No customization options are available.

New F750GS and F850GS

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Lee, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Martien

Martien Member

Not really, beginners licence: A1 125cc/15 hp max. (in many countries like UK and Italy you get this with your car drivers licence), untill 24 years A2 licence: 48 hp max. , after that A unlimited: anything you want ;)

2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Don't know, but BMW has done it for a long time with the F series bikes.

3. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

As the owner of a 2009 F650GS, I am well aware of that. The only reason I can think of to detune the "750" to such an extent is to encourage buyers to upgrade to the "850". However, it didn't work for me. ;)

Attached is the difference in power curves between the old 650, like mine, and the 800 version. As you can see, there is only about a 10 hp difference between the old 650 and the 800. That is a much less difference than the new 750 and 850 models. :confused: Photos 188.jpg

Vtbob likes this.
  4. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

[QUOTE=" The "750", with the same 850cc engine as the "850" makes 18 hp less than the "850". I wonder how BMW managed to do that. It must have been a real struggle to lop almost 20% off of the power peak. :rolleyes:
    http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/first-look-2018-bmw-f850gs-and-f750gs.html[/QUOTE]

I suspect BMW did this exactly the way they have been doing it since I bought a F65oGS twin back in 2010. See my post a few back which outlines the differences. I suspect the new F750GS and F850GS is done in a very similar manor.

5. Richard230

In other news: it has just been reported on the F800Riders forum that a new, fully factory optioned, F750GS, is being marketed for the equivalent of $17,700 USD in Italy. It makes me shutter to think what the F850GS might go for. :eek:

The base, completely-stripped, you will never be able to buy one of those, F750GS has a list price of 10,000 Euros in Italy. Those factory-installed options sure sound expensive. :eek:

6. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Same as their cars - I have a 114D (one series sport!) which is a 1.6 diesel because ....
    The 116d has the same 2.o litre diesel as does the 120d model.
    Using the 116/120 is the same engine but different power outputs, then they had to use 114 for the 1.6 for the smaller engine.
    Pretty sure some of the 325/335 and others have the same engines, 4 or 6 cylinders but mark the power output by the last two digits.
    Friends 530D saloon I think was a high output 2.5 rather then the lower output 525?
    Using the same engine with different outputs probably helps in some markets where power to weight affect insurance or tax bands.
    Also using same engine probably helps on costings, economy of scale.

7. mrj

mrj Member

For cars, it's a marketing thing so they have more models at different power and prices. Also changes the CO2 output, hence taxes (big thing in Europe; e.g. can go up to 10k Euros in France additional to VAT on a new car). The lower end power makes it possible to avoid or limit those taxes.
    There are some differences though, on engine side parts (e.g. 1 or 2 turbos - even 3 or 4 for specific high end Diesel models - and adapted cooling units...).
    BMW has mainly a single 500cc cylinder design (1 for unleaded and 1 for Diesel). They make 3 main engines with it: 3cyl 1.5 liter, 4cyl 2L, 6cyl 3L (v8 and above are specific).
    The commercial name e.g. 20i, 35d... isn't that straight forward to decode as it has changed over time and isn't anymore related to cc. It is also different depending on the series... It's more of a power indication.
    Even the 30 name can now be associated to 2L 4cyl engine. For example the current 430d is a 3L, but the 430i is a 2L with about the same hp (~ 250-260). Current 25 is typically a mid/high-end 2L 4cyl engine (~ 220hp)...
    Motorbikes names are much more straight forward to decode!

Martien, Richard230 and Dave like this.
  8. mrj

mrj Member

The new F850GS is 12 kg heavier than the F800GS and even 1 kg heavier than a S1000XR (but 15 kg less vs. the 1200GS).
    Looks like it's plenty of modern features, but I'm looking forward to reviews to understand how good it is. If you don't do enduro stuff, not sure how it's going to differentiate from the S1000XR or the lower price/weight F800GS...
    Also I'll be interested seeing what they'll come up with when fitting the F850 engine into an F850GT, if they do. Could be an awesome bike if they keep it light and just add more torque/power to the F800GT.

9. Martien

Martien Member

The 2018 prices have just been published here for the Netherlands, this includes all taxes and delivery/shipping costs. But without any options of course, which easily adds another 20% to the price (and BMW's profits ;)):

F Serie
    K73-11 F 800 R 0B54 € 10.644
    K71 F 800 GT 0B53 € 12.644
    K80 F 750 GS 0B08 € 10.944
    K81 F 850 GS 0B09 € 13.894

K75 F 800 GS Adventure 0B55 € 14.544

R Serie
    K53 R 1200 R 0A04 € 15.444
    K54 R 1200 RS 0A05 € 16.194
    K50 R 1200 GS 0A51 € 18.794
    K51 R 1200 GS Adventure 0A02 € 20.444
    K52 R 1200 RT 0A03 € 20.744

Richard230 likes this.
  10. Richard230

Rider magazine, in their February issue, mentions that in the U.S., the price of the F750GS will be $10,195 and the price of the F850GS will be $12,895 USD. Anyone want to bet that those are "base" prices that no one will see on anything but the top of a dealer's sticker, followed by a long list of options on the bike that will drive its price up another $3,000. :rolleyes: One interesting comment is that both bikes will have tubeless tires, even the 850 with its 21/17 inch spoked wheels. Both models are said to be available sometime in the second quarter of this year.

11. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Active Member

My first thought when deciding to come over was the F800GT. My test ride went from a rough paved surface with multiple construction realignments for a few miles to a divided highway with a decent surface. The first part was unbearable from a suspension perspective and on the second I couldn't help but take notice of an uncomfortable buzzy feel from the bike at speed. It was then that I decided to search for a deal on an RS. Thankfully, several months later, a different dealer (there's only 3 in the entire state of Virginia) had a sweet deal on a demo that I couldn't pass up. From my limited experience with the F Series, somethings needed serious improvement. Stick.

12. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

The reason why I did not buy the F800 was its motor lacked the character of the Yamaha TRX 850 with its 270 degree crank. I kept my flat twin instead. The bike was good, light, narrow. But I could not find its soul.

13. mrj

mrj Member

I had a F800GT for few years and loved it. Perfect bike for multipurpose use. I tend to disagree with you Stick about the bike behavior (it's a safe and rather comfortable bike in my opinion, and it's rather light) but I agree with Aussie Import the engine lacks character and that's why I ended up buying the R1200RS to replace it.

14. Martien

Martien Member

I liked the handling and agility of my F700GS, the engine was ok. A bit buzzy and viby at high revs, but the low end torque was good, so was riding it mostly at lower revs.
    Didn't really like the adventure styling, but the deal breaker for me was the back ache I got from the upright position, the sportier seating on the RS is much better for me. :)

Still rode the GS for almost 15000 km last year before trading up to the RS, and still think the F series are nice bikes if you don't want the power or the weight of a big bike, like an RS, RT or a boxer GS.

15. Richard230

I have ridden my 2009 F650GS twin for 41,000 miles so far and (frankly) I like riding that bike more than riding my RS as long as I don't use it for any long freeway trips. On the freeway the RS excels, but it is just too heavy and cumbersome on the little mountain back roads where I prefer to ride. I don't find that the engine vibrates any more than my RS does and I do like getting 60-70 mpg while using regular grade fuel. Plus, unlike my RS, it starts with just one push of the button during the summer and fall seasons. :rolleyes:

Vtbob likes this.
  16. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I've had the new F800R a couple of times as a loaner when my bike is being serviced or has undergone warranty work. I've really enjoyed riding them. Not as much as the RS however. I felt like the RS is 'proper' and the F800R is a bit of a toy. Cruel I know and unfair but that's how they feel to me. I also had a F800GS on loan and didn't warm to it. The new F850GS promises much and would be a bike I'd love to try with a view to it being a 2nd bike, if finances were not as they are :)

Peter

17. Stick Rockwell

Perhaps it was just that example. I don't know how well the demo was prepared and it was like pulling teeth to get them to let me demo it. Anyway, I'm not unhappy with my purchase decision. Stick.

18. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

While I love my RS, I do miss my old 2010 F650GS twin. I got the lowered suspension so it was easy to putter around at low speeds and better for dirt roads. Beyond the stator fiasco that all 800 twins had, it was trouble free, and better that the hopped up (cam, hi test only, high reving) 800 GS to my style of riding ( better torque than the 800GS till 85mph.)

I hope the new F750GS follows in the same path. The 270 crank should give a bet of torque increase...most like this sound better that a 180 crank.

19. Richard230

BMW just posted a video describing these new models:

Stick Rockwell likes this.
  20. Stick Rockwell

I'll be attending the Washington D.C. annual motorcycle show sponsored by Progressive Insurance the 3rd week of this month. There promises to be examples of these 2 new models at the show as a prelude to the official release to the dealer community. I'm looking forward to seeing them, even though I'm not really in the market. BMW does a great job at this show as they have numerous models prepared for you to sit on and fit. I'll post a comment later on towards February's end. Stick.

Richard230 likes this.