No customization options are available.

My RS went down today. Twice.

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by swedkg, Jan 17, 2018.

1. swedkg

swedkg Active Member

Or maybe thrice, it is hard to remember...

I left home early in the morning, there were periods of light snowing during the night, but I thought I would be fine, plenty of sunshine in the forecast. The temperature was around 2 degrees Celcius. On a slight uphill, I started losing the back end. Once I managed to figure it out, I started losing the front wheel, only to find myself in the opposite lane, where I managed to stop. I tried to start again, but a couple of meters later I lost grip on both ends, which did not last for too long and I landed on the tarmac with the RS on top of me and the engine still running.

I tried to lift the RS but it was impossible. The guy on the car that was following me came for rescue, but it was still hard to try to lift the bike on a surface that was so slippery. At the end, we managed to pull the bike out the road.

The bike was looking good with no harm, so I was on my way again. That is for about 20 to 30 meters. Then I was down again. This time there was no one around, so I had to lift it all alone.

Photos below for your viewing pleasure. Machineart Moto and Wunderlich saved the day.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Glad you're uninjured and the bike isn't too badly damaged. Did those pills help your libido problem?

ray2 likes this.
  3. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Well, that sucked. :( I am glad that you managed to lift your bike back up by yourself. I couldn't have done that. Congratulation on making it back home safely with relatively little damage to yourself or your RS. :)

4. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Yes they did. Of course, it helps to have a good rider.

Here's the big philosophical question - do you replace the scraped up protectors, or leave them as an introduction to yet another story about how Belgians are tough enough to ride in freezing, wet weather.

5. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Good to hear the only damage is scuffed guards.

6. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I vote to keep them for a good story.

7. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Nothing like a good story. Traction control can only do so much.:(:(

ray2 likes this.
  8. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

I'm glad you survived. Those scuff marks are no big deal and can be smoothed out easily. And the only person who will really notice the scuffs...is you.

Of course, now we all know so when we see you next... ;)

Chris

9. AZGeek

AZGeek Active Member

Sorry to hear about the mishaps, but really glad to hear you weren't hurt. +1 on the recommendations to leave the scuffed covers in place. I had a drop on another bike and looking at the scuff mark was a good visual reminder that I'm not as skilled on the motorcycle as my ego lets on.

Leon.P. likes this.
  10. Jasper

Jasper Active Member

I'm really glad you were unhurt and the bike wasn't too badly damaged, but take the car with winter tyres fitted next time. The RS or any other road bike for that matter are not designed for riding on snow and ice. Doesn't matter how good a rider you are, in those conditions your going to end up parting company with the bike. Fortunately for you there was no traffic coming in the other direction or you may not have been around to tell this story !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter Burridge likes this.
  11. RJC_BMW

RJC_BMW Active Member

Oh man, hope you're filled with gratitude as you are around to tell the story when someone asks why the scuff marks?.
    And thank you for reminding me why I don't ride in that weather. Too many chances as it is.
    Happy to hear you are well and soon to be back on the saddle again.

12. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Active Member

Glad to hear that you're alright. Worst things certainly could have happened. Curious to hear you say the engine was running whilst the bike was on top of you. Shortly after taking delivery of my RS, and before fitting it with the necessary low seat for my vertical challenge, I had a stopped tip over and my engine continued to run as well. Is there no engineering fitted to shut the engine down when the bike leans beyond a certain point? A lean angle shut off sensor per say? Maybe there will be a recall to go along with the damned reflectors that are keeping delivery of my painted panniers. Stick.

13. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Glad you're OK and the bike didn't suffer more than minor scuffs. This is a good reminder for me to resist the temptation to ride on wintry days, though to honest I'm too obsessive about keeping the bike clean and salt free for there to be much risk of me venturing out very often in winter!

14. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

Damned ice! I'm ready for Spring NOW. Sorry you suffered a spill. Glad to see that the protective items worked for you...(and that I have them, too)

15. Blue Ears

Blue Ears New Member

Glad all is ok. The thought of ice on a road makes me feel uncomfortable. Hope your weather improves. Our weather is too hot, 41c. There is a bike race on today ,pedal type, I don't know how they are able to race in that extreme heat.

16. dinez

dinez Member

Good to hear it is nothing major.
    This vid shows how to lift a dropped bike properly I guess. Not sure whether we can be doing it during such a panic situation.

Richard230 likes this.
  17. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

I've never tried it but in snow or ice that would be impossible.

18. Sobpe

Sobpe Active Member

I am glad you a unhurt and the bike ok. It convinced me that i have to buy some protection for mine.

potatan likes this.
  19. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I am really surprised to hear that the RS doesn't have a tip-over engine shut off sensor. :oops: Even my Royal Enfield Bullet has one. o_O

When my daughter was living in Seattle, she didn't own a car and all of her travels were via her 1981 R65LS (which she still owns). She would ride that thing even during their occasional winter snow storms by sticking to the side streets and using her legs like outriggers and sliding along the snow and ice to get back and forth between work and home. o_O I still don't know how she managed to do that. I am pretty sure that I would have fallen over in short order if I tried that. Stories like that convinced me to give her my 1990 Honda Accord for transportation - three days before she gave birth to her first daughter. :eek:

Scorch, Leon.P. and dinez like this.
  20. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you are fine and those guards saved the bike. I like that rear diff guard.
    Thats why my bike goes in the shed in November and comes out in May. Reason so late is this sandy stuff they place on the roads is still there for a while until the 4 wheel vehicles throw it off to the side. It is like riding on ball bearings. When we live where it is really winter then we have to accept 6 months riding not 12.

Jim Evans and Leon.P. like this.