No customization options are available.

New Schubert C4 Helmet

Discussion in 'Helmets, Leathers, Boots and Gloves' started by Vtbob, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

I was at the shop this past weekend and tried on a C4. I went with the same size as my C3pro and it fit about the same (for the 5 minutes that I was wearing it). Maybe I've just worn out the inside of my C3, but the liner on the C4 is plush. It felt really comfortable. Flip mechanism and drop down visor same as C3 which is good. Not sure I like the spring actuated chin vent, but ok. The only flaw I could mention from NOT riding with it would be the little doors that snap closed over the SC system. I can see losing the battery side one pretty easily and if that happens you'll have to bodge it with duct tape until you can get a new one.

2. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

That's terrible! I put my C3 in those often when I park. Thanks for bringing that up!

3. MillerStorm

MillerStorm Member

So, here's how the saga ends: I returned the helmet. I had the opportunity to ride with someone's C4 with the comms system and here are my thoughts (and I'll start with the positive): The C4 is larger than the C3 Pro (doesn't fit in the R1200 side cases!). There is more space in front of my nose. On the C3 Pro, I can graze the tip of my nose on the front of the helmet if I push the helmet in. Not a chance on the C4. The visibility is even better than the C4. The larger coverage of the pinlock gets the lines out of the field of vision. The helmet feels more comfortable. The ear cups are larger. Now the bad: This helmet is considerably louder than the C3 Pro! I think it has to do with the fact that it is a little more open under the chin and neck roll. In fact, the chin flap was flapping into my chin. Perhaps it has to do with the overall size of the helmet. Whatever it is, it's louder and that is bad. Now the terrible: The comms system is bunk. We've covered that it has no noice cancelling properties. I don't know why they even mention that feature because it doesn't do a damn thing. The volume doesn't go loud enough to hear over the wind noise. Literally useless above 50 mph. I tried phone calls and they couldn't hear what I was saying at all. The whole thing is infuriating so my helmet went back. If you have a C3 Pro, hang on to it. You will not be happy with the C4. If you have some other brand of helmet, perhaps the C4 is better but I don't think it's worth the price. Schuberth has to do a lot of work on this helmet to make it right. Or perhaps it's time for another brand.

Kevin Neustadt, Lee and Bill the Cat like this.
  4. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Great write up MS. With the C4 +comms being over $1100 US, this is a big investment and it's good to see such a frank report about it. You won't get this from the bike magazines or sellers. Revzilla is usually pretty good in pointing out flaws, but at the end of the day, they want to sell (expensive) helmets.

MillerStorm likes this.
  5. shootersteve77

Yes, thanks for the report! I was going to buy the C4. Now I'm gonna no to wait and look for a possible alternative... personaly I never liked built in comms as they are expensive and speakers don't perform at higher speeds without active noise control.

MillerStorm likes this.
  6. Stef

Stef Active Member

Anyone tried the BMW 6 EVO or BMW 7 EVO? Cost about the same as the C4.

7. cushman

cushman Active Member

The speakers are actually great at speed - I rode 600 miles this past weekend and they were fine, I can even listen to podcasts on the highway if I like. The TRICK is to use the app to enable "audio boost". See the screenshot of the app I posted on page 4.

Agreed the microphone sucks. Nobody can hear me when I'm going over 15mph. The speakers in the helmet are fine.

8. Mans Ulvestahl

Mans Ulvestahl Member

I have, and ordered one :)
    Bought a C4, but it didn't fit at all. Went for System 7. A perfect fit.

Scorch likes this.
  9. Stef

Stef Active Member

Did you have a ride with it? Saw some reviews suggesting that the quality of this helmet built by AGV was not up to the same standard as the Schubert built EVO6?

10. Mans Ulvestahl

Mans Ulvestahl Member

I only used the C4 for prolly two hours.
    The quality seemed OK.

11. shootersteve77

Anyone know where we can look at the BMW helmets in the states? Don't see any on websites.

12. Jodie Goodall

Jodie Goodall Member

I tried a system 7 on yesterday and I want it! $950AUD need more $$$$ so overtime here I come

13. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I don't think it's sold in the US.

14. shootersteve77

Yes, looks like I'll have to find the BMW helmet in Europe next time I'm over there. I found the C4 at a dealer and was not impressed with it's larger size shell. I guess it's ventilation is better but I think it lost it's good looks. I'll wait for lots of reviews before I consider it. My C3 that I'm using now is still in good shape so no rush.

The US has to be a huge market for the BMW helmet, I would think the dealers would love to have them to sell.

15. tuco

tuco Member Contributor

Overall I've found the C4 to be an improvement on the C3 Pro [and BMW EVO 6].
    Integrated bluetooth (BT) comms. worked fine, as mentioned above engage the audio boost and back-off the volume a little (as it may distort).
    I used the comms. in very basic mode, paired with GPS for directions only (no A2DP), no music and no talking.
    I used the helmet for 3 days in wet conditions, no misting issues on the open road, in towns/lower speeds the visor had to be opened
    slightly to stop misting (of the visor). I wear glasses, they remained clear at all times.
    I found the peripheral vision better than the C3 Pro and BMW EVO6.
    In my case, I found the helmet was less noisy than the C3 Pro and BMW EVO6
    The battery is secured with a plastic catch, it will not fall out.
    The helmet didn't require charging over the 3 days, using GPS for 4-5 hours per day [no music, no talking], which is a huge
    improvement on the BMW EVO6 and C3 Pro bluetooth systems, the best I could get out of either of these was 1.5 to 2 days.
    It takes a while to get used to the BT comms. buttons, especially having to press both +/- buttons to turn the BT comms on, while driving
    the bike.

At this stage I've nothing negative to report.

16. shootersteve77

Nice to hear that at least one member likes the C4.

17. cushman

cushman Active Member

Two, actually.

18. cushman

cushman Active Member

One note - I paired the C4 with my wife's Sena SMH10R on a ride the other day and we talked without a problem. So the mic issue sounds like it is only when talking over the phone, not when helmet-to-helmet. Likely something that can be fixed by a firmware upgrade.

19. rclompus

rclompus Active Member

I tried on the Schubert C4 helmet last week at Revzilla in Philadelphia. Nice shop that lots of informative review videos on their website. I've had all of the C helmets and one S helmet. As soon as new version comes out, I usually feel compelled to upgrade to the new technology. The C4 is just plain big. Wearing it in the shop, it just wasn't a compelling change over the C3 Pro. The left half of the neck strap was very short. Perhaps this is an adjustment for each user. I cut my hand taking the helmet off. Never a good sign with a new design. It would have been great to compare it to the new BMW System 7 carbon helmet. BMW doesn't sell their helmets in the U.S. About 10 years ago, I ordered the BMW sport integral carbon fiber that was the lightest production helmet ever made: 1000 grams. It was the most expensive helmet I ever bought. Hand made in Italy for BMW, limited production, purchased from Designer Helmets in the UK (www.designerhelmets.com). Its so light, your neck will thank you after a long ride. For those that are interested, here is the helmet review on Web Bike World (https://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-sport-integral-helmet-review). Eventually, Schubert or BMW will offer a smart helmet that will make my riding even more enjoyable and safe. For now, the C3Pro is just fine with an iPod and a pair of Bose noise cancelling earphones.
    Ride safe,
    Richard

Attached Files:

20. shootersteve77

I really don't understand why BMW doesn't import their helmets in the US. I understand it's costly to get approved but, they would sell like crazy here. I may order the new BMW helmet from Europe, but I'd rather buy one here. I agree that the latest Schuberth helmets are a disappointment. Not sure why they made them larger, their small size was a great selling point. I also think pre-installing a comm system is a waste of money and space. I need room for earbuds and the pre-installed speakers usually get in the way.