No customization options are available.

Monthly posting

Discussion in 'USA Northeast Riders' started by Mr. 36654, May 17, 2017.

1. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Hammond Tioga - 9Jul17-2 .png So, while Friday was baptism day for trailering the RS, today was back to just enjoying scenery. To the north of Williamsport, PA (home of Little League Baseball and Lycoming Engines), US15 is likely one of the best four lane highways in the Northeast US. Good pavement with sweeping turns thru the rolling hills of the Allegheny Plateau. Oh, and not much population. Just above the PA northern border, lies Corning NY, the home of Corning Glass. Further north is Watkins Glen and to the west is Hammondsport, NY the birthplace of Glenn Curtiss, the nemesis of the Wright Brothers.

In any case, it was an absolutely delightful day. Temperatures allowed me to ride with the rain liner installed on the vented jacket. A gentle breeze from the north, low humidity and puffy clouds. The summer day of story tales. The bike did as always......a happy, happy fellow, just rolling on by.....

Lee likes this.
  2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Where in Pa. were those two pictures taken?

3. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

Temps allowed you to ride with rain liner..... I have to get out of Texas. If I rode with a rain liner today I would have fallen over with a heat stroke 20 yards from my driveway.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  4. Mr. 36654

Lee,
    That is the north and south view from Hyner Point Lookout between Lock Haven and Renovo, PA. The view shows the West Branch of the Susquehanna River, PA Route 120 and what used to be called the Lackawanna-Delaware connecting Buffalo and Philly (I think).

Back in the day, I watched Piper Aircraft Ad photographers do photo shoots of the Piper planes doing fly-byes from that point.

Lee likes this.
  5. Mr. 36654

We've been here for a few centuries. Always open to having new folks come and make a home.

Grumpy Goat, darrell and To and Fro like this.
  6. Mr. 36654

So, in my, apparently pointless quest to understand our cousins from the British Isles, I spent my weekend ride in search of the titillating overrun pop. 170-miles later, I've realized it's cultural difference that will never survive the translation. Of course, if I had spent a lifetime drinking tea and that warm ale called beer, I could possibly relate.

But, as it was, it was a delightfully fantastic day here in the epicenter of the universe bounded by NYC and Cleveland. Once again, great puffy clouds, blue skies and a gentle breeze. Barely warm enough for my vented jacket without liners. Not much traffic, but, perhaps, 6~8 BMW's spotted along the way. Most of the Harley's were trikes........:rolleyes:
    Kettle Creek Lake.png

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  7. Mr. 36654

Pondering this cute scene when I came to the revelation that I would never understand the British fascination with the overrun pop Wykoff - Waterfall.png

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Lee likes this.
  8. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

Rode up to Port Clinton, PA to drop off the RS for first service, got a loaner to ride home. (a 3 hour + journey).

Picking up on Friday, going to head out from there, a GS rider and I. He is picking the route.

I will get some pictures too.

9. Mr. 36654

What did you get for a loaner?

10. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

A contrasting disappointment. Not my style, not my comfort level, and a vibrating Tiger 800.

Attached Files:

11. Mr. 36654

How was it uncomfortable? Vibration thru the bars or pegs?

12. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

That triple vibrates through the bars. The seat has a heavy forward slope to it. Not really an uncomfortable bike, just not a riding style I am comfortable with, I like a sportier sit.

13. Mr. 36654

I'm surprised. The BMW triple was wonderfully smooth. In fact, when I traded a k75 for a R11RS in 1999, I couldn't believe how badly the oilhead vibrated. The rubber mounted bars bothered me for a long time.

14. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

I am too, maybe the bars, some other aftermarket thing ( it appears to be a trade in ), I rode a Daytona and liked it.

This, not my cup of tea, taking the short way up. I am not a fan.

15. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

Nice sunrise in Watkins Glen this morning.

Attached Files:

Mr. 36654 and Lee like this.
  16. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

The falls (forget the name) that start with T

Attached Files:

Mr. 36654 likes this.
  17. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Mr. 36654 likes this.
  18. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

Yes Sir! That's the one.

19. Mr. 36654

That's a new one for me. Buttermilk, Treman, Walkin's Glen.......I knew.
    Thank you, Glaciers.

20. Mr. 36654

40th HS reunion on Friday night and accompanied my wife to a barn dance on Saturday night. Finally, got a ride in on Sunday, but found a trundling land barge at the start of every interesting stretch of road. But, had a nice cup-of-coffee in the converted office space of a defunct fraudulent corporation and a pleasant chat with reluctant returnees from Palm Springs.

Transplanted from Palm Springs to middle of no-where Northern Pennsylvania...........That has to hurt!