No customization options are available.

Most Memorable Touring Moment

Discussion in 'Readers Rides' started by DonT45RS, Nov 16, 2017.

1. DonT45RS

DonT45RS Member

My Most Memorable Motorcycle Touring Image

What image always sticks in your mind from your MC touring?
    For me, it's the gas pump leaning at 45 degrees. I can see it still today.

The year was 1972 and my grand tour, planned with my buddy who bought his first road bike just for this journey, was a winter trip to Big Bend National Park, Texas. We both had Moto Guzzi 750 Ambassadors, heavily loaded with all of our gear, mine mostly rolled up into an old army put-tent. It was to be a camping trip, and while I had done extensive motorcycle camping in New Mexico and points west, I had never undertaken anything like this, neither distance nor weather, and my buddy and never been on a motorcycle tour period, but had extensive dirt-bike experience.

We decided to leave on Christmas day. When we awoke that Christmas morning the temperature was 18 degrees Fahrenheit, and my buddy backed out. Not me! I waited until about noon, the temperature had risen to about 32, and off I went. First stop was Amarillo Tx, about 150 miles. I hit snow squalls as I arrived so spent the night in a motel. Come morning we had six inches of snow, so another night in the motel. By noon the next day the roads were plowed and temp up to the lower 40's, so off I went. That day I made it to Odessa Tx (265 miles) and the temp was now 70 degrees. The days travel through the South Texas plains was very cold, and my motorcycle attire consisted of long johns and farmer's coveralls, but somehow it was not too bad.

The Big Bend Park was wonderful, the temperature was warm, and the cottonwood trees had leaves. All was good. After about ten days touring in the vast park, I awoke one morning to several inches of snow. No weather alerts or other communications in those days, so the sudden change in weather was a total surprise to me. By then, especially prompted by the weather, I decided to head home to Rolla Kansas, which was about 650 miles. The wind was strong and it seamed that the motorcycle was in a heavy lean like in a constant turn, and I was blasting along at 70-80 mph, determined to get home. At some point on the Texas South planes, somewhere around Plainview TX, I pulled into a gas station. The gas pumps were not vertical but tilted over at a 45 degree angle. Only for a moment I had that vision..then boom as my bike fell over. I had pulled up for gas, was frozen solid, and never put my feet down but just fell over. That vision sticks with me today very vividly!

dcysurfer, Lee, Leon.P. and 3 others like this.
  2. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

oh that has reminded me of a journey not a full tour but I went to the NEC bike show end of November some years ago trip down the day before in cool weather a little rain temperature about 4% centigrade no problem had an ok day at the bike show and set off mid afternoon to do the 190 miles back to Cumbria. all was good for much of the journey until about 70 miles from home. then the weather changed with the temperature dropping and about 30 miles out and close to Shap which is about 1140 ft above sea level I rode into freezing fog, temperature down to minus 10% C. agony to ride in so settled behind a lorry and followed its lights, by the time I got to the junction to come off the motorway my visor had frozen up so had to open it up. I then had 9 miles to travel down country lanes in freezing fog. managed to get home but couldn't get off the bike, there was frost on my jacket so my body temperature did not stop the frost. had to shout till the better half came out and helped me off the bike. you could have put pins in my face and I would not have felt them. the image of me stuck to the bike with frost on my motorbike gear remains with me. Put me off riding for 2 weeks!!

dcysurfer, DonT45RS, Leon.P. and 4 others like this.
  3. TreeMuncher

TreeMuncher New Member

I've ridden many thousands of miles and taken thousands of pictures. Our last big tour was 7,500 miles over 20 days with over 5k pictures in the camera. I've had several similar trips with high mileage and high picture counts. It's hard to narrow it down to one pic from so many trips but this cloud formation and the company I was with is forever etched in my memory.

[​IMG]
    We were stopped for highway construction on the way through the Blackfeet Indian Reservation in Montana, on the way over to Glacier Natl Park as seen off in the distance. I caught the cloud formation over the park on camera - I've never seen another cloud formation anything like this. Our good friend Bob, now passed, was leading us through a tour out west after a meet in South Dakota. My then girlfriend, now wife, was on her DL650 and another friend was behind us. It was one of those epic trips that make motorcycling what it is all about. I'm glad I was able to capture that moment.

Those of us who knew Bob aspire to be like him. A great patriot with a calm, polite demeanor that rode over 50k-70k miles per year throughout his final years. I'm a better man for having known him.
    [​IMG]

dcysurfer, terry847, Martien and 4 others like this.
  4. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

3FA8F612-D9A7-40BF-B012-6331ABC099D1.jpeg One picture from my first trip to Germany in 2015 represents one of many quiet moments that I’ve enjoyed - taking in some of historical (war) monuments and memorials that are scattered far and wide across Europe.

It’s a bonus when the sun shines as I sit and wonder - “What If ........”

This happens to be A Bridge Too Far.

Arnhem - to save some folk looking it up.

dcysurfer, DonT45RS, Bravo and 5 others like this.
  5. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Member

A couple of years ago, a friend and I rode all the way to Nordkapp, the most northerly point in Norway. (No ferries, just the Channel Tunnel crossing.)
    5000 miles in 13 days, around mid June as the plan was to see the midnight sun.
    We saw more than enough rain, but a few memorable moments have etched themselves in my memory.
    The 1st was on day 1 of the trip, sat in gridlocked traffic outside Antwerp. The drizzle got heavier and heavier until becoming torrential, all whilst trying to pick our way through the traffic. Eventually, we were sat still for a few minutes and the rain was so heavy, there was water pouring off the tank and down the front, straight onto the radiator of my GTR (Concours for American readers).
    So, sat still on a Belgian motorway in a cloud of steam in torrential rain is the first memory.
    The 2nd was in rural Finland. Rounding a corner to find a small herd of reindeer in the middle of the road. There were no issues slowing down, but they then proceeded to run along the road in front of us for a good mile or so before disappearing into a forest track on the right.
    So, herding reindeer down the road in Finland is the 2nd.
    Finally, on the return leg of the journey, stopping at a toll booth for one of the bridges in Denmark in the middle of a massive electrical storm. Again, the rain turned torrential just as we needed to stop and pay (gloves off, wallet out etc) all the time with thunder and lightning crashing around us. After the bridge the water was about 4 inches deep on the road, and lorries on the opposite side of the motorway were creating waves that came over the top of the central divider.
    So, that's the 3rd. Travelling about 30mph on a motorway that was pretty much a river, again in torrential rain, with a black sky, waves of water crashing over the central divider, and the whole lot being lit up by flashes of lightning.
    The joys of biking! :D

Cheers

Paul B.

6. HMFriedman

HMFriedman New Member

An odd moment on a trip through southwest Virginia: I was riding past a farm and witnessed a huge male bison fall onto its side (quite the noise and vibration) only to flip onto its back to scratch an itch like a puppy, 4 legs pointed toward the sky. It was over in ten seconds, but was one of the funniest damn things I've ever seen!

dcysurfer likes this.