No customization options are available.

New Schubert C4 Helmet

Discussion in 'Helmets, Leathers, Boots and Gloves' started by Vtbob, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

I was at the shop this past weekend and tried on a C4. I went with the same size as my C3pro and it fit about the same (for the 5 minutes that I was wearing it). Maybe I've just worn out the inside of my C3, but the liner on the C4 is plush. It felt really comfortable. Flip mechanism and drop down visor same as C3 which is good. Not sure I like the spring actuated chin vent, but ok. The only flaw I could mention from NOT riding with it would be the little doors that snap closed over the SC system. I can see losing the battery side one pretty easily and if that happens you'll have to bodge it with duct tape until you can get a new one.

2. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

That's terrible! I put my C3 in those often when I park. Thanks for bringing that up!

3. MillerStorm

MillerStorm Member

So, here's how the saga ends: I returned the helmet. I had the opportunity to ride with someone's C4 with the comms system and here are my thoughts (and I'll start with the positive): The C4 is larger than the C3 Pro (doesn't fit in the R1200 side cases!). There is more space in front of my nose. On the C3 Pro, I can graze the tip of my nose on the front of the helmet if I push the helmet in. Not a chance on the C4. The visibility is even better than the C4. The larger coverage of the pinlock gets the lines out of the field of vision. The helmet feels more comfortable. The ear cups are larger. Now the bad: This helmet is considerably louder than the C3 Pro! I think it has to do with the fact that it is a little more open under the chin and neck roll. In fact, the chin flap was flapping into my chin. Perhaps it has to do with the overall size of the helmet. Whatever it is, it's louder and that is bad. Now the terrible: The comms system is bunk. We've covered that it has no noice cancelling properties. I don't know why they even mention that feature because it doesn't do a damn thing. The volume doesn't go loud enough to hear over the wind noise. Literally useless above 50 mph. I tried phone calls and they couldn't hear what I was saying at all. The whole thing is infuriating so my helmet went back. If you have a C3 Pro, hang on to it. You will not be happy with the C4. If you have some other brand of helmet, perhaps the C4 is better but I don't think it's worth the price. Schuberth has to do a lot of work on this helmet to make it right. Or perhaps it's time for another brand.

Lee and Bill the Cat like this.
  4. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Great write up MS. With the C4 +comms being over $1100 US, this is a big investment and it's good to see such a frank report about it. You won't get this from the bike magazines or sellers. Revzilla is usually pretty good in pointing out flaws, but at the end of the day, they want to sell (expensive) helmets.

MillerStorm likes this.
  5. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

Yes, thanks for the report! I was going to buy the C4. Now I'm gonna no to wait and look for a possible alternative... personaly I never liked built in comms as they are expensive and speakers don't perform at higher speeds without active noise control.

MillerStorm likes this.
  6. Stef

Stef Member

Anyone tried the BMW 6 EVO or BMW 7 EVO? Cost about the same as the C4.

7. cushman

cushman Active Member

The speakers are actually great at speed - I rode 600 miles this past weekend and they were fine, I can even listen to podcasts on the highway if I like. The TRICK is to use the app to enable "audio boost". See the screenshot of the app I posted on page 4.

Agreed the microphone sucks. Nobody can hear me when I'm going over 15mph. The speakers in the helmet are fine.

8. Mans Ulvestahl

Mans Ulvestahl Member

I have, and ordered one :)
    Bought a C4, but it didn't fit at all. Went for System 7. A perfect fit.

9. Stef

Stef Member

Did you have a ride with it? Saw some reviews suggesting that the quality of this helmet built by AGV was not up to the same standard as the Schubert built EVO6?

10. Mans Ulvestahl

Mans Ulvestahl Member

I only used the C4 for prolly two hours.
    The quality seemed OK.