with... I appreciate great info, such as this.

15. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mel Wiggins

Mel Wiggins New Member

This is an excellent setup and appreciate the pictures. Are they easy to get on the bike and take off, can you secure them or do you take them into the hotel, sorry for all the questions, but I really am excited about setting up for a long trip.

17. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Both the tail bag and side bags are very quick to mount and remove. The side bags lock to the bike. We use BMW bag liners and take those into the motel at night. There are also aftermarket liners that fit the BMW hard bags.
    We take the BMW tail bag into the room at night along with the tank bag.

18. Charlie7

Charlie7 Member

I have put Corbin or similar aftermarket seats on all my bikes. They will feel hard at first as the foam is firmer and more supportive than stock. It will eventually break-in and mold itself to your posterior. Once you sit on a firm, supportive seat no stock seat will do. I must say though that the RS does have a very good stock seat compared to other bikes I've owned.

Aussie Import likes this.
  19. Mel Wiggins

Mel Wiggins New Member

Arkansas has a few rice fields, probably not in October, but the bugs are horrible... I hope the ride goes well. I do like hearing about the experience, as I am a novice at any length... I am used to local and dirt racing only... though the dirt racing was a while ago, lol.

20. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

No flat rice fields in NW Arkansas :) It's great riding, like Virginia and West Virginia.
    Rice fields in NE Ark and south Ark.