No customization options are available.

My favourite stretch of road

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Peter Burridge, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Hugh

Hugh Member

Peter, great video and I liked it when you overtook that biker around the corner! I get the sense you don't go up and down the gearbox as much as I do which probably leads to a smoother riding style in your case.

Leon.P. and Peter Burridge like this.
  2. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

My favourite stretch of road
    I assume I'm not redirecting the thread, keeping it alive to include my (current) favorite stretch of road. (The weekend is young.)

Went out for a day ride yesterday. Living next to the Ozarks, I was able to put in 500-plus miles at mean of 49 mph with thousands of turns.

Eminence to Jadwin (Missouri). About 134 turns in 62 miles of smooth roads (I lost track.)

These screen shots also highlight the REVER site I've been using that now incorporates the Butler maps.

upload_2017-10-14_13-29-41.png
    upload_2017-10-14_13-31-43.png

2017 10 13 Route 19 north of Eminence small.jpg
    And it seems the more crosses to memorialize carnage, the better the ride.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  3. terry847

terry847 Active Member

Ray,
    You are very lucky living where you do. Tons of good roads down in that area. Olgry1 and I were down there a couple of weeks ago to ride some new roads. A quick trip, 1 day down to Salem, Mo., another day to Harrison for two nights and back home the fourth day. Rt. 19 is a good road, not too interesting from Cuba to Salem, but after that, pretty good. Rt. 32 from the Farmington area west is pretty good too. Arkansas 7 south out of Harrison, 103 north from Clarksville to Oark and 215 from Oark to Rt. 23 are also pretty good. Don't even remember a couple of the roads we were on. Three trips down through Missouri to Arkansas this year and we haven't run out of roads to find.

4. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

That's all very nice but our Government do not want us to have accidents so some of our roads have gone from 100-80 90-80 70 -60 and some from 50 -40 kph and I must admit it is making our roads so much safer and so much more fun to ride and enjoy our selves. I have found that that my economy on this bike has increased. I am no longer wearing out the edges of my tyres.(tires for some) and I am finding the scenery so much more pleasant and also enjoyable. Previously when I did spend time riding like some others on this Forum( Hooligans,the lot of you) I did not appreciate the Koalas in the trees, Snakes on the road and the odd Wombat which by the way some of our bike riders seem to behave like on our precious roads. I now find time to wave at every Farmer working on his fields and paddocks. Smell the aroma of cow dung followed by the beautiful smell of our Eucalyptus Trees or a Barbecue in progress,which now with my more mature and Government approved pace I do get invites to. I have taken up drinking alcohol at these events which is my only way of coping with the reduced yet government approved speed limits and restrictions placed upon us mere mortals. I do believe that in the near future all form of motorized Petrol Guzzling form of transport will be removed from us and this will be done for our own well being and of course to save our miserable lives which we'll be so much better of without our bikes.

PS. We did need to lower the speed limits. It saves our Councils millions of dollars in Road Repairs,Maintenance and Improvements. It also gives extra dollars to spend on overseas trips,bonuses and huge salaries for doing as little as possible. To make sure we do obey these new speed limits and increase the revenue more Speed Cameras have been deployed. Just how lucky are we here down under and how lucky am I not to have been booked for speeding for many a year. Cheers from Lucky Leon:):)

5. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

It's difficult. I don't consider myself a hooligan (some do) but I can't 'potter'. Well I do, when I'm with my wife and she's riding her bike but it's not comfortable.

I'd like to potter, I really would. I've thought of getting an 'oldie' to help me. I once bought a new Kawasaki W650 (years back) for just this purpose. I ended up changing the bars, tyres, suspension and doing engine mods and rode it like it was a Triton :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Leon.P. likes this.
  6. Leon.P.

I think speed limits are there to be tested and and obeyed when needed. Otherwise there are there to give cars and trucks some idea of the fun we are having.;):)

Peter Burridge likes this.
  7. Peter Burridge

In common with my 'breed' (IAM/Police) I tend to stick to the ones in town, 30, 40, 50 mph. In the NSL (National Speed Limit) I let myself have fun.

8. Leon.P.

That's about it Peter. You have to know when to behave or say goodbye licence.:(

Peter Burridge likes this.
  9. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

I do enjoy an easy cruise from time to time (usually when riding one of my less powerful bikes), but I find that my mind often wanders away from the task at hand. Not a good idea for a consequence manager like me! A motorcyclist could actually die from the boredom of an unchallenging ride...

Leon.P. and Peter Burridge like this.
  10. Peter Burridge

I agree, it can make it difficult to focus.

Leon.P. likes this.