No customization options are available.

Navigator V GPS mount updates

Discussion in 'Hightide Technologies' started by TonyT, Dec 27, 2015.

1. TonyT

TonyT Active Member

Picked up the Dreamobile last Monday, rode 100km home with the missus in heavy rain :rolleyes:, all good... The bike is so nice to ride, and an engineering wonder! Unfortunately during my break I spent a night in hospital with what turned out to be something a bit worse than a stomach bug which kind of ruined my plans, and am returning to work now not feeling all together well, so I didn't get to do much with the bike in general, but at least I had the chance to discover different ways to attach a solid bracket for the N5, 1) being attached between the instrument module and the cast aluminium dash panel, 2) being attached from links held by using longer pins which attach the windscreen to the swivelling arms, and one way that does not involve drilling any holes and will connect directly to the existing windscreen holder, this is the one I have chosen to fabricate out of stainless steel and will accommodate the tight space of the cockpit with the original windscreen but can be used with a larger aftermarket windscreen also.

However, this is going to take me a little time since it will be quite permanent as I plan to have this bike long term, and want something more integrated with the bike, and so in the process of wanting to make them for others, I will need to make the necessary jigs so that a number of brackets can be made accurately and finished nicely, all the while working 4 weeks out of five, but once I have the jigs made, the rest will happen fairly quickly.

For those who might be interested but may want something a little sooner, or have a roomier aftermarket windscreen and handy with tools, JHero has a much more simple, quicker and practical solution to get the GPS up to eye level.:)

2. BobW

BobW Active Member

Tony , would be interested in your finished product. Look forward to up dates and pictures.

3. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

I'm interested as well when you get the finished product ready for market.

4. TonyT

TonyT Active Member

Just a little update on the bracket.

Achieved a lot this time around, although most of my time was spent on electrical components as I wanted to get a PDM60 and GPS tracker wired in so I can feel I've done my best to try and stop my bike getting stolen, can't say I feel so confident with insurance companies..

Got a pretty reasonable start on the bracket, got a couple of photos together to hopefully give a bit of an idea how it will look. I have a drilling jig made and a new bending machine ordered that should make things a lot quicker and I think I might be doing a bit more than a GPS bracket for my bike too. So anyway I will have the bracket completed next time I get home and will send photos of the finished product.

The photos below are only to give and idea of the look of materials and how they contrast together with the bike. The stainless bar is as I received it so the surface is not finished. IMG 0525 shows 304 Stainless tab cut, shaped, drilled, countersunk and bent into shape and fixed with a stainless screw and plastic washer under. This tab is where the frame of the bracket will be welded to. This tab can either be left as is or painted semi gloss to be hidden, like as in IMG 0529 but with black screw, note: tab has been painted with gloss, I didn't have any satin yet, so it shows a bit darker under the screen.

IMG 0526 and 0531 show the 8mm round stainless bar which will be the frame of the bracket and will be formed to the inside shape of the windscreen support and fixed in 4 positions using 4 tabs and the 4 spare threaded holes which are normally used for the windscreen adjustment. The windscreen can still be adjusted using these holes, and only requires swapping hole positions with the bracket if the need arises. There are a few curves to consider when forming this bar, as with the rest of the mouldings on the bike, there aren't many straight bits! The frame will extend up to meet the fixing point on the GPS holder and will be adjustable up and down but remain in a fixed position with the windscreen as there is very little room to move anyway, especially with the standard windscreen.

Hope this helps for anyone who might still be interested. Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    lupo, fischetg, Husni and 4 others like this.
  5. Rebel13

Rebel13 Active Member

Great work so far Tony. I'd be interested to see the end product. FYI, I've tried fitting the NavV using raiser's screwed to the original GPS bracket but found that it still required movement of the head to read screen and if I swivelled/tilted it forward, that it would conceal some of the instruments including the speedo.
    Definitely needs to be above the instruments!

TonyT likes this.
  6. TonyT

TonyT Active Member

Hey Rebel13, thank you, yes I guess I just like to see instruments where they are usually positioned.... in the instrument panel or cockpit close to where the driver/rider is looking. Personally I think it's common sense in terms of safety, and IMHO safety wins hands down. What I am surprised mostly about is the manufacturer has gone to reasonable lengths to make available the NAV5 and its bracket and the joggle wheel and the integration with the bike's computer, but even after you pay the extra $1000 on top of what you have paid for with the rest of it, the complete concept then appears to be like an afterthought tack-on when you consider they have built touring bikes with the GPS as part of the dash before, did they run out of plastic?

7. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Rebel, The Bike Pen R bracket has lifted my Nav V into view. albeit below the instruments - would recommend.

TonyT - you are so right - talk about a ship and a ha'peth of tar ! Great idea, 'lets give a 2015 sports tourer a great piece of equipment that combines a map with key bike information ' - crap execution ' lets spend $2 on a pressed steel bracket that looks like it came from a childs bicycle , and put it out of view as well as we're bit embarrassed about it'.

When you look at the S1000XR released at the same time which has a bar mount above the clocks you wonder who signed it off, on the RS. Even moreso when you look at the 2014 RT and 2012 1600GT where the Nav is incorporated into the dash . The RS culled so easily have had the Nav embedded above the clocks or as part of the overall display.

Still, its one of the few faults I can find and we all need something to worry about - right ?

Scorch, TonyT, iPaul and 2 others like this.
  8. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Tony, I'm really impressed with what you've done so far. It looks brilliant!

TonyT likes this.
  9. jamesgarnor

jamesgarnor Active Member

Looking good Tony. I'm eager to see finished pictures. Hope you're feeling better now?

TonyT likes this.
  10. TonyT

TonyT Active Member

Thank you Scorch, I wish I could have had more to show, but I will definitely have it finished when I get home this time. I also need to get it done fast because I want to get the Nav out of the way so I can fit my bar risers, so I've got an extra incentive to get it done!:) Cheers

11. TonyT

TonyT Active Member

Hi james, thank you, I'm afraid I'm a bit useless with getting pictures together unless it comes from my iPhone..:rolleyes: but I promise I will have it finished this time around and I will be straight to attack it with the iPhone!
    Yes feeling much better now thanks, won't do that again, lol..

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  12. TonyT

TonyT Active Member

Small update, I will be finished at the GLNG plant, there have been many layoffs, our whole crew has been made redundant now that the job is so close to completion. So this is good news for me now that I will be at home for the foreseeable future and will be working on the bracket full time. So I should be able to start getting them out to the lads who want them. I go home in 3 weeks and will have photos of the finished bracket ASAP.

Also I just wanted to thank you all for your interest and support for what I am doing. Cheers.

13. TonyT

TonyT Active Member

Another update. Thankfully I am finished at the plant much earlier than I had expected so I am at home now working on the new GPS mount. I expect to have a number of them finished in a week or so, then I will likely need a little time to do some testing with other parties and to sort out some shipping costs and how to handle that. Will let you know what's happening as I get closer. Cheers

14. Psy69

Psy69 Active Member

Great, watching with interest :)

15. Rebel13

Rebel13 Active Member

I'm getting very excited now, can't wait to see your completed package.

16. TonyT

TonyT Active Member

It's been an eye opener so far, in a few different ways, just meeting and dealing with laser cutting company and industrial coatings has been very interesting among other things, Thank you all for your patience!

17. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

Sorry about your work situation. I'm interested. Just let me know....
    Jerry

TonyT likes this.
  18. stuart2820

stuart2820 Active Member

Giggity :eek:

19. TheGarratt

TheGarratt Active Member

Also watching with interest!

TonyT likes this.
  20. TonyT

TonyT Active Member

Hey Jerry, thanks for your thoughts, actually it is a blessing, buying a BMW and joining this forum has helped me to realise finally what I really want to be doing, I love bikes and love doing mods so I figure why not use my trade to develop a small business in quality bike parts after nearly 40 years of slaving for someone else in a dead end job, having fun already!

Scorch and Grumpy Goat like this.