No customization options are available.

New 2017 model vs new 2016 model vs second-hand 2016 model

Discussion in 'Australasian Riders' started by Blintles, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Blintles

Blintles New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking at getting myself a R1200RS as a wedding gift in April... Congratulations to me.
    The only question I'm faced with is what to buy...
    The options are:

1. Low km used 2016 model $22-24k (There's currently a used 2017 model with 4,615 km for $21k) - No one sells these privately - I guess the dealer ones are trade-ins and recos.
    2. Approx 1,000 km 2016 dealer demo $24k (I guess these come with non-standard extras)
    3. New 2016 model (Not sure if there are any left)
    4. New 2017 model $23k (This looks like the go, reckon I can get a good deal on extras?)
    What are people's thoughts on buying a secondhand bike? Would you stay away from a demo, considering that lots of random (possibly rubbish) riders have had a go at crunching the gearbox on them?
    Much thanks

ray2 likes this.
  2. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Congratulations
    You don't say what versions of RS they are. Is the brand spanker the bog standard version? (Do they still do a 2017 with no electric bits?) The demo I suspect will be fully loaded,if you buy that one make sure it includes cornering abs or you'll get sucked into the life force sapping debate over the upgrade:). Obviously if the 2017 has all the whistles and bells then pay the extra and have that,there's nothing like the "New bike"feeling.
    Hope this helps.

oscarguitar likes this.
  3. Blintles

Blintles New Member

Thanks Bravo,
    I have no idea what the options are. I can't seem to find a brochure online. I'll have a better look now and I'll pop into the dealership this weekend and ask before I go for a test ride.
    Cheers again.

4. Blintles

Blintles New Member

I just found this for the 2016 model on the website for an Aussie dealer.

20170130_192302.png 20170130_192244.png

5. Bravo

No worries
    Hope all goes well.

6. roger coleman

roger coleman Well-Known Member

all my bikes have been ex demos, fully fitted.

7. Bravo

It's not the actual dealer you're buying your bike from? You really need to get there at the weekend and thrash out a deal with them. As Roger says the demo may have all the options on that you may(probably will)have to pay for to get on a new bike. Let's be honest it's only done 1k miles and you do have 2 years warranty. If you do get the demo twist their arm about abs update.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  8. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

Hi Blintles see the dealer and ask if they still have the 2016 model run out going but I got my RS the SE gray version with all the add on's apart from anti theft bit plus crash bars for the 24K new so see what deals they can give you in Syd and call some other BMW dealers and see what they say. you can call Rolfe Classic BMW here in Canberra there pretty good with pricing on 02 62084111 and ask for the bike department.

9. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

None of them are in standard trim in Aus. Your choice is rather large. I purchased the Grey ( fast model) with all the bells and whistles. I love all the options and enjoy using them. If you get a late 2016 model they have the updated gearbox which is much smoother with the Pro shift, which is a must . Key less ride is so handy, press the button and off you go. The safety features are all worth the money. Used or new is up to you. 2 year warranty will take care of any future problems but if it means being with out the bike for a couple of weeks that can be hard to take. I don't mind used cars or demos but all my bikes have been new ones. Safe some money on the wedding. Get a new bike with all the extras. LOL. :):)

TassieRob and Bravo like this.
  10. TassieRob

TassieRob Active Member

A couple of weeks would be easy to take. When we bought our 2014 R1200RT LC i had riden it home from the dealer then BMW put a stop ride on all 2014 RT'S due to a faulty rear strut. It was off the road for 3 Month's

gc141x likes this.
  11. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

Hi Blintles. I dropped in to the St Peters dealer on the weekend, bike lusting. I was quoted $27k for a 2017 model. They didn't have one there but there was a white one at Parramatta a few weeks ago if you want to see the colour. At St Peters they said currently BMW are throwing in a Nav5 for the 2017 bike. They had a grey 2016 model with 4000+km (maybe the one you mention) for $21k. They said this was a "BMW Fleet" bike - I think that means demo and probably ridden to/from work by a staffer. No free satnav with this one though, it will cost a whopping extra $1200 - don't buy; wait for the Nav6 which should be here later this year. You need to talk with a dealer. Some options become available that are not advertised - for instance there was a deal for panniers/top box/tank bag/and something else? for $2100 (I think) which was a significant saving - you come to realise, after picking yourself up from the floor - provided that is the baggage option you like. (Parra told me this but it was a BMW deal so should be avail everywhere.) Obviously once you start adding extras the cost is way over 30k. But if you can get a 2017 new for $23k that sounds a very good option. The standard 2017 has some improved Gear Shift assist in the lower gears and judder damping has been added to the drive train (you can't see any of this of course). And "cornering ABS" is included now. Nothing major but all nice to have. The 2016 is a great bike especially if you simply prefer the grey which is not an option for 2017.
    Your specs and options might be 2016 but are similar for 2016 and 2017 (don't know about prices). One addition: the 2017 Sport Package is a few hundred extra - that is the white with red frame colour scheme; comes with the little engine spoiler bits and a small rubber tank protector. (The 2016 equivalent is the grey paintwork/spoiler/tankpad.)

Very interested to hear how you go with price on bike and accessories.

Good luck with the bike and congrats on the marriage.

12. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

The new one priced at $23k (your option 4) would not very likely be as packed with goodies and options as the used one from option 1 and 2. Unless the market works different in Australia and used products are more wanted than new (you stated you found used ones that are up to $24k....that's more expensive than your new bike).
    I had the same headache-causing dillema around last August (not because the coming RS was to celebrate my wedding though... it was a gift for myself to celebrate life, I fell out of a tree on May 18th from 18 ft and just barely survived that, revalidation went swift, received the OK to start up motor cycling again on the first of July). In August the upgrades on the 2017 models were just announced. The most eye catching one was the improvements on the gear output to the shaft. Resulting in less "clunks" shifting to first gear and smoothing shifting gear in general. On top of that other goodies are Dynamic Brake Light and cornering ABS (aka ABS Pro, retrofittable on pre 2017 that have ride modes pro, those models came with bank angle sensore). I was in agony, the gap of €4k / $5.7k between a 2015(!) demo model, 8.000 miles on the clock, fully loaded with options that were available for the 2015 model and the 2017 new one drew me over the line. What helped was the offer of the dealer to deliver my panniers in blue. I had my 2015 model upgraded to ABS Pro last November.
    I enjoyed the luxury to compare the 2017 model with my 2015 model. My conclusion: yes, the upgrades on the gear output is indeed noticeable. Shifting in to first (with cold engine) goes absolutely smooth. But for me personally, those improvements are not worth the investment of nearly $6k Australian....
    In your examples the gap between the latest upgraded version is such that when I was to chose, I'd go for a new 2017 model since the price difference in your options is just too small. Have them throw in a free Navigator V.

Forgot to mention: one factor that influenced my choice: The Wife. Choosing a new 2017 would mean I would have to trade in my 2010 R1200RT DOHC... By Her Majesty The Queens order.....for me a absolute NO NO, I gave my car to my son, the RT is my "car" now and I need that specifically during winter time (heated sadle!)

13. Blintles

Blintles New Member

I'm overwhelmed with the response to my post. This group seems like a great bunch of blokes (and girls I'm sure) and you all seem to absolutely love your RSs. I'm a little jealous of some of you with more than one bike, but I can only ride one at a time I guess. :)
    From what I've gathered from the massively helpful posts above, if I can justify the price, it would be nice to have the 2017 upgrades to the gearbox. But it sounds like more of a luxury. Maybe I'll be lucky and both bikes will be at the dealer so I can try them both an make my mind up as to whether it's worth it.
    Or... they might be selling a 2016 demo with the upgrade, I can't see a bike with 1000km on it being too old.
    Also, @PeTe T, thanks for the heads up on those deals. But you guys are gunna have to convince me to consider the Nav upgrade. I don't see myself using it tbh.
    I'll definitely want panniers and the keyless start sounds handy (my keys are always in my pants pocket when I'm on my bike with my gloves on). Maybe the centre stand. I'll see what they'll do for me.
    Thanks again gentlemen.
    If you think of anything else that would help, please let me know. My car isn't worth half of what I'll be paying for this bike (and the bike isn't half of what the bloody wedding is costing). But it's all definitely worth it. After all, spending is what money is for. ;)

Scorch likes this.
  14. Blintles

Blintles New Member

I'm not sure I could get used to changing gears without the clutch. Haha

15. Blintles

Blintles New Member

Thanks for this Jeroen, very helpful. Oh, and stay out of those trees! How'd you get your bike 18ft up in a tree anyway? Keep at least one wheel on the ground mate. Haha

16. Blintles

Blintles New Member

That sounds like a bloody good deal mate! One of my good mates' brother in law works at AMCN, so I'll see if he can lean on the dealer a bit too.

Jørgen Andersen likes this.
  17. Jeroen1969

I must admit I was somewhat skeptic about whether or not I would make use of the Quick Shift option . . . until I first got to ride a bike fitted with Shift Assist Pro. In one word: awesome! That "ride-by-wire" is really funny. Standing at the traffic light, getting that green light, you just jank open the throttle until the stop and keep it there. Gently ticking the shift lever up during the launch. Set on Dynamic you will enjoy the ride most definitely. Don't forget the hold on tight to the bike, otherwise you'll get thrown off...

About my "event" involving a tree and gravity . . .
    I regret to this day not having used a simple harness, cost $50,- max . . . It would have saved me from quite a lot of hassle. Initial damage report in the hospital made up the 18th of May 2016: 4 broken spines, 2 broken ribs, right lung contusion, internal bleeding at my left kidney, bursitis on the left elbow and a torn meniscus (was operated on last September).

Latest collateral damage from that dreadful event of May 18th 2016 that was discovered 6 weeks ago: patellar tendinitis. The patellar tendon got torn by the fall, these ruptures unfortunately went unnoticed despite my visit to the CT scan unit and echo unit (where they paid attention to the left knee only . . ). So I picked up rowing again last November since I was unaware of the damage sustained by the right knee. To enhance my stamina, I did this rowing thing a little too often and too much, causing this injury. Swelling only grew, most likely only fixable by surgery (cause taping it and taking rest did not improve the swelling nor the pain). . .

18. Jeroen1969

Your occasion to treat yourself on a RS is by far a better one!

Heck, when I married my misses on the 23rd of May 1993, we had not a dime left afterwards for any gift, let alone a motorcycle. Just barely enough to buy ourselves a tent and fill up the tank. Drove towards France in search of nice weather. Never found it. Spend an awful lot of time in the tent with the sound of rain bashing on the fabric of the tent as background music . . (bare in mind: no WiFi those days, nor television in the tent, nor smartphones). . . In hindsight it might be considered a miracle our daughter was born just under 2 years after that Honeymoon . . .

TimMc likes this.
  19. Blintles

Blintles New Member

You poor bastard. But lucky it's the right knee.
    How long is the recovery time after the operation?

20. Blintles

Blintles New Member

Hahaha
    Yeah not much to do in a tent in the rain on your honeymoon... Sounds horrible :p
    Lora and I couldn't afford a trip to Europe so we are "hopping the ditch" to New Zealand for our honeymoon in April. It would be better on a bike but I still can't wait to explore and relax over there for two weeks.