No customization options are available.

Navigator V come with AUS/NZ maps & life-long updates?

Discussion in 'Australasian Riders' started by James, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Norbert

Norbert New Member

Did anyone worked out what the headlight pro is?

I picked up my navigator on Saturday, it had no maps. I called the dealer who said that was a mistake. Also the one they gave me is the previous model. Can't say what the difference is, but I'm taking mine back on Monday to exchange for the new model.

2. Rebel13

Rebel13 Active Member

I asked the same question some time ago and got this reply which unfortunatly refers to the RT!

The new main headlight has two high beams that operate along with the low beam, all turnsignals as well as the brake and tail lamps are LED, and an additional brake light is available if a topcase is fitted. Optional Headlight Pro puts bright LED rings around the high beam reflectors for even more daytime conspicuity.quote

BTW I got a msg from my dealer advising that the new GPS has arrived but I haven't had a chance to find out what the changes are. I'll call him tomorrow and find out.

3. Rebel13

Rebel13 Active Member

Hi Norbert,
    Spoke to my dealer today about the new GPS.
    I understand that while its still called a Nav V it comes with a larger screen and extra features. The old version required a sim card on which the required maps were down loaded. The new GPS should come with pre loaded maps but I don't think that it has free map updates included.
    The GPS is retailing at $1,300 but can be purchased for $1,100.
    Hope this helps.

4. Norbert

Norbert New Member

Thanks Rebel13, guess I am bout to find out. It really sucks that they dont supply this information on their website. There are not many things in life that you'd spend a 1000 bucks on with essentially not knowing what you're getting...

The lack of updates is a bummer...

5. Rebel13

Rebel13 Active Member

Exactly. I'll take a driver over tomorrow and have a good look at it.
    I'm a bit hesitant to spend $1000 bucks on a GPS without knowing exactly what I'm getting.
    How much are they quoting for the GPS?

6. Norbert

Norbert New Member

From memory it was $1200 AUD. I ordered it with the bike etc, but it wasn't in stock so I am only getting it now.

7. Mr Turtle

Mr Turtle New Member

Hi guys,
    I had the same frustration with trying update maps on the Nav V and hitting the Garmin $160 charge, but have found a cheap workaround. I bought the latest map (CN AUS & NZ NT 2018.20) for Garmin Zumo 590 as seller refurbished (whatever that means for a bit of software) on eBay for $25, supplied on an SD card. When I put the new SD card in the GPS the new map didn't load and only the original 2015 map showed, even though I had removed the original SD card. So I used my computer to copy the map .img file from the new SD card and over-write the .img file on the original Nav V SD card (after saving a copy of the original file on my computer just in case), then put the original SD back in and this seemed to do the trick. There are a couple of other files on the original SD card that are presumably needed, so I could probably put them on the new SD card and get it to work, but at this stage I feel it's better not to fiddle with it more in case things go wrong. For me this overcomes one of the major map update differences between the Nav V and Nav VI very cheaply.

8. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

Today my dealer confirmed that for the current model Nav 6 the map updates are free for life in Aus. He didn't know if I could download them myself or if I had to come into the dealership for the update.

9. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

I got the Nav5 model in 2016 and it had the Aus/NZ maps installed, Garmin sends out a map update email once you do the warrienty bit and install the software on computer then can update the maps at any time. also got the nav5 for $900 from dealer they are good about that sort of thing.

PeTe T likes this.
  10. anzac

anzac Member

I have had mine for nearly a year now and they want to charge me for updates is do have the same problem?

11. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Not yet...

12. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

HI Anzac they have not done that to me and I have had the V5 for over a year and done a few updates on it. did you buy it new or 2nd hand? did you register the V5 when you got it with garmin?

13. anzac

anzac Member

I brought it new and did register it.It went for a skate down the road in oz but still works ok so see what happens

Attached Files: