No customization options are available.

Michelin Pilot Road 5

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by Lee, Oct 29, 2017.

1. LQB1

LQB1 New Member

Further down they list PR4 and PR2 (both front/back and back/front combinations) as well as other Michelin Power and Pilot Power combinations. The footnotes and pdfs just attest to their blessing for all these combinations.

2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

This next year I may try the PR5 front with PR4 back tire.

3. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Looking at the edge of the tires I'm surprised the PR4 does not do better than PR5 when cranked over with the power on in the rain.
    PR4
    [​IMG]

PR5
    [​IMG]

Not much for sipes near the edge of the back PR5

Bill the Cat likes this.
  4. OW31

OW31 Member

Because if you're cranked over that far in the rain with the power on you're going to be in the bushes..........

Gregory Clark likes this.
  5. Fjaoos

Fjaoos Member

I think I've seen a statement that said that they don't expect you to have an angle that big when it is wet. I've also found the folling "test": https://www.mopedreifen.de/News/Die-ersten-1500km-mit-dem-neuen-MICHELIN-ROAD-5.html?id=20
    TLDR: They had the Road 5 on an KTM Super Duke R and rode 1500km through the pyrenees. They felt, that the tire was way stiffer than the PR4 and were concerned about the lack of drafts at the edge. (They thought about a mix up between a supersport tire)
    They felt, that the stiffer carcasse gave a nice balance between turning in and ride comfort. Seems like the tire is on the same level as a Continental Road Attack 3.
    The slick-like edge gives you a lot of grip if it is dry and the stability during breaking is comparable to a Pirelli Angel GT. They also tried braking in wet conditions and were impressed because the ABS system of the Super Duke did not have to regulate.
    Futhermore the slick-like edge at the rear tire is only used at an angle that is greater than 40°. Michelin promises a mileage that is as good as the mileage of the PR4.

They also did a youtube clip:
    The subtitles are of no use but I'll try to summarize and translate it later.

6. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Revzilla rocks. Got my new tires in 2 days with their free shipping. So fast that the tires arrived at the house before the email arrived telling me that they had shipped and are on their way! :D

Now I have to figure out how to get the front wheel off since I never did it before and get both to the dealer for them to put it on for me during one of my drop-ins. Last time they did the rear for $25 which is cost effective for me. No huge rush since the PR4s still have life left ... :)

7. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

My new rear RS3 just went on this morning. 8950 miles on the old one, and the front is still good for another few thousand miles.
    I haven't been out on the new, round tyre yet, but I'm looking forward to it :)

8. Stef

Stef Active Member

Correct. The table gives the combinations front/rear for which there are no technical objections (for those who do not speek German: 120 is front, 180 is rear :) )

Jim Evans and Robert the Brews like this.
  9. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

You won't see me leaned over that far in the rain :)
    I was just making a observation I was surprised the PR5 did better than the PR4 on the race track test that Michelin shows in their ad.

10. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

I'm with Lee on this one. I remember that on the PR3s they had lots of siping that went all the way to the edge of the sidewall. With the PR4, there are fewer and with the R5 there are none. I've heard michelin's rationale for it, but I thought that there would at least be some for the wet.

11. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

If you are only using that last 1/2 in of tread in the wet, no amount of sipes are going to save you. It’s the compound and shape of the contact patch that will come to your rescue. I suspect that even at max lean angles, there will still be sipes diverting water away from the contact patch that now has maximum rubber (silica) on the road.
    I like the sound (and look) of the PR5s. Stiffer with better feel and turn in. I see a set in my near future.

Grumpy Goat and Jim Evans like this.
  12. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

If you don't have a front wheel stand a scissor jack under the sump will work to raise the front wheel.
    You may have to place a piece of plywood under the centerstand before lifting the front to make sure the back tire does not touch the floor, or just remove the back wheel first.
    If you use a small hydraulic jack, also use wood blocks as a safety in case the jack bleeds down.

Front Stand.jpg

P9170025.JPG

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  13. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

If both wheels are removed at the same time I usually place something under the final drive or swing arm to prevent the bike from tipping back in case someone happens to lean on the luggage rack.
    You can see a scissor jack at the back of the bikes in this picture.
    P1010736.JPG

Grumpy Goat and Scorch like this.
  14. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

My friendly local motorcycle emporium today quoted me 280 Great British Pounds for a pair of 5s fitted.

15. Martien

Martien Member

Is that more or less expensive than a set of PR4's, or what you are using now?

16. Bravo

Just a fiver more than the pr4s had fitted in September of last year.

Dave and Martien like this.
  17. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

I was riding on a twisty back country road this afternoon, and for a moment, my thoughts went to the PR5 and what they say about why there's no siping on the sides. Just like they say happens, I wasn't leaning anywhere near as much as I would in July. You just didn't know when you'd go around a corner and find a farmer's tractor had pulled onto the road and left a trail of slippery mud. And like someone said, if I had to lean over so much I was on the slick shoulder ...well, I probably was going down anyway.

Chris

18. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Thanks Lee ... I was thinking the same thing. Just have to find my floor jack among the stuff in my garage! ;) I sold my previous paddock stands with the previous bike as they would not work on this one. I do miss them.

I still love seeing your twin bikes and twin maintenance setups ... everything twice. :D

19. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

So was that from the dealership or local service?
    Pretty sure my dealership quote this time last year, before my RS was px'd for the new one was worse than that, even if I removed the wheels myself for PR4's again.
    What made it more insulting was the fitting charge for two wheels "would be higher if I brought in my own tyres if I get them somewhere on line"

20. Bravo

They're a small local bike shop Dave,I've been dealing with them since I was 16 so I've got to know them very well in the past 4 years.
    The dealer I got my RS from once quoted me for PR4s and was 60 quid dearer than my local friendly motorcycle emporium. I'd hate to think what a Beemer dealer would want to charge to fit a pair of 5s.