No customization options are available.

Moving the Sat Nav above the Instrument panel

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by Barbelson, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Barbelson

Barbelson Active Member

Like many of us, I got fed up with looking at the empty cradle on the handlebars, and irritated by the wonderwheel which had no use. Last week I bought a Nav VI, and moved the cradle above the instrument panel. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to install.
    I used a Hornig GPS Mount. This was incredibly easy to install, and only required removal of the screen (4 screws), and attaching the mount (2screws).
    IMG_3453.JPG
    After that I simply unscrewed the cradle and attached it to the mount.
    IMG_3452.JPG
    There was no modifications necessary to the wiring, etc. I then put the Nav VI in the cradle and the job was done. The whole thing took about 10 mins.
    I was left with 4 empty holes in the bolts where the cradle was originally fixed. I have put 4 black screws in there for the moment, but at some time I will buy 4 M5 cap screws (8mm) to tidy them up.
    As it says on the Hornig website, "The windscreen can still be used in all positions and you always see your GPS without looking away from the street."

I should mention that I have a handlebar riser which raises the handlebars, and moves them back. This probably helped the installation since I did not need to use the aluminium block which is part of the Hornig mount. I simply took the cradle off the handlebars, which is attached to a short circular rod (the same size as the circular rod on the Hornig mount), and re-attached it to the Hornig mount. I believe Hornig sells different plastic spacers which are attached to the aluminium block for the attachment of various makes of sat nav, but as I said above, I did not need any other fittings.

I am very pleased with the result. For thise interested, here is a link.
    https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig....gation-and-Communication/GPS-Mount-44015.html

2. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

You are right with relocating the Nav. I used the Vortex (which is thing beauty). In the raised position the Nav is really easy and safe to use.
    To a great extent the Nav gives you a way to overcome the RS dash.
    It would be good if BMW / Garmin would have a tachmeter display!

Phillo and Barbelson like this.
  3. Barbelson

Barbelson Active Member

Hi Aussie Import,
    The raised sat nav makes a lot of difference. I did have a TomTom Rider in the raised position using Ram fittings, but it was not hard wired. I also was irritated at the empty cradle and unused wonder wheel, so I bought and installed the Nav VI, and I am happy with the move. So far, I think that the Nav VI is an improvement on the TomTom.
    A tachometer would be useful to say the least. Like most of us, I find it mind boggling how these things get through the design stage. I mean, who would put the integrated sat nav cradle on the handlebars, when it obviously creates a safety risk. Anyone who rides a bike would design it so that it is higher up, wouldn't they?

4. vat

vat Active Member

The Horning mount is one of my favorite farkles I've added. Took a bit to get it dialed in at first

5. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Yeah. Right. All designs have compromises. For example, I rode an Indian Chief. Lovely looking bike IMO. It had the instruments mounted on the tank. Couldn't read them wearing a full face helmet unless I deliberately looked down.
    It was worse than the standard position for the Nav cradle.
    BTW the Chief was not for me, but I do like them.

Barbelson likes this.
  6. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Those pictures look awfully like the reservoirs would catch on the sat nav at full lock?

7. Barbelson

Barbelson Active Member

Just an illusion. They don't catch on full lock. They are fine.

8. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Cool just checking .

9. sadrik

sadrik New Member

I have the Hornig mount too, and it rocks.

I left the old metal brackets and bar on the handlebars, and now use that for the QuadLock Mirror phone mount for additional audio options and Waze.

buransche likes this.
  10. Allan_MV

Allan_MV Member

When you are on the bike does the bottom part of the nav/nav cradle obscure a part of the dash/speedo. I only ask as mine does and I fear that it may be mounted incorrectly.

11. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Agreed the Vortex was my choice as well..the only little niggle I have is that on the very odd occasion that I lift the screen into the upper position ( 99% of the time it's in the lower position ) it drops down again when I hit a reasonable bump and on SA roads in my neck of the woods that's several times for every km..:)

12. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Did you miss this ?

http://r1200rsforums.com/threads/vortex-modification-and-fix-part-one.4567/

13. Phillo

Phillo Active Member