No customization options are available.

Navigator VI

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by ranette, Sep 9, 2017.

1. ranette

ranette Active Member

Anybody else who had a Nav V and upgraded to a VI? Just wondering if you're happy with the upgrade. Considering the price, I have mixed feelings.

Very happy with the screen upgrade and the ability to stream music from my iPhone rather than using the SD card. So much easier to create playlists and just a generally better experience than the Garmin music player.

I bought a bundle of the Nav VI and a Virb Ultra 30 as I was really frustrated with the GoPro remote control, especially the horrible battery life, and the Virb remote control on the Nav VI is the one thing I'm really disappointed in. You would figure that once you established the connection with the Virb you would be able to access it via the Wonder Wheel, the same way that once you use the Media Player it shows up in the rotation of the Wonder Wheel. It doesn't so if you've got the map up and want to turn on the camera you need to hit the back button to get to the home screen, click on Apps and scroll to the bottom as that's where the Virb app is, until you can finally click on the Virb remote app. Kind of a lengthy process, especially while you're riding. I'm certainly not a software designer but I would assume it would be pretty simple to have the Virb app appear in the wheel's rotation. It would certainly be functional for those of us who bought a Virb to go with our Nav VI. I did write to Garmin about this a few weeks ago and never heard back.

The other thing that seems a little flaky about the Nav VI compared to my V is the Bluetooth pairing. My V always paired flawlessly with my Sena 10U. With the VI, about half the time it pairs perfectly, the other times it pairs but I'm not able to stream music. When that happens I have to manually go into the Bluetooth settings and click on the "Media" box and problem solved. I've also noticed that sometimes I'm not able to take phone calls. I'll see the phone call come in but when I accept it there's nothing there and when I've asked people who've called me they say they just hear dead air on their side too. This has happened a few times and I haven't been able to figure out the cause as the next time I ride the ability to answer calls will be there. I haven't taken the time to see if when I'm not able to take calls if I can make them or further troubleshoot it but I intend to. So all in all, relatively happy with the VI, especially the screen but considering the amount spent to upgrade not 100% thrilled either.

2. dkjkwood

dkjkwood Member

I have a NAV VI, never have any problems synching with my Sena. A friend has the NAV V and says the VI is a huge improvement visually.

3. iPaul

iPaul Active Member

I used to have a Garmin Zumo, which controlled the Virb cameras, and on that you could set up a side bar on the right hand edge of the map view screen, which had buttons to start/stop filming and take a picture.
    [​IMG]
    Is that available on the Nav VI? If not, it would greatly diminish my interest in letting our Bavarian buddies rip me off to upgrade my existing Nav V to a Nav VI to regain control of my Virb cameras.

I currently run a Nav V and have the Garmin Virb wrist strap remote control:
    [​IMG]
    ...which I wrap around the centre of the handlebars, above the BMW logo. That gives me easy control of the Virbs and was fairly cheap (about £40). That runs on a little button battery, which seems to last for years.

4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Well I upgraded from a Nav IV to a Nav VI so I cannot speak for whether it is a worthwhile upgrade fom a Nav V to a Nav VI. I also do not have Virbs so can't comment on those issues.

I can however say that Bluetooth pairing is no problem. I have it paired with my Sena 20C and my Samsung S7 Android phone and it hooks up every time that the bike is started. I do find that I have to have the Nav VI started last though. In other words the Sena has to be turned on before I start the bike and of course the phone is typically on when I start the bike. So for me sequence is important. Give that a try on your side.

I don't appear to be able to stream music since Garmin in their wisdom seems to support only the Apple product, but that is a nice feature that I would appreciate. I suppose the next time I have to get a phone I will get an iPhone just for this feature. Not a fan otherwise.

But that screen .... that alone is a significant portion of the value of the Nav VI.

5. daesimps

daesimps Member

My wife had issues with stuttering Bluetooth (mainly music, but also with directions) and calls using her Nav V with her Sena 20s. Once paired we went into the Nav Bluetooth settings and turned off discoverable mode. It has been rock solid ever since.

6. ranette

ranette Active Member

If there was something like that on the Nav VI I'd have no complaints at all, but there's not. Doing a quick Google I found a few people on other boards with the exact same complaint. One said he had heard back from Garmin who essentially told him that their hands are tied, that any change would have to come through BMW. I did write to BMW customer service, asking to be put in touch with someone who I could make the issue known to. We'll see if I hear back. Somebody on another board correctly framed it as a safety issue. The amount of time needed to take your concentration off of the road in order to use the camera is unacceptable.

7. iPaul

iPaul Active Member

Well, you can wait for BMW and Garmin to do the right thing... or buy the wrist strap remote. I know which I think would be the most prudent course of action ;)

8. Tripleblack

Tripleblack Member

did you solve the phone call problem as i have the same issues with iPhone 7 plus

9. ranette

ranette Active Member

The problem with trying to solve it is it's intermittent. Follow the same process and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The last two times I've gotten calls it's worked fine and I think it's just a matter of every now and then it doesn't fully connect. You might want to unpair and then pair them up again and see if that works.

10. Tripleblack

Tripleblack Member

i,m going to try another pairing sequence in the morning see if this makes any difference as still not working if this dosent fix it will take it back and exchange for another unit -i will pair the headset on channel 1 to garmin nav and pair the iphone to garmin nav and then pair the headset to the iphone channel 2 see if this works

11. orcades

orcades New Member Contributor

I have the Nav 6, never had a Nav 5, but I have a Garmin Zumo 590LM on my other bike.

I've not had much trouble with pairing, but I have my iPhone and Cardo Scala G9 paired direct to Nav 6. Phone calls work fine. I find I need to have the iPhone and Cardo Scala G9 on before I start the Nav 6, or else pairing can be problematic. Sometimes lose headset pairing in traffic, or when streaming iPhone music via Bluetooth. So usually I put music on the Nav 6 and play via media player to headset.

The same issues seem to effect Garmin 590LM as well.

12. Tripleblack

Tripleblack Member

i paired it your way it didn't work but now i pair the phone to the nav and the headset is channel 1 to nav and channel 2 to phone and it now works

13. orcades

orcades New Member Contributor

Okay, never thought of doing it that way. Good that it works,

14. daesimps

daesimps Member

My wife had intermittent issues with Bluetooth music and calls on her Nav V. Once paired we turned off the Bluetooth discoverable mode in the settings on the Nav. It's been rock solid since

15. Timbotc

Timbotc Member

I too have the Nav V1 and the iPhone 7 Plus! I have issues with my screen freezing! The music continues to play but the screen freezes! I spoke to Garmin today regarding this and they are working with BMW to fix it! They have submitted a test software to BMW! The phone number to leave an email for notification is 866-455-7012! Hope this helps....

Jodie Goodall likes this.
  16. Hugh

Hugh Member

I have had to return my V1 to Garmin as the media pairing does not work properly with my iPhone. This means that the only way I can play music is via pairing my iPhone with my helmet but can not control it via the Garmin. Also finding that traffic updates are not working despite being paired with Smart Link. Garmin are sending me a replacement so let’s see if that one works properly.

17. Tripleblack

Tripleblack Member

i have asked for a replacement will pick up tuesday but i updated my iphone to 11.01 and i was able to make phone calls on the way to work but very poor sound so will still replace see what happens

18. Timbotc

Timbotc Member

I was on the computer last night and my Garmin showed an update! I am going to plug in to the computer and see if it helps!

19. Tripleblack

Tripleblack Member

what was the update

20. swedkg

swedkg Active Member

It is a map update. Nor Garmin Express or Basecamp indicate that there is a software update.