No customization options are available.

Navigator V problems

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by Peter Burridge, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I'm having a bit of a saga with my Nav V. I haven't used it for a month or two and the battery was entirely depleted. I connected it to my Mac and it won't recognise it for map updating (although it recognises the serial number it indicated it's not connected - the serial number may be historical info)

It also keeps on booting and re-booting.

After spending about 10 hours on overnight wall wart charge the battery was still 'red'. As has been suggested wall warts don't work well perhaps. I charged it on an old PC yesterday and battery shows about 2/3 after about 20 hours. Still re-booting itself.

I did a hard re-boot and a strange thing occurred. The computer/GPS icon on the screen has changed from white to yellow?

The way ahead would seem to be a new battery and hope. Does anyone know of a source for batteries or perhaps has spare that I can at least try out for diagnosis?

Another area for looking at is the battery connector and bending the contact strips. These have caused problems evidently. It might end up breaking it of course.

This'll teach me for laying my bike up for Winter :(

Peter

2. petedarlo

petedarlo Active Member

My Nav 5 will not hold a charge more than a few weeks even after I had a new battery fitted, so it is a common problem. They don't like aftermarket leads and take a long time to charge through the PC. I have found charging from the wall charger works best. I did have a problem with mine very similar and if memory serve me right I removed the battery first then did a reset after replacing battery. You will get a new battery from BMW

pasko and Peter Burridge like this.
  3. Yoda

Yoda Active Member

I use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Vinsic-5-Ports-Motorola-Cellphone/dp/B00L0YXZOS for charging. Very useful when travelling as I only need one mains outlet for charging phone, helmet comms, gps and any other devices. I seem to have been lucky and not had any problems as described in the reviews, but other similar devices are available...
    Assume you did the hard re-set thus https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-GB/faq/content/5pkqQBOE9L4qzpvROpQ1R8 ?
    Others seem to have had the rebooting problem due to dodgy or too small SD card - do you have a card fitted? Maybe try removing or changing it?

Peter Burridge likes this.
  4. petedarlo

petedarlo Active Member

I use a BESTEK 4-Port USB World Travel Wall Charger

5. Dave W

Dave W Active Member

If you check in the Zumo forums, this unfortunately has happened to others before and the only fix is a replacement unit.

6. petedarlo

petedarlo Active Member

been on Zumo forum and the 590 has a battery problem that can be fixed by using a pin or jewellers screwdriver on the connection my be worth a try

7. Peter Burridge

Thank you Pete, I did that sort of reset as well as the one where you hold the bottom screen corner.

Are you aware that when the unit is 'off' it often is actually in standby. Holding the button turns it one step further in the off direction.

Peter

8. Peter Burridge

I've got a 32Gb card. I've a Mac as my main computer and an old PC as a backup. The maximum size of card depends on the computer and for Mac setup it's 32Gb. Sometimes it won't update on the Mac and I have to use the PC. It's very 'Harry Tate'.

Peter

9. Peter Burridge

I'm a member there Dave. I've had a search and can't find anything. Do you have a link by any chance?

Peter

10. petedarlo

petedarlo Active Member

after pressing the button I follow the on screen prompts to shut down is that correct

11. Peter Burridge

I think I've solved it. I know that you shouldn't use a 'normal' Micro USB phone cable and I've a data cable specifically for the purpose (Same ends, thicker cable). I've been into my loft and found another one and it is presently updating the maps having connected okay. The battery is also showing fully charged following leaving it connected to the iMac with the old cable while we were out today.

So not all doom and gloom. Just goes to show that it's worth changing all the variables.

Peter

darrell likes this.
  12. Peter Burridge

I'm hoping that my updates will help someone in the future.

The update nearly completed and then I had to move the unit and it aborted. The Micro USB end was very loose in the GPS. On close inspection the cable was an old Blackberry one. Definitely a slightly smaller connector and it had an intermittent connection. Another hunt in the loft produced a couple more data cables both of which were a much better fit. I couldn't get the GPS to connect however and tried all the ports on the Mac.

I then used the best fitting one and closed down Garmin Express completely and restarted it. The green light lit up and it connected straight away ;) Express said the previous map update had completed successfully even though I knew it had aborted 21 minutes from finishing. I selected to re-install the maps and the previous update continued from where it left off.

Oh and the yellow 'computer, lead and GPS' icon is yellow when I have a connection that charges only and goes back to white when it has a full data connection.

Map update just finished, GPS fully charged and a gin and tonic with bitters, ice and lemon in on it's way :)

Peter

pasko and Jim Evans like this.
  13. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

All good info Peter, pleased you got it sorted! Did the original Garmin cable play up? That's the cable I always use.

14. Peter Burridge

No it was the blackberry one. I didn't find the Garmin one but the other data cable was good. I've ordered a Garmin replacement to be sure.

15. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Good that was sorted out without added unnecessary expense too.

16. Peter Burridge

That is correct Pete. Hold the button and follow the prompt.

17. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Updated mine today, connected to windows pc using the Garmin supplied usb lead. The computer icon on the nav screen was yellow but updated successfully in around 1.5 hours. Added some more music files as well.
    So not sure of the significance of the yellow or white icons, more Garmin tomfoolery!

Jim Evans and Peter Burridge like this.