No customization options are available.

Michelin PR4s Miles?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by Bob Reynolds, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Bob Reynolds

Bob Reynolds New Member

I have about 3500miles on the original PILOT ROAD 4'S basically about half getting to the mountains and half running the bike at it's limits on twisty roads. I am not far from needing a rear and the front does not look great, sort of cuppy. I am anal about air pressure Running 41 or 42 rear and 37 or 38 in the front. They have never ever done anything weird or bad. They are easy to warm up turn in nice and grip solid at all angles. Best rain tire ever. Occasionally I ground the peg feelers. I doubt I will get 5000 and I know of people getting close to ten with the PR4 on other bikes. I probably will buy them although the BT16 pro option is tempting and cheaper. How are your tires holding up for you?

2. James Ford-Bannister

James Ford-Bannister Member

Mine didn't come with PR4s, it shipped with Z8s. I wasn't sure at first but I actually like the Z8s a lot now I've scrubbed them in a bit. They are worth a look if you're in the market for new tyres.
    I'd be interested to hear what you think of the PR4s over their lifespan, I love the PR3s on my Versys and was thinking about stickings PR4s on the RS when the Z8s die.

3. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

I got 9000 out of PR4s on my CBR600, but with 6000 miles on the RS I will be changing shortly. I could get another 1000-2000 but have punctured the rear and would rather not have the worry!
    Just interested why are you running 38 in the front? Max recommended is 36? The rear on mine did square off but I managed to "ride it out" and they are working well again. The fronts do tend to cup and can cause a bit of vibration when worn, but the wet grip is outstanding so I'm prepared to put up with the minor discomfort and earlier replacement. If I didn't ride all year in the UK I would probably try something with less sipes and more rubber but the PR4 seem to work for me.

I ride solo (I'm a light weight!) with no luggage and run 34/40 psi which gives a good blend of comfort, feel and grip. With the puncture I got as low as 35 at the rear, if I hadn't had the NAV 5 monitoring the exact pressures, I probably wouldn't have realised. (Definitely a bit squirmy when I found it at 25 psi when I got out of the office - straight to the nearest garage on that occasion!)

4. BobW

BobW Active Member

Bob,
    BT16 Pro great tyre but reading your rider style you will probably only get 2,000 on a rear. I used to use them on my R1200R
    My RS came with Z8's . I am going to change them in the new year and most probably get BT30 EVO's . Always been a fan of Bridgestone

5. Bob Reynolds

Bob Reynolds New Member

I test rode a new RS with the Metzlers and found them excellent in normal riding, but I am not sure when aged if they maintain their performance.
    We were riding this weekend, VFR 1200 and K1200GT. VFR had 4's with 8500 The GT had the metzlers about 70 percent worn and would step out in corners
    under moderate throttle. We all rode the GT, while I was gentle and smooth due to "please ride my bike it's doing weird stuff" it did not do it for me, but both the others had ashen faced
    moments The big K bike is seeking PR4's this week. BTW the K and VFR pale next to our beauties affording only a brief view of the R bikes tail light disappearing in the twisty sections.
    I see no reason to go Metzler, not to mention the rain capability of the PR4. My gauge says 36 cold but the onboard reads 37-38 when warm, yes I usually prefer a softer front, but the
    front suspension seems to accommodate the harder front, the rear, to me is less than stellar in normal riding, {harsh} yet works fine when pressed into corners. I will drop
    the front a tad and see if it is notable. I wish my tire shop had nitrogen. I am suspect the traction control is responsible for my low milage allowing earlier application of harder
    throttle, but that surely contributes to my disappearing tail light O-)

6. Brian63

Brian63 Active Member

Hi Bob
    My pr4's are up to 4800 miles still tread left but the handling is starting to go off on poor road surface especial over banding (thin black strip where road has repaired) may fit a different option for the start of the year and see how they go, but will have to probebley fit new more pr4's before i go of to Italy in September but what the option will be i don't know yet.
    All the Best
    Brian

7. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

FYIW I changed my PR4s at 8000 miles. The Front wore out first, had bald spots in several places about 1 inch off center. The rear was in a bit better shape. No cupping, no squaring off on either front or rear. I put a new set of PR4 on. They are good enough for me. Cann't say Metzler of other are better or worse.

8. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Well I hope to get 10k miles at least out of mine. I am at 2300 miles and both tires show very little but even wear.

9. Kenworth

Kenworth New Member

You lot will have no problems with these PR4 tyres - I put a set of my old Blackbird 15,000 kms ago . Only 1/2 worn and no chopping out of the front tyre on the old barge. Excellent in the Wet or Dry , Very cool :).
    I must note that the front feels very heavy at slow speeds on uneven roads i.e. - Lane Traffic Filtering on Uneven Road Surface.
    But apart from that they are Grouse . I used to use the old PR2's.
    Different bikes , But a great tyre . I use 40psi on the o'l girl.
    Id expect 20-25k out of the Front and 25-30k out of the Rear.
    Cheers Rick

10. terry lees

terry lees Active Member

Bloody ell, best I have ever had on any bike is 3,500 and the worst was a set of "road attacks" that did 1,700!

Leon.P. likes this.
  11. Tony101

Tony101 Active Member

I'm with you Terry. I don't consider myself particularly quick but I've never managed to get a tyre past 5000 miles and, trust me, I get my money's worth!

Leon.P. and David Evans like this.
  12. buelligan

buelligan Member

I'm hard on my tires, had PR3's on my Buell, and my Tenere, never got more than 3500 miles from a back tire. I love pushing hard out of the corners, and really love the torque twins produce. Not expecting much better from the PR4's. I don't blame the tires, I blame my right hand
    I run 38 psi rear, and 36 front...

Leon.P. likes this.
  13. Dave W

Dave W Active Member

poor tyre wear is normally down to poorly set up suspension.

Peter G likes this.
  14. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I tend to wear out my tyres fairly quickly. My limiting wear is usually mid shoulder which makes sense given my riding style. 5,000 miles would be more than I usually get.

Leon.P. likes this.
  15. Peter G

Peter G Member

Tyres are funny creatures. One thing to remember is that quoted tyre pressure from the bike manufacturer is a compromise between safety (grip wet & dry), wear and comfort, not necessarily in that order. The manufacturers have to develop a tyre package that works on a particular model and unless your are spending mega bucks on a bike the tyres will always be a price compromise. This does not mean the most expensive tyre will be the best tyre for you.

Another thing to be aware of is if one tyre works on one machine it doesn't translate that it will work just as well on another make/model. Different front end geometry between make/models changes the way the tread pattern meets the road and this in turn changes the handling characteristics. What works for one bike doesn't guarantee it will work as well on another.

Feathering or cupping of the front tyre tread is an indication of not enough air pressure for the load, allowing the tread to squirm around under cornering or braking. I just checked the front tyre on my R1200RS, Metzeler Z8, and it has a maximum pressure of 280kpa (40psi). Because there are almost endless variable loads on placed on tyres (e.g. weight of the rider/pillion, how hard you ride/corner) there is no right or wrong tyre pressure (correctly set up tyre pressure could vary by 4-6psi between bikes of the same make/model, depending on load riding style etc.).

WARNING: Under inflated or over inflated tyres can cause you to lose control of your machine. Start at the manufactures recommended pressures and work little by little from there. 2psi can make a big difference in handling and tyre wear.

Leon.P. likes this.
  16. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Another possible issue is this: Some say that OE tyres are different from mainstream tyres. i.e. the Michelin PR4 that comes with the bike is a different tyre to a replacement that you'd buy aftermarket and that typically OE tyres don't last as long. This theory abounds on bike forums the world over and many people ascribe to it.

Personally I thinks it's rubbish :D

Hedgehog, runnerhiker and Grumpy Goat like this.
  17. Peter G

Peter G Member

I'm with you on that one Peter. I've read so much about tyres, but very few people actually compare apples with apples and all sorts of wrong opinions are formed because of that.

Leon.P. and Peter Burridge like this.
  18. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Not only bike fora but car and truck fora as well. I am not sure that it is rubbish. In order to keep costs down they get tires as cheaply as they can from the manufacturers and the main thing is to have the brand name on the tire to help with the sale, so if the manufacturer has an "OE formula" which they can sell to the factory for cheaper that is what they will do because they know that the owner will likely choose the tire they want afterwards anyway.

On the topic - my PR4s are doing very well at 3400 miles. Hardly any sign of wear and not unevenness. I keep the factory pressures in mine and they work very well for me. I would not be surprised if I get 10k miles from them at this rate - at least that is my hope. As for the tire itself - I feel very secure on them and have had no issues on them at all, so in all likelihood their replacements will be PR4s also. No need to try anything else.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  19. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Well I have just replaced my OEM PR4s with "normal" PR4s after 6000 miles. Once I have scrubbed them in I will see if I can tell the difference. I love having new tyres, the bike feels wonderful. Crisp turn in, stable tracking, no tramlining and smoother. I just want the roads to dry out a bit and for the cars to shift all the gravel back to the verge, instead of right where I want to bank into a corner.

buelligan likes this.
  20. Lee Rhodes

Lee Rhodes Active Member

If I read you correctly...you are comparing two different tires on two different bikes. These 2 bikes have inherently different handling characteristics....due their architecture and weight differences. The VFR is more nimble....and should be lighter.

Not an equal comparison.

Reference the German Magazine, Motorrad....which tested a group of sport touring tires this year on the same sport touring bikes. The Metzler Z8 out performed the PR4...in wet and dry...and was their #1 choice....the PR4's #2.
    Both are great tires...you won't go wrong with either.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016