No customization options are available.

mv-motorrad Halogen fog lights - tried them?

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by boxerboy, Nov 24, 2017.

1. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Has anyone tired these foglights from MV Motorrad : http://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/Halogen+H8+Fog+Lights+BMW+R1200RS+LC+incl+MotoBozzo-Switch.htm
    [​IMG]
    They have all required mounting brackets and wire into the headlight, switching is via a double-click on the headlight switch. All-in-all they seem to fit my needs for simplicity of fit, decent looks and no need for a separate handlebar switch, nor some form of can opener fixture.
    Would be great to get the reassurance (or otherwise) of an existing user........

2. Barbelson

Barbelson Active Member

Hi Boxer,
    I might be able to help a little here, as I am going through same process.
    I know nothing about electrics, so I leave it to the experts. Last week I found an expert, and went along for a chat.
    The first thing he suggested is that he fit a HEXezCAN. This fits under the saddle, and is plugged into the canbus system. This magic gadjet allows you to connect up to 4 accessories, and controls how they behave. This is particularly handy, since I also want louder horns, and an extra tail-light.
    The light he is suggesting are these, although the choice is mine.
    F71CBB0B-F3E6-4679-BFC6-A23449AAA57D.png

These lights have 4 leds. There are several permutations on how they operate. There is no switch on the handlebars. They can be turned on and off by pressing the indicator button for 3 secs. They work with both the daylight riding light, or the main/dipped beam. The brightness of the lamps is controlled by the wonder wheel on the handlebars. When your indicators flash, say you are turning left, the left aux light goes out to make the indicator more visible.
    You can also have them flashing, or just flashing when harsh braking. If you have them on continuously (not flashing) and you need to filter between traffic, you can activate the flashing by pressing the indicator button three times in quick succession.
    Same with an extra rear light. It can act as an extra stop light, and be solid or flashing. In particular, it can be set to flash under harsh braking.
    If you are interested, I suggest you look up the HEXezCAN on YouTube. There are a number of videos which will explain better.
    I am waiting for my expert to assemble the gear, and then I’ll have it all fitted.
    All I can say at moment is that it gets a good press. I’ll post something in due course once it is fitted, and I’ve tested it. Could be a few weeks yet.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    ray2 and boxter like this.
  3. boxter

boxter Active Member

I wait in anticipation, look really good with good control's.

Ged

4. boxerboy

Thanks Barbelson, I understand the route you are taking with all the controls via the wonder wheel that are offered if you fit a can opener such as the Hex ezCAN, I was planning to do something similar but then I started to question whether I really want all those options. Maybe its enough to have the fog lights come on with the ignition and the option to turn them off with a double-click on the headlight switch? I also want a louder horn, but once again I don't really feel the need to programme it via the wonder wheel, I just need something louder.
    So I am definitely interested to hear how you get on installing,programming and using the above set up, but I am also still interested to know if anyone out there has purchased the kit from MV Motorrad at the top of this thread?

5. Barbelson

Barbelson Active Member

Hi Boxerboy,
    I didn’t realise that you were interested in a louder horn as well.
    The advantage of the HEXezCAN is that it can draw more than 4amps. As far as I know, anything more than this on the canbus will not work.
    My chap has recommended a pair of BMW car horns. One hight tonr, the other low tone. He will get these for next to nothing from a breakers yard. I’ve heard them, and they are awsome.

6. boxerboy

Ok that's interesting, my 1981 RS has twin air horns that were standard fixtures - loud as you like and really command respect on the road - I would certainly like to replicate that set-up !

Barbelson likes this.
  7. Robert the Brews

Robert the Brews Member

Boxerboy, I have no experience with the MV Motorrad halogen fog lights kit you are interested in. I am just waiting for the European (certified) version of the Hex ezCan because I like all the options and settings it comes with. But I can understand that when you don't need the options of the Hex ezCan and only want to add foglights to your RS the MV kit might be interesting.

Recently I found something like the MV kit which could be a good alternative for you: an AUTOSWITCH which controls e.g. foglights by only pushing the turn signal cancel button. You can complete this with aux. light brackets from MachineArt especially made for the RS and auxiliary lights from Denali (DM led). These LED(!) lights come with fog and spotlenses. You just install the foglenses to get your fog lights. This set will cost you about 185 GBP! A nice alternative in my mind.

When you want a louder horn but prefer simplicity over using relais or can openers you just switch the oem horn for a Denali sound bomb mini horn or a FIAMM mini blaster.

http://www.nippynormans.com/autoswitch
    http://www.nippynormans.com/machineart/bodywork/machineart-mark-2-light-bars-r1200r-lcrs-lc
    http://www.nippynormans.com/denali/denali-dm-led-light-pod-with-datadim-technology
    http://www.nippynormans.com/horns-and-accessories?p=2&ps=15&s=6&f=

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  8. boxerboy

Thanks Robert, I will take a look at those options, could be just what I'm after.

: fog lights