No customization options are available.

Non-responsive Throttle

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by Bali RS, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Bali RS

Bali RS New Member

While riding today at very conservative speeds, my engine light + yellow warning triangle came on, along with the idle speed going up, but the engine not responding to throttle inputs. Twist the throttle and nothing. The bike still moved, because the idle speed was up, maybe to 2,500 rpm.

I could solve the problem by stopping and turning off the ignition briefly, and then restarting. But the problem returned after a few minutes.

Unfortunately, where I live (Bali, Indonesia) the service department of the local dealership is limited, so I thought some of the experts here might have an idea what is causing the problem.

Thanks,

Max

2. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Max, not heard of anything like that on the forum, and I’m an early adopter.
    You might try the GS forum since it’s the same engine.
    Other than that, check for any loose wires, bad fuel, check the wires to the exhaust flap, under the seat etc.
    Good luck, I hope you get sorted out ASAP, otherwise do you have BMW roadside assistance in Bali?? Might be worth a call

Finally where in Bali are you? I was there recently playing dodge the volcano, which so far I believe has remained stubbornly dormant.

Bali RS likes this.
  3. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Did you do anything to the bike recently, like install any new accessories, etc? How many miles, when was the last service, etc. Could be a bad ground.

Bali RS likes this.
  4. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Member

Bali RS, as Grumpy Goat suggested, a recent modification may have led to this problem. Otherwise, I'd trace the wire from the throttle back into the motorcycles interior. I'm not sure if body panel removal is required (I'm at work and not in my garage looking at my RS) but focus on the entire route to the terminating connector for the drive by wire throttle system. A wire tye, cable management clip, or sharp bend in the route may be causing a disconnect/short in the system. If you find nothing, at least disconnect the wire, inspect the connector/wires and re seat the connection. Be certain the ignition is not on when checking and hopefully you have found the problem. Stick.

ray2 and Bali RS like this.
  5. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Member

I'm no expert but that sounds like "limp mode". As for the cause, I was just reading that a throttle calibration error can cause it, in which case all throttle input is ignored.

Cheers

Paul B.

Jim Evans and Bali RS like this.
  6. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

It sounds like Limp Mode.It probably needs to be diagnosed by BMW:(

Jim Evans and Bali RS like this.
  7. Bali RS

Bali RS New Member

Thanks all, for your input.

No modifications lately. Just new tires a couple of hundred kms ago. All good (actually all great) after the new tires.

I limped to BMW today, only to find out that they don't have the diagnostic tool at the shop to have the bike tell us where it hurts, so to speak. Please don't get me started on this. It's great living in Bali, but there are downsides. Like a certified BMW dealership, which sells bikes, but cannot even start to service them, except to do grease monkey stuff like changing oil and filter, and maybe lubing the kickstand. So Mickey Mouse, and so frustrating.

From what I have read, the problem is likely a throttle valve sensor, but without knowing which side, and if that is really the problem, I am not about to order parts, which will likely take weeks to arrive.

Is there any product (software) available to help me determine which sensor or other electrical component is causing the problem? The dealership here has the cable, but no tool and no software to do the diagnosis.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Max

8. Bali RS

Bali RS New Member

I'm in the Ubud area. The volcano is calming down at last

No roadside assistance here. Haha. They don't even have proper assistance when you come to the dealership yourself. Grrrrrr.

9. kenf

kenf New Member

Max,
    There is a tool made to plug into your electronic system on the RS. It's called a GS-911 wifi. It's made by WWW.hexcode.co.za. It's small enough to fit in a tank bag. Also, I'm not sure if the GS-911 will read that fault, but it would make sense that it would as it's part of the whole electronic system on the RS. It may be worth considering sending an email to hexcode. There's information on Youtube.com as well regarding the GS-911. The code reader here in the US sells for about $400.00 plus shipping. I believe hexacode is in South Africa. If anything, for future situations you could at least reset or identify what's not working in the electrical system. All the best.
    kenf

Stick Rockwell likes this.
  10. Bali RS

Bali RS New Member

Thanks Kenf,

I did see that product online. Is that the only one out there, or does anyone know of another similar product that might be better?

I will work through my options with BMW first. Unfortunately, another downside to living in Bali is getting things shipped here is risky. Expensive items get held up in customs while they wait for you to pay the "duty" which is really a bribe. Corruption is alive and well in Indonesia ☹

I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Max

11. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Try the search function on this form for the alternative and much cheaper solution re the GS 911.

Bali RS likes this.
  12. oscarguitar

Max,

If your dealer doesn’t have the computer, I know it’s a long shot, but would it be possible for BMW to get the software on the car version at a BMW car dealership and connect it up somehow?

I must admit it’s odd that a dealership can sell a bike they can’t service. Especially when all other BMW bikes for the last 15 years must have some sort of electronic brain that needs checking out!

Finally how on earth do you ride an R1200RS on those roads (which are awful) and surrounded by about a million overloaded scooters. I was there for a couple of weeks recently. The road from Seminyak to Ubud is just plain crazy. You are either very courageous or mad! On the basis you bought a bike no one can fix I think it’s the latter!

I hope you find a solution soon. Maybe one of our Auzzie members can get some parts to you somehow if needed?

13. Bali RS

Bali RS New Member

Mad as a Hatter! That's me.

No, actually, when I bought the bike, (two actually, because I have an R nineT as well), there was a proper dealer, and he promised me he was "here for the long run" and not to worry about service or parts. Well, the long run for him (scoundrel) was about a year and a half. And although a new dealership has opened, they have not gotten properly set up yet. In time, it will happen.

To answer your question, it is not the computer they don't have. The software is missing.

And as for driving a big bike here, not all the roads are as bad as you suggest. If you spent most of your Bali time in Kuta, Seminyak or Legian, you really missed out. On many levels. The roads to the north of Ubud are amazing, and not over crowded. And the big, big plus is that no matter what you do, or how fast you drive, you will never ever get a ticket. That is worth quite a bit, in my opinion.

P.S. My third bike is a Ducati Diavel, so try that if you think driving an R 1200 RS on these roads is crazy.

Ciao for now,

Max

Scorch and Leon.P. like this.
  14. oscarguitar

Never went to Kuta, seminyak only for a couple of nights then Ubud, Gili Air, Lombok and Jimberan then home. Agreed, I have only scratched the surface (second visit and I will be back for a third)
    Hope you get sorted soon. Surely the software can’t be that difficult to get hold of if they have the computer and the lead to connect it.
    Crazy, but then it seems like that fits right in. :D

15. Bali RS

Bali RS New Member

It is a Third World island, there is no doubt about that. You have to take the bad with the good. Luckily, the good outweighs the bad, except for those days when your advanced motorcycle breaks down.

Leon.P. and Phillo like this.
  16. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Member

Max, if the dealer has the GS-911, then the software is merely a download from the site, WWW.hexcode.co.za, that kenf mentioned in an earlier post. The downloads are available for windows, mac, and IOS and Android phones. The tool has the connector to attach to your RS as well as other BMW Motorrad models. I've considered purchasing the tool for the diagnostic and service interval resets as I prefer to service what I ride. Naturally it also helps to know what is wrong with your bike when you have either warranty and our of warranty service performed by a dealer, as well as to being able to reset a code and possibly return to normal operation.

Safe riding.

17. Bali RS

Bali RS New Member

Problem Solved !!

One of the mechanics at the shop put on his thinking hat, and figured it might be the throttle grip itself causing the problem. So he took one off a new bike and tried it on my bike, and it worked.

So I just had to organize that part, because they had none in all of Indonesia. Luckily I had a friend in Singapore for the day, and she got one from the better equipped dealer there. $350 SGD later (about $260 USD) and the bike is as good as new.

Thanks to the Forum members for your support and helpful tips though.

Cheers,

Max

Attached Files:

18. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Great news. Your problem falls into the weird but possible basket!

PaulB_UK likes this.
  19. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Member

Who’d a thunket! Good to be on the road again. Thanks for the follow up.