No customization options are available.

NorCal to SoCal suggested routes?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Bill the Cat, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Hey fellas,

In May, I'm going to SoCal for a moto tour and I have to get there a day early. The rally point is just past the grapevine. So I'm interested in members routes from SF. Routes I have in mind:

1. Hwy 5- straight shot, lots of truck traffic, boring, but probably the most efficient.
    2. Hwy 99 - no experience with this one. Could be interesting, passes through a few towns where there could be congestion.
    3. Hwy 1 - most scenic, but longest, and takes me the farthest west (can't get much farther than the coastline). Ridden it before, but it's always different.
    4. Hwy 101-25-198-33 - this looks like a lot of country backroads.

Any suggestions? Secret routes?

Many thanks,

Dave

2. Georryan

Georryan Member

Highway 5 is generally faster, but its only two lanes and if you get a lot of trucks and a bit of traffic it can get backed up as people are trying to get ahead of slower drivers.

99 has been reworked and now has 3 lanes most of the way which makes it much better in terms of congestion.

Obviously if you have time and are not traveling on a weekend, highway 1 is beautiful and a bucket list item. I plan on trying to take a trip south that way later this year. It all depends on what you want to deal with in terms of traffic and what kind of time you have on your hands. I usually take I-5, but lately have been taking 99 and its great. If time were not an issue, and it was about the trip more than the destination...I'd take highway 1, or some combo of 1 and 101.

Nomad5326 and Bill the Cat like this.
  3. SoCal RS

SoCal RS Active Member Contributor

Hwy 1/101 for sure if you have the time. If short on time maybe a combination of the I-5 and Hwy 1/101, cutting across the 166 or 46.
    South of the Grapevine? Castaic?

Nomad5326 and Bill the Cat like this.
  4. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

The way things are going lately, weather-wise, I would stay clear of Highway 1 south of Monterey. If it was me, I would take 1 to Monterey, then pick up G16 to Carmel Valley and on to Highway 101. That will get you past the big construction project at Prunedale, which sometimes holds up traffic for an hour to two on the weekends.

5. Bill the Cat

Thanks for the info on 99. I've never been on it. Hwy5 always cracks me up. California has some really beautiful scenery, and some really great road, and sometime the two combine. Then there is the 5, which is all of the ugly put into one road.

6. Bill the Cat

Close to Castaic - Lebec, I believe. I'll look into the 166 and 46.

Thanks Pat!

Dave

7. Bill the Cat

Thanks Richard. Yeah, I was thinking of avoiding Prunedale by 101 to 25 which takes me through Hollister and around that squeeze. Prunedale is trafficy even without construction.

8. LA2PDX

LA2PDX Member

Hwy 5 is a much faster and easier way to get to Lebec from NorCal. And you can do 80-85 most of the way without getting hassled by the CHP. I would take that route and save the scenic rides for the tour.

Bill the Cat likes this.
  9. woolf

woolf Active Member

how about 395 on the east side of the state ? plus there are other routes off the main HWY's , all of the routs south depend o how FAST you need to get to you destination .:rolleyes: :cool: :)

Bill the Cat likes this.
  10. JWMcDonald

JWMcDonald Active Member Contributor

Bill the Cat likes this.
  11. SoCal RS

SoCal RS Active Member Contributor

Thanks Jeff

12. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Anyone that plans to tour California any time during the next year needs to be aware of this map that was in my newspaper today. Some of the best riding in the state is now gone and who knows when it will be back. :( The residents that live in the Big Sur area have to hike a half mile across a foot path around the collapsed bridge to access their side of highway. Supplies are being brought in by helicopter paid for by the residents. Talk about isolation. But the 450 residents do say it is nice an quiet now. 001.JPG

Bill the Cat likes this.