No customization options are available.

New Tyres

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by Bikepirate, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Bikepirate

Bikepirate New Member

Just had Bridgestone Battlax T30R tyres fitted on my 1200 in place of the factory Metzlers. What a difference! Better cornering (the bike leans in easier) and more comfort.

I had these tyres fitted to my R1150RS and was always pleased with them. Price is good also.

2. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank Contributor

I let out a sigh of relief upon reading this post....... Sir I salute you on your decisiveness. :)

m1bjr, ray2 and TassieRob like this.
  3. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

I ran the Bridgestone Battlax on both my Yamaha FJR1300a and liked them, so it may be time to try them on the 1200rs. Love to know what distance you get out of this set. Enjoy.:)

Jim Evans and TassieRob like this.
  4. lars Ormvold

lars Ormvold Active Member

Have on order Michelin Pilot 5 which will replace my Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT. Have used up some sets of PR4, but curious on the newer type. Time will show if this was a vice decision . . . . .

5. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank Contributor

I see in this week's MCN they've been testing the new T31..... On the RS.

Leon.P. likes this.
  6. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

T31 - is that the new Arnie replacement for the terminator film?

7. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

A pair of new Cheng Shin tyres would feel awesome compared to a set of shagged Z8s. Come back after 5000 miles and tell us how the T30s feel...

boxerboy and Leon.P. like this.
  8. Bikepirate

Bikepirate New Member

Good point Wessie! I guess it depends upon the type of riding carried out. If you do lots of highway riding you get wear in the tyre centre which effects the tyre profile markedly. If however you do a lot of riding in the "twisties" (which I do!) then you get more even wear over the whole tyre profile. Typically, I get well over 10,000 kms from my tyres but if I find that the performance is lacking then I can always replace them earlier. I pay $A350 for both tyres, fitted and dynamically balanced.

BTW my tyre expert reckons the BMW recommended tyre pressures are incorrect. he reckons no more than 34/36psi (front/rear, cold) as this gives more tread area on the road and improves stability. Higher pressures, as recommended by BMW, decreases the tread area.

9. Leon.P.

That may be right Bikepirate. That thought crossed my mind as I put 42-36 PSI into my tyres on the weekend.:confused:

10. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

My gut and previous experience tells me that the BMW pressures are a bit high. I used 36 / 41 for years. I now hover around 100 kg (a bit under, actually) but I have been over that at times. And, of course, you have to add on the riding gear. Today my TPM is telling me 2.4 / 2.8 bar. Tonight it may be 2.5 / 2.9 as it is temperature sensitive. The specified figures are 2.5 / 3.0.
    On the "S" I could tell when the front fell from 36 to 33 or so from the feedback through the bars. I could not tell any difference with back tyre variations.
    The TPM does make me a bit more attentive than I was previously

Dave likes this.
  11. Leon.P.

With the Yamaha FJR1300a the tyre pressure was 39-36 and in the next model it jumped to 42 -36 . Same bike different tyre pressure.Why??

Dave likes this.
  12. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Marketing fuel economy perhaps?

Tire pressures within the as-designed range for the load being carried is fine, and within that range the lower the pressure the bigger the contact patch, the higher the pressure the smaller the contact patch. Rolling resistance is proportional to the size of the contact patch and as a result fuel economy decreases, as resistance increases.

Jim Evans and Leon.P. like this.
  13. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Besides likely increasing fuel economy slightly, I also believe that the vehicle manufacturers believe that a higher tire pressure will help in protecting their expensive cast aluminum wheel rims from pot hole dings. In the case of the tire companies, higher tire pressures will likely allow them to increase their tire mileage claims. I don't think anyone is very concerned about how the rider thinks about the entire subject anymore. :rolleyes:

Grumpy Goat and Leon.P. like this.
  14. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Different strokes for different folks...all a matter of opinion and personal preference I guess..fwiw as I’ve posted elsewhere before I always run 10% higher than recommended pressure...I find the bike handles better...front doesn’t cup as quickly and having done some little home experiments I’m dammed if I can see or measure any appreciable difference in the footprint/ contact patch..just my 2 cents or tuppence worth :)

Jim Evans likes this.
  15. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Same thing with my R1200ST = solo is 32/36 but 36/42 Front/Rear when two up and luggage
    Same apprx weight of bike, same 17' wheels, same tyres!
    Now the RS ESA etc has just 36/42 for all settings and the suspension does the rest.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Leon.P. and Jim Evans like this.
  16. Leon.P.

I weigh 77 kilos. 170 Lbs. 12. Stone. Having the tyres at maximum pressure I feel most bumps and feel that dropping the tyre pressure and even a softer spring could be the go. I leave the bike set on road and just ride but I'm sure this suspension could be better with a softer spring.:)