No customization options are available.

New Schubert C4 Helmet

Discussion in 'Helmets, Leathers, Boots and Gloves' started by Vtbob, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Grrrr.... for the price tag of helmet + SC1, it *should* be noise canceling.

2. cushman

cushman Active Member

I'm biased, I have one, but Shuberth/Sena could possibly fix this later in a firmware upgrade. The hardware is all there for the noise cancellation, all that is required is someone to upgrade the firmware to take advantage of that.

Maybe if they get enough complaints...

3. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

What is the power source? Is it possible that the noise cancelling would draw so much power for the unsupported functions that Sena deliberately restricted its operation?

4. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

That's a very good point. When i used them for aviation several years ago they notoriously went through batteries (if they weren't powered through the aircraft) I think they have improved over the last few years but powering "full time" electronic noise cancellation could be an issue.

5. Bill the Cat

What I like about the current SC1 system is that the battery is drop in, so if noise cancelling would be a power hog, then one could just buy additional batteries. My C3pro has the integrated system with a fixed battery, so it has to be charged.

Also for those who have taken the plunge, there is an SC1 and and SC1A (advanced). As far as I can tell, the "advanced" simply gives you FM radio and farther distance with intercoms?

6. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

I believe sc1a claims a much longer battery life as well.

7. Bill the Cat

Cool. Thanks!

8. MillerStorm

MillerStorm Member

I got a little bit more info today.

First from Schuberth Germany in response to my reiterating how this system is marketed on their website: "Well it does do that, unfortunately just not to the extent that you were expecting. I apologize for the misunderstanding. I’ll definitely put word into the marketing department to let them know of this."

And secondly from Sena: "Enabling the advanced Noise Control it reduced the background noises to all features, not just the intercom. [sic]"

I don't know what to make of it. And, obviously, the second I ride with it, I own it.

9. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Member

Surely that's just the capacity of the battery?
    But these battery's won't be actually made by Schuberth - they will used elsewhere
    So why don't we look for the same battery with a greater amps/hour and replace it
    Saves shelling out for the advanced SC-1 unless of course you need the music?

10. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

I use two different types of noise cancelling headsets. Batteries are not an issue. The earbuds I use have a tiny battery module on the wire, and I've never had it lose power yet before I recharge anyway. Bose claims they last 16 hours on a two hour charge.

To and Fro likes this.
  11. cushman

cushman Active Member

They have two models, the SC1A (Advanced) and SC1S (Standard). I have the SC1S. The main difference between the two is that the SC1A has:
    • FM Radio
    • Music Sharing
    • Speed Dial
    I don't think there is a difference in effective distance.
    I have the SC1S, advertised with the "Advanced Noise Control". I agree the website is misleading about noise control: https://www.schuberth.com/us/products/motorbikes/communication-systems/sc1-standard.html

To make this more confusing, Sena also states here: http://oemsena.com/oem-schuberth/ that the SC1(A/S) is equivalent to their 10U model that fits into other brands of helmets (Shoei, Arai). The 10U website https://www.sena.com/product/10U/ states:

I can state that my SC1S with firmware version 1.0 does NOT CURRENTLY offer always-on noise cancelling. I can tell absolutely NO difference with the unit powered off or powered on, even if it is disconnected, connected with my phone or connected and playing music. I own both Beats and Bose noise cancelling headsets and if I compare the function of those headphones with my helmet there is no comparison (or possibly so little that it doesn't make a difference in the helmet). Furthermore, on the app it explicitly states that the noise control is for intercom use only. I can only hope that a future firmware upgrade will enable always-on noise cancelling that reduces wind noise. This seems like a very doable thing since they are advertising this feature for the 10U and also advertising it for the SC1(A/S). It was likely a feature left out to get the product out the door, and someone from engineering forgot to tell the marketing folks to change the website copy. As far as draining the battery for noise cancelling, the SC1(A/S) advertise a 14 hour active battery life. If they enabled noise cancelling I doubt it would take more than an hour off this.

For music playback I've enabled audio boost in the app which made a huge difference in the volume of the helmet. With earplugs I can now listen to podcasts or music with a significant improvement in volume and clarity. Music is clear and has a good audio range from lows to highs with no distortion. I'm extremely happy with the helmet quality, airflow, audio volume, fit/finish, venting, function of the modular flip-up, integrated sun visor. Not happy with the noise cancelling feature or the microphone volume for people who want to hear me. Hopefully these two items can be fixed in a firmware upgrade by Sena.

MillerStorm likes this.
  12. cushman

cushman Active Member

Here are 2 screenshots from the app showing the functionality:
    Screenshot_20170820-104554.png Screenshot_20170820-104601.png

MillerStorm likes this.
  13. MillerStorm

MillerStorm Member

Thank you for that, Cushman. Today, I'm leaning towards keeping the helmet. It will at least iron out some of the annoyances I have with the C3 Pro, namely the terrible SRC system, the boom mic, loud whistling when I turn my head, distracting pin lock lines and poor airflow. I could shop around for a whole other helmet but I don't think anyone else does one with a fully integrated comms system or at least to this degree. I'll continue to hope for a firmware upgrade or even a SC1 replacement cartridge down the road that includes proper noise cancelling.

Oh, one more question: How is the visor snap mechanism working for you? It seems rather flimsy to me and doesn't want to stay closed. I may need to adjust the visor.

14. cushman

cushman Active Member

So far I'm not having a problem with the snap mechanism. It does seem flimsy to me also, but I haven't had any issues. My visor snaps down fine and has never come up without me wanting it to! One user problem (me) is that sometimes when I open the visor I shut the chin vent, but that probably just takes a little getting used to.

15. MillerStorm

MillerStorm Member

Funny that you mention that. That is another of the gripes I have about the C3 Pro. I was hoping the new mechanism would keep that from happening.

16. Hugh

Hugh Member

How do you get the APP to work with the C4? I have had no luck. perhaps I am using the wrong one.

17. cushman

cushman Active Member

Are you using the Schuberth branded app? Search for "Schuberth" in whatever app store you are in. I don't think the stock Sena app will connect. You also have to have bluetooth on and paired to the phone.

18. MillerStorm

MillerStorm Member

Yet another strike against it: The C4 is too big to fit in the panniers. I'll try my top case tomorrow.

19. Hugh

Hugh Member

Cushman, Many thanks. I was trying to use Sena App which did not work. What sort ear plugs do you use with the C4?

20. cushman

cushman Active Member

Last likes this.