No customization options are available.

New 2017 model vs new 2016 model vs second-hand 2016 model

Discussion in 'Australasian Riders' started by Blintles, Jan 30, 2017.

1. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

your leaving the new bike at home and not taking it on the honeymoon :eek:

Bravo likes this.
  2. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

If you need the luggage, unless really keen on the BMW stuff there are good options for half the price. The BMW panniers in the still-very-expensive deal are good but grey colour only. Good match for grey bike and OK on blue and white (or is it very pale grey). Google "Shad" - a decent alternative with clip on deco-panel that comes in a range of colours. Other makes are available. And dont forget the bike may or may not have pannier hardware and rack already installed - these would be for BMW panniers only. if you get hard luggage then you will need to buy the matching brackets to go on the bike. Or if the honeymoon has skinned you this is a vost you can postpone for another day - just buy the wife a big backpack and tell her to hold on! Will pay to research this and figure your options and prefetences before you commit to a bike.

3. TimMc

TimMc Member

G'day Blintles.
    I think either the centre stand comes standard in Oz or comes as part of the "Touring Package". I'm not sure what it's good for though, other than getting the bike upright to check the oil sight glass. Mine sometimes grounds out on bumpy corners.

4. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

the centre stand is part of the touring package or can get it by itself.

5. Blintles

Blintles New Member

Just an update,
    1. 'Darren' at Procycles has told me that every RS in the country (Australia) should be fully kitted out with all the optional extras. He was saying that a dealer would have to be nuts to bring in a partly optioned bike as no one would buy it. - Makes sense when I look at the cost of the upgrades. i.e. $1100- on a $27k bike. I guess someone could have ordered one in without all the extras.
    2. He also said that the new gearbox hasn't reached Australia yet and I'd have to wait until the middle of the year to even give one a test ride. So the 'new' 2017 model on bikesales is the old model badged as 2017 - That's a bit annoying.
    P.S. There's a 2017 (2016 style gearbox) model at Procycles for $21k with 4,615 km on it. It's an ex-B fleet bike - A Grey Model. - Gunna test ride it tomorrow if the weather is ok in the morning.
    Getting excited.

Bravo likes this.
  6. TimMc

TimMc Member

Confused?
    So you're saying that my new MY17 with the red frame doesn't have the gearbox/clutch/driveline mods it's advertised to have?? Doesn't sound right to me. Further, from what I've read, the old grey colour scheme, whether "new" or not, is not a "2017" model. It's been superseded by the MY17 red frame bike. The "2017 (2016 style gearbox) model" you're going to test ride is not a 2017 model.
    Or I'm wrong. It's happened once before...

7. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Shock horror alert. Salesman makes stuff up to sell what's in stock. Who would have thought it?

It's easy to tell the difference between a 2016 and a 2017. The wheels on the 2017 are mounted counter clockwise and the indicators are transposed. ;) (Check with Darren if you don't believe me).

Bravo likes this.
  8. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

That's a worry. Darren was the one who told me the Nav5 was free on 2017 models but NOT on the grey demo (for $21k) because that was a 2016 model. A lot has changed in a week. Let's give D the benefit of the doubt and say you misunderstood him because all of that was BS. Anyway go for a spin and if you like it....but you can go from there to BikeBiz on Parramatta Road and ask them the same questions. And take a squiz at the white/red frame 2017 one they've got on the floor (if it's still there).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  9. UncleBob

UncleBob Member

The VIN should allow date of manufacture to be determined regardless of how a Country determines a model year for Registration purposes. They can say what they want and/or play games with paperwork, but the order things were implemented on the assembly line is all you need to determine then they can call it whatever they want for a sale pitch, but it won't change the bits it was made with or without.