No customization options are available.

Navigator V - what is the best way to create a trip??

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by Sterobman, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Sterobman

Sterobman New Member

I am struggling to work out the best way to create a trip planner on Navigator V. Using the touch screen is time consuming and difficult. Using the internet - via Garmin Base Camp / Plan a Trip is frustrating - in fact I just cannot seem to work out how to do it. I am planning a 1600km trip around Tasmania over 5 days. I want to plot the entire circuit including main tourist stops and accommodation destinations. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this - is it just me being a bit dumb, or am I missing something?? I can plot a course so easy on Google Maps, yet am totally frustrated with Garmin.

2. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

I plotted legs of my recent Nullarbor trip on Base Camp but it was tedious and, I believe, imprecise. On the other hand, BMW Australia were able to email very precise routes and maps, including written instructions (turn left in 2 km...turn right at ..., that sort of thing) for the legs of the Safari I attended in WA so it can be done.
    I'll be interested in seeing responses to your post.

3. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Active Member

Try "Tyre" - free software and great for trip planning.

http://www.tyretotravel.com/

You can download the free version, then "upgrade" i.e. spend money if you want to carry on using it with no ads etc.

Cheers

Paul B.

4. petedarlo

petedarlo Active Member

one more for tyretotravel better software

5. TenCats

TenCats Member

One of the easy way's to create an trip is by using http://www.myrouteapp.com. This system, created by the makers of Tyre (mentioned above by PaulB), uses Google Maps to create a route. You can organise your trips, share them with friends and download to a pc. One thing though, the download contains both a route and a track. Don't use the route because this only has the points you have created so no route as we know it. Use the track in your GPS and convert it into a route. Works perfectly. You can also use the Michelin maps, Google Maps Satellite and other systems as an overlay, while you prepare a route but rememer that is still calculated on Google Maps itself. Another nice feature is Streetview that can be accessed directly on the screen.
    There's also a paid version which gives acces to TomTom maps (and calculation methods!) as well as the Here maps.

As for most systems, you'll have to find the one that suits your needs and is easy enough to work with. For me that is BaseCamp but I can imaging that one will find it difficult if it's only used once or twice a year. As a (former) tourcoördinator for a Dutch MC, I've created lost of routes with that program so for me it's just fine. On the other hand, I truly dislike programs like Tyre and Furkot as they are limited to a single on-line map by Google which makes it expensive to alter my routes when I'm abroad and wifi is not available. And believe me, I do live in a tiny country and within 1,5 hour I'm in Belgium or Germany so I prefer an off-line program like BaseCamp on my notebook. And I do not use the Tripplanner, I just create or alter routes.
    Which leaves my simple advice: Give the various programs a try and stick with the one that does the trick for you.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  6. Yoda

Yoda Active Member

The first page of "Plan a trip" in Basecamp appears to require you to enter the number of days and max hours riding per day for the trip. Duh.... I didn't get past that so went to just planning a route instead. That is actually not too difficult once you understand the difference between "waypoints" and "via points" in Garmin World. The main thing for me is to zoom right in to every section of the plotted route to make sure that it is on the right side of dual carriageways etc. - that lesson seems to be universally learned the hard way :rolleyes: Also be careful about letting the Nav do any "recalculating" if you deviate from the route - you may find that your carefully planned route is no longer the one you're following....

pasko likes this.
  7. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I like Furkot - https://trips.furkot.com/

It is web based so it allows you to make reservations for lodging etc on the fly and link the details back to your trip. The website also supports downloading the trip to the Navigator via GPX files. You can also shape the route to whatever you like, enter start and end for your riding day, and much more! Excellent website.

8. Holger

Holger New Member

I've been using Tyre to Travel for a long time, lifetime license.
    But stay with the "first" original application, MyRoute app I find (still) not so good.
    Basecamp is just awful.
    Tyre is based on Google Maps and has the disadvantage, for example, in winter can not enter planning on closed to traffic mountain passes. But you can change from the map view to satellite view, which I often use to plan accurate waypoints (mostly in city centers) and to check the road quality. And many more good features.
    If there is interest, I can give you a few more tips to tyre with navigator V.

PaulB_UK likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

Thanks Holger - I am interested in coordinating Nav V with Tyre - any tips you might have would be appreciated.

10. kristoph

kristoph Member

I too, have the lifetime license for Tyre to travel, however, I use the evolved version, MyRoute app.
    I find it extremely easy to use, and, as Holger states it defaults to Google maps, but you can opt to plan your route using Here/Garmin, or Tomtom mapping should you wish.
    You can plan your routes with Google maps, and then export them to your device using the built in MyRoute app connector, in which you can select one of seven different file formats.
    K

11. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

MyRouteApp gets my vote as well as the least painless option.

Did my whole trip planning for going to fetch the bike across country before even owning it. Dropped on the SD card and off I went.

Subsequently tried Basecamp and the Garmin itself and couldn't be bothered.

Still think it's a horribly archaic device for this very reason. All of which could easily be solved if their Smartphone app was better and you could just plan on there and sync it.

12. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

+1 to this.

I do plan on Basecamp and like to think I can beat it at it's own game. Have learned many lessons the hard way on 2 wheels and 4.

"Plan A Trip" - no, no, no. Glanced at it and walked away.

I would never plan a 1,600 km trip in one piece. By breaking it down to single day trips or even multiple sections for a day with specific stops, you retain much more control over everything and can handle screw ups more easily.

I label each day's palnned route (section) D01 to xxx, D02 to yyy, etc, etc, for easy indexing and finding.
    Similarly, using a minimum number of via points or waypoints to ensure you follow the roads you fancy, these will be appropriately labelled for ease of finding and using.

All hotels are labelled Hotelxxx, Hotelyyy. Fuel is Fuelxxx, Fuelyyy. You get the idea.

At the end of each day I like to save the actual path taken that day for (humorous) comparison later with the Planned Route.

On the road, you can delete all the planned routes day-by-day as you go to save memory if needed.

Essential to carry a paper map to sort things out when needed and simply to give the Big Picture that is impossible on a GPS screen.

When all seems lost on a given planned route, the final option is "Take Me To Destination" with no waypoints and cross your fingers.

Right now I have discovered that neither gooogle maps nor Garmin Basecamp will allow me to plan a trip in the Alps on some nice roads because the systems "know" that the passes are now closed with snow so they will only plan a huge detour from A to B.
    Made me smile, but I'll have to find a button to press so that the maps will ignore the fact that it is winter - just let me plan the routes I want

pasko likes this.
  13. Mick O'Halloran

Mick O'Halloran Member

Did a circuit of Tassie 2 weeks ago over 6 days and it was great. The GPS was handy for locating alternate curvy roads and accommodation but I did not plan the trip on it. Can recommend Strathgordon on lake Pedder for an overnight stay.

Attached Files:

14. Keith R

Keith R Member