No customization options are available.

My RS NOT Ordered

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by DonT45RS, Jan 6, 2018.

1. DonT45RS

DonT45RS Member

After being told by my dealer in early December that my new RS was well on it's way, I called him yesterday to see if I could get the VIN and production status. What I got was a real surprise!

I placed the order for a fully loaded RS in mid October for delivery in early February. I stood over the dealer as first he searched the BMW inventory to see if any were available. He told me there were none anywhere, and that I should just place an order. He went onto the dealer order screen and filled out all the details as I stood over him. I never paid much attention but all looked good. We walked over to the Finance Manager and I gave them a check for a 20% deposit. Only then did he press 'return' on the factory order.

When I called him yesterday he told me that things 'are messed up' but don't worry, everything is still on track. He said that BMW no longer uses the data input by a dealer in the order system, and that all motorcycles can ONLY be obtained through the BMW factory rep. Further, he said that even through the rep., a dealer can not place a new order. They must find a model already in the pipeline and request that it be assigned to them (the dealer), and then they can make modifications to the build.

This seems just crazy to me, and I'm not happy that he never called me to let me know about this change. Can this be true? Has anyone heard about this (major) change to ordering? If not, do any of you have a relationship with a US dealer who could verify this?

Should I get my deposit returned and go to another dealer? One down the road has my exact bike on his showroom!

Frustrated,
    Thanks, Don

2. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Sometimes, Don, a bird in the hand is worth another one in the bush. ;)

Leon.P. and Andy Griffiths like this.
  3. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I think that this answers your question.

I would go to this dealership down the road (provided their reviews are not negative) and tell the guy that you have a deposit on the same bike he has on the floor but you'd love to give him the business if he can give you a good price. Then if the price is decent get your money back from the other dealership and buy the bike.

I hate all these dumb excuses from these salespeople. He should have known what he was doing before accepting your deposit - that's what he is paid for. We are consumer and they want our dollars so we should not have to experience pain on top of parting with the money. Makes no sense.

duccrazydave, Vtbob, Leon.P. and 4 others like this.
  4. Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Bob Ain't Stoppin' Member

I agree with Grumpy. The dealer story sounds like bull to me. But no way to confirm it from my end.

5. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

If the other dealer is close by and has a good reputation, I would try to buy the bike on the floor.
    You could also ask your dealer to do a dealer trade and give you a discount for the mix up.

In 2011 we ordered two K1300S bikes without all the options. A week or so later the dealer called and said because the S was a slow seller and too many were on the ground it was going to be a month or more before any more K1300Ss would be built. Since it was winter I said I could wait as long as the bikes were in for our yearly Texas trip in April.
    Another week or 2 later she calls again and said K1300S production was going to be delayed longer than she was first told and asked if we would take loaded bikes from the NJ warehouse. She gave us a good discount on the options we did not order.
    At least she kept me in the loop and gave us the extra discount. It all worked out as it turned out we both liked the options I thought we did not need.

duccrazydave, Vtbob, Leon.P. and 2 others like this.
  6. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

If he's any good, I'd ask the dealer down the road. I'll ask when I stop by the dealership here later today.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Lee and terry847 like this.
  7. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

I'd bin the original dealer as they sound like liars to me. I have no idea how it works in the The Land of the Orange Child but in Europe, each dealer has a direct connection into the main hub and can see exactly what bikes are available, either from stock or scheduled to be produced. They can allocate one of these to a customer order or create a new order if the correct spec is not available. The system will then give an estimated date of production, which may change if parts aren't available. Lee seems to have experienced this very thing and given alternative options when there was a delay.
    Where you may have fun is getting the deposit back. I always pay this by Mastercard or VISA as they will refund you if the dealer goes bust or breaches the agreement. 20% is a lot to pay for a deposit, about £2700 in the UK. I paid £500 deposit for a bike I could see on the shop floor.

ray2 likes this.
  8. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Don, surprised at your dealers response and understand your frustration. If the actual case as the dealer told you it is very different from when I placed my order 2 years ago. This past October 2017 I was working with my dealer on ordering a R9T GS Urban (decided to convert one of the GSA bikes to a Scrambler instead) and he told me I should try and get my order in with a $500 down payment sometime by early December so they could get a production line spot in late Jan or early Feb for a early Apr delivery to Minnesota. Sounds like Ray is checking with his dealer and I'll do the same next week when I stop by to just see what they have for used bikes on the floor. As several others suggested, I'd see if the dealer with a bike on the floor can match or beat the price on what you want, get my money back and move on. Just the fact your dealer took your money and has not communicated with you would turn me off very quickly. They should be very service focused having $4000 of your money.

ray2 likes this.
  9. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

I would get the deposit back, go to the other dealer and buy the bike they have. Your dealer, the one who took your money should have been easily able to get the bike from the other dealer - that's a super common situation - you want a blue bike, your dealer doesn't have one but another dealer does. They make the appropriate exchange to get you that bike. Hard to believe there was no fully loaded RS in the USA...

It sounds to me like your dealer incorrectly entered something or failed to verify that the transaction was made. I have often thought I ordered something on line only to later discover that it didn't "take" for some reason - site was temporarily down, I hit a wrong button, etc. The dealer probably didn't notify you because once the transaction failed or didn't transmit, there was no record of anything. In any case, they suck at their job so get your money and go elsewhere! ;)

10. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

When we bought our K1200RSs in 2003 there must not have been any in the warehouse (can't remember) and the Kansas City dealer traded with two other dealers. One bike came from St Louis and the other from Oklahoma City.
    This practice is also common with car dealers.

Leon.P. likes this.
  11. ray2

No change in ordering processes. One can still order directly from the big house. As pointed out above, that doesn't mean an order can't disappear without explanation, but a good dealer is going to explain how that happens. I mean, who has time for anything but the truth.

Along a separate vein, this conversation among the manager, 2 salesmen, a master tech and another customer took place between bites of doughnuts and sips of coffee - a real shop. If you're up for a visit, Hans (yes that's really his name) says to let you know, he will get you whatever you want, however you want it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    DonT45RS, Lee and darrell like this.
  12. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

I am hung up on the 20% deposit thing. WTF? Seriously? Those scumbags have been using around $3800 of your money since October.
    You could have made a nice little profit on that if you put it in an index fund.
    F that dealer.

13. ray2

I'm always looking to be educated.
    With a chunk of the wife's family still in England, I usually recognize most of the idioms on the forum, but you got me with this one. It certainly isn't Irish as most of the Irish Americans are greens. Help us out.

Grumpy Goat and Brimstone Mahone like this.
  14. DonT45RS

DonT45RS Member

I spoke with my dealer and expressed my concerns, including why he didn't inform me, and that I would like a refund. He was very professional and listened to all of my concerns and said that they would issue a refund immediately if requested. He explained that he was not concerned because he was 100% confident, and was assured by the BMW factory rep, that my promised delivery date would be met, which is what he considered their commitment. Fair enough, I couldn't ask for more. I'm going to meet him next week to decide how to proceed. Likely I'll continue with the order. He does have a Storm Black GSA just uncrated. I'll take another look but I'm pretty set on the RS. Very interested in the thread here discussing the switch to GS. It may be the more 'practical' route but so far I just can't warm up to the monster. I've never ridden one and that may be a good thing!
    Thanks for listening!

15. DonT45RS

DonT45RS Member

In fairness to the dealer, I never questioned the 20%. Guess I should have, and also perhaps used a credit card as well. I'm too much from the older generation and just trust people without question. I had just had a bad experience with another dealer and it was refreshing to deal with this guy. He was very knowledgable, had great customer skills, I had done business with them years ago, and put my trust in them. I wouldn't do business with anyone I don't trust. So far I think I'm still on track.

16. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

ah, you may wish to explore how your President is satirised and you must be aware of the book that claims he has a child like personality? He doesn't get a very good press this side of the Atlantic, even in the media that traditionally supports his party.

Soch and ray2 like this.
  17. ray2

Oh..., now I get it..., but I didn't want to.
    This side either - but it doesn't seem to matter.

Have to say, the reality of "politics" is always easier to take after riding a bike (today, a bicycle) to the shop for a fix of coffee, rubber, oil and common sense.

Scorch likes this.
  18. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

The GSA will cost you much more than the RS. A standard GS is priced much closer to RS.
    If you're even remotely considering resale value, get the GS or GSA.

DonT45RS, ray2 and darrell like this.
  19. ray2

I agree with @MrVvrroomm on final cost on the GSA. Not sure about resale on the RS as the regional dealership seems to be getting top dollar for the gray 2016 RSs that folks have traded in (presumably for something with color). On the other hand, Missouri has plenty of lightly used GSAs.

I'm not sure it's a good thing to have never ridden a GSA. One has to ride this 600 pound "off-road" motorcycle to realize that this is the answer for those big heavy riders who want to carry big heavy loads off-road about 80% of the time, and yet have something that handles reasonably on-road, so they don't have to trailer everything. (I see the RS as something for those of us who want to carry lighter loads, on-road 90% of the time, but with enough suspension to throw on a skid plate and some knobbies if we occasionally feel the need.)

This is your opportunity to demo anything you haven't ridden. Your dealer owes you for your understanding.

Leon.P. and DonT45RS like this.
  20. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Just think about your president, old chap.

ray2 likes this.