No customization options are available.

New F750GS and F850GS

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Lee, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Leif the Lucky likes this.
  2. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I much like the 850! Ideal for pottering around these parts.

3. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Maybe we'll see a new F850GT next year.

4. asparaguspee

asparaguspee New Member

Would love to see another engine configuration. Parallel twins make me sleepy.

5. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

No, the parallel twin is a really good thing, especially if you are using the 270 degree crank. My TRX 850 was a great bike IMO. It lacked the ability to carry a pillion, and had a bit of drive line slop. You had to put up with chain drive (solved with a Scotoiler). Otherwise, the motor is compact, the bike was good for "filtering", the weight was reasonable and the thing handled well for a "bargain basement" chassis. The note from the motor was very good with Staintunes.
    Ultimately the flat twin has won me over because of the protection it gave me (saving my legs) from an errant car driver's negligence. There is no denying that the flat twin is bulkier and probably heavier. 2 separate cylinders and heads have to weigh more than a parallel twin.
    My son's café racer Husqvarna (Nuda 900R) uses a 900 cc version of the F800 punched out and claims more than 100 hp. It is a lot lighter than my RS and he is a better rider (sigh). There is nothing boring about it.

Vtbob likes this.
  6. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Some parallel twins are exceptional, but the one in the F800 was as dull as f***.
    No bottom end, no top end, sounds like an asthmatic geriatric gettting out of a vinyl covered chair.
    (The rest of the bike was made of wood or something). Let’s hope the F850 has a bit more character.

7. asparaguspee

asparaguspee New Member

Awesome that you had a TRX. I had one too a long time ago. Learned to go fast on that thing as it was my first big boy bike.

8. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

The new 850/750 motor has been redesigned with 270 degree crank firing order. It will sound/feel/behave same as 90 degree v-twin.

ray2 and oscarguitar like this.
  9. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Should be a massive improvement in that case and solve one of the major drawbacks of the F800 series. Just need to sort out the looks, and ride (handling was ok) and the 850 has the makings of a decent middle weight. (850 a middle weight, who’d have thought it 20 years ago!) Do they still have a rubber band or was the the 700?

10. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Everyone is getting on the 270 degree crank bandwagon. Even the new Royal Enfield 650 vertical twin will have that feature. (Looks nice, if only they can keep them from falling apart in the owner's garage. :oops: )

Attached Files:

ray2, Grumpy Goat and Jim Evans like this.
  11. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

And they're the next in the range to get the new TFT display... I was not expecting that!

12. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

It does sound a whole lot better. Hopefully it feels like it too.

13. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I suspect from a cost cutting point of view this will be the way to go as you literally only need to make one unit across all your ranges and fiddle with the software design a little bit instead.

I am jealous that we missed that bus though.

14. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

I'm not current on the details of the current F700/F800GS motor specs let alone the "new ones"
    But back in 2010 I bought a F650GS (yes 800cc). The reason I bought this bike OVER the F800GS at the time was that I though it had BETTER (more torque) power characteristics for my GS style of riding. The F650GS had a moderate cam that gave good torque and reasonable power. Up to around 5000rpms (85mph ) both torque and HP were BETTER than the F800GS!
    Yes the F850GS put our 15 more horse power at the top end, over 5000 rpms, over 85 mph. I did not feel this is where I wanted the power on a GS bike that I intended to do a lot of dirt roads on.
    The second benefit of the F650GS is that in spec Regular gas vs thee required Hi Test of the F800GS. (Hi test gas is often hard or impossible to find in remote areas. Having a milder cam it also gave 60mpg when doing dirt and secondary roads at 50mph or so.

Lots of remote dirt roads all across Alaska and northern Canada...not Nunavit or NWT.

I do regret the F650GS suspension could have been better ...I ended up putting an excellent Wilber rear shock on...and Ricor Intimadator inserts in the front fork...made a huge difference.

Just make sure by buy what you need....HP is not always the best metric.

ray2 and Lee like this.
  15. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I've twice had a new F800R as a loan bike while my bike was being serviced or having warranty work done. I loved it and the engine was fine. No Harley torque or M1 power but fine if given a little spinning help.

I also had a F800GS. Didn't like it, too bouncy and the engine seemed lacklustre? It might be the same motor but it didn't seem as good.

The new 850 GS is a bike I'd like to try as a 2nd bike if finances allowed.

But, they don't :(

Peter

16. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Not for me. Even though I have a boxer and love it, I also like parallel twins for entirely different reasons, mainly smoothness and refined engine feel and sound. Maybe that is just me. Maybe because I had a very smooth and refined parallel twin before the RS ... the 2014 Honda CBR500RA.

17. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Hahaha ... :D :D ... I guess you were a bit unimpressed, eh?

Saw a video of an interview with a BMW product manager for this bike at some show or the other and between her comments and the ones from the interviewer, it seems like a very nice middleweight, suggesting that it is possibly an Africa Twin killer ...? It would have to be a damn good bike, and not what you described, to compete with the new Africa Twin.

Some nice photos here.

18. Richard230

There goes any useful space in the right-side pannier. :rolleyes:

19. Richard230

Here is Motorcycle.com's take on the new F750/850 GS models. That 850 GS is sure a porker. It's curb weight is only 15 pounds less than the RS, using BMW's claim for the two bikes. And talk about having your power neutered, The "750", with the same 850cc engine as the "850" makes 18 hp less than the "850". I wonder how BMW managed to do that. It must have been a real struggle to lop almost 20% off of the power peak. :rolleyes:
    http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/first-look-2018-bmw-f850gs-and-f750gs.html

20. Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Bob Ain't Stoppin' Member

Isn't the 750/850 thing about the Euro licensing laws? Graduated licenses etc?