No customization options are available.

New Calsci Touring windshield for R1200RS

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by mark lawrence, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Calsi update after about 150 miles in light to moderate rain earlier this week

Conclusion: I am very pleased with this windscreen. It works very well in the rain I experienced. I had put rain x on the screen( not sure that Calsi would ok this) but it helps significantly to allow the water to bead up and roll off the screen.
    In the moderate rain most of the water beaded up and rolled off the sides of the screen. Most of these drips went wide of my shoulders , so success of good design. Surprisingly very little of the drips came off the top of the windscreen.
    This fact allowed me to keep the windscreen in the low position.
    I do expect in heavy rain I will want to put the screen in the high position to keep the helmet vision some what dryer.
    I am also happy to say that very little water came thru the "bow tie" cut out. I can not explain why but it is a happy result.

I now have a few thousand miles on this Calsi screen and it is a big improvement over stock.

thanks Calsi for a great product.

2. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

I'm really happy with my CalSci x-tall windshield as well.
    Mine has the "bow-tie" vent as well.
    The vent seems to prevent any buffeting or vortexes under the chin.
    I like the fact that the wind flows very smoothly (laminar-flow?) just above my helmet visor and across the peak of my helmet.
    The top of the windshield is about even with my upper lip, so I am looking over the windshield, not through it.
    When I get to a tight-twisty road where the speeds will be under 60 MPH, then I might put it in the lower position.
    That would put the top of the windshield about even with my colarbone, and mostly out of my field of vision when tossing the bike left and right.

3. DawgRider

DawgRider New Member

Ben,
    What is your height? Can you provide pics?

4. RonS

RonS Member

I picked up a Calsci large windscreen last week. Much less wind blast and significantly quieter than the OEM screen.

It was a little tough to install. Had to get a friend to flex the screen so the screws would feed into the threads correctly.

The BMW windshield threads are too soft. Makes me wonder if they are made out of brass.

5. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

Looks very interesting to me. If I could get close to the performance of my 2014 RT screen in the up an down position, I would ecstatic! Just have to figure out which size to order. With the stock screen at the moment, the lower portion looks great and gives me tons of air at about my chest level for staying cool. In the upper portion, I seems to be much more turbulent on my head. I'd like to order the smallest size that will do the job. I'm also considering the low seat for my bike, which will put the windshield a bit higher.

6. tobyduke51

tobyduke51 Member

Im 5ft 9 and 29 inch inside leg I got the lower seat and am finding it great.

7. shootersteve77

Toby, are you using the standard windshield or aftermarket with the low seat?

8. jlsulle

jlsulle Member

For general information, I have purchased both the CalSci medium height shield and the Powerbronze Flip shield. I personally find the Powerbronze shield to be the far better of the two products as it is 4mm thick (same as stock). The CalSci shield is only 3mm thick. I feel that the Powerbronze fits the lines of the bike much better as well. Both products are the same cost and as I have said before, this is only my opinion. I own and have used both shields and the choice is clear for me. I am also quite satisfied with the stock shield in the low position. The right one is for you to decide.

Peter Burridge and Richard230 like this.
  9. Lee Rhodes

Lee Rhodes Active Member

So...did you get the 585mm Flipscreen? The 585 is a Cool looking screen/height for the RS.
    Is it taller than the medium Calsci? Any Noise and buffeting differences? How tall are you..and inseam?

Thank you for your review.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  10. jlsulle

jlsulle Member

I did get the 585mm flip shield and it seems a little shorter than the CalSci medium. I think the Powerbronze has a little more slant back so it is hard to compare height.

11. jlsulle

jlsulle Member

Here are pics of the installed Powerbronze image.jpeg image.jpeg

12. Lee Rhodes

Lee Rhodes Active Member

Is it significantly quieter than the Calsci?

13. RonS

RonS Member

Here are some measurements of the different windscreens ...
    Standard BMW screen ... 485mm 19.09"
    PowerBronze Flip ... 585mm 23.03"
    Calsci Xlarge ... 24.5"
    Calsci Large ... 23.5"
    Calsci Medium ... 22"
    Calsci Shorty ... 16"

14. shootersteve77

That Powerbronze looks like a nice choice in both size and looks.

15. jlsulle

jlsulle Member

Quietness is very subjective depending on a person's hearing ability. I wear earplugs at all times when riding and don't notice much difference in sound level between shields.

16. btp

btp New Member

I agree with you that hearing is subjective. It can be pleasant or unpleasant. Sound on the other hand is objective. It's pitch is measured in frequency and it's loudness is measured in decibels. I have tried the standard BMW screen, the Powerbronze 585, the medium Calsci and the extra large Calsci all at various heights. Another reproducible variable that is very easy to change while underway is slouching down or raising up on the foot pegs. I find dramatic differences in the loudness of the wind with each screen and change in my position. My hearing does not change, but the decibels do change. Hearing is an excellent decibel meter, even with earplugs.

Mounting the screen to maximize quietness in my experience gives me these results: the standard BMW is similar to the Powerbronze 585, the medium Calsci is quieter and the extra large Calsci is the quietest. At 5'9" and with a 33" inseam, I would predict the large Calsci would give me the same results as the extra large. A taller person may find the extra large quieter than the large.

Vtbob likes this.
  17. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

This is the money quote for me, aside from your other well-put observations. Thanks Brian. Looks like if I buy anything it should be the large CalSci to be used in tandem with my standard BMW screen.

18. ARB

ARB New Member

Thanks to everyone who has posted pictures, experiences, and measurements on the different windscreens! I have been closely following posts on the forum since ordering my RS last October and there sure have been a lot of threads on this subject. I thought I had figured out my best choice would be the Powerbronze 585, mostly because it was more in line with the original style and I didn’t want the barn door look. However, after my first 130 mi ride home from the dealer on Dec 31st, I raised quietness quite a few notches higher than appearance on my priority scale. I decided to order the CalSci XL (tallest) to make sure air would go over my helmet and figured I would just cut it shorter if it was so high that I was looking through it. I first mounted the screen in the lower holes but wanted just a little more. I now have it the upper holes and am going to keep it there. I am happy with the airflow and quietness. In the lower position, air hits the top of my helmet for good low pressure at the top and rear vents. I hear a little wind noise from the vents but it is reasonably low level. In the upper position, I get very little wind noise from my helmet. I can open my shield to the first notch for good low speed air through my helmet and I can hear the engine very well. I am still looking above the shield in both positions. On the test ride, it was a pretty calm wind day but I ran it up to 100 mph in both positions. No problem in either but it did seem like I felt a little low pressure helmet lift when in the low position but not at legal highway speeds. Aesthetically, I think the shape and height of the CalSci screen looks pretty good and in proportion with the side and top cases. I am fine with my RS looking somewhat like an RT-light, since there is a lot of “touring” riding in Arizona to get to the “sport” riding areas. For comparison, I attached pics and additional details below. I’m not trying to influence anyone one way or the other on their ultimate windscreen quest but just thought I would share my experience as another reference point.

I am 5’11” with a 32” inseam. I have a Shoei Qwest helmet with a Sena SMH10 communicator hanging off the side of it (wind noise generator). My RS has the sport seat (highest) and Ilium bar back risers, which I find to be very comfortable. The CalSci XL screen is mounted in the upper holes. I didn’t have to trim any height from the screen but I did have to extend the narrow section a bit higher to give clearance for Barkbusters. In the lower position, the right side Barkbuster makes slight contact at full left lock and the left side interference is significant at full right lock. In the upper position, full lock is okay either way. Top of helmet height in riding position was measured to be 69.5”. Top of screen height in low position was measured to be 56.5”, about 13” lower than the top of the helmet.
    CalSciXL_upper_holes_lowered.jpg CalSciXL_upper_holes_raised.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  19. nibelungo

nibelungo New Member

Hi,

it depends also on where you live.

USA riders obviosuly prefer ordering Calsci, free shipping, no customs, etc...

Europeans probably go for GIVI, MRA, PBor Wunderlich (which I really wonder now if it isn´t the PB screen). Wunderlich doesn´t manufacture windshields, they purchase all deflectors and shields, usually (or formerly) from Isotta in Italy.

The Isotta screen for RS is clearly different from Wunderlich ones.

However there is no real price difference between Wunderlich listing and the original manufacturer; at least on official chanel. Another story is if you can purchase through a dealer with discount.

In my case, after checking options.

OEM, meassured by me, 380mm from bottom to lower part of V shape.

Wunderlich touring which claims to be 480mm +4cm wide, 10cm more than factory.
    PB flip, also 480mm...+ 4cm wide...
    PB tall, corrected on webpage to 510mm and 135mm wider
    GIVI I am not in love with their unremovable logo

and trying to combine performance with aesthetic on a "sport tourer", have finally ordered the Wunderlich clear. Of course I like light tinted, my concern is higher and wider shield may look too much plastic on an RS if tinted.

Now waiting. Will report how it works together with R1200R bars.

regards
    Alex

apehair likes this.
  20. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

ARB - excellent report. Thanks. :)