No customization options are available.

Michelin Pilot Road 5

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by Lee, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Hehehe ... maybe because it is not so good. :) The engineer in me tends to be skeptical since I know there is no more than a minute chance of all variables being maximized at the same time.

Jim Evans likes this.
  2. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

You have to admit that, looking at the product review, Michelin (apparently) certainly seems to have done a lot of engineering on those tire tread snipes that they use in the Road 5. Did they really need to do that much tread design engineering and how long will they hold their shape and fancy characteristics after a few thousand miles?

3. Stef

Stef Active Member

Strange. The engineer in me looks back at the past 50 years and has the slight impression that we have evolved a bit in the technical field and still are making some progress from time to time...

Scorch and Last like this.
  4. Stef

Stef Active Member

If touring means only driving straight on, then you're probably right. If however, you should encounter a bent or two a day, the sipes will suffice...

5. TassieRob

TassieRob Active Member

Well said :)

6. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Gah! Just when I'd made up my mind that the Roadsmart IIIs are the best tyre for my bike and I'd definitely be getting them again in a few thousand miles when my current set wear out... :confused:

Jim Evans and oscarguitar like this.
  7. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Just be happy it's not a GS you own - not only which make but then on/off road as in " admit you're a road rider and get road tyres or 'fake it' with "annakeeee, dual, double nobbly, mud pluggeers" and ride through a muddy car park to get them dirty.

8. Grumpy Goat

Not so fast. The Roadsmart IIIs (a) claim to have longer life (based on their tests), (b) are cheaper, and (c) have been extensively road tested by Darrell here, who has provided lots of real world data. :) Meanwhile Michelin is themselves oddly quiet about longevity, which is a big part of tires for this demographic, whether some of us admit it or not. ;)

Jim Evans and Richard230 like this.
  9. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Hehe! Thanks for the reassurance! :D

Indeed, if there are only going to be a few hundred miles difference in it, then there's no point changing, since I have really, really, REALLY liked the Roadsmarts.

10. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Yay! new PR5s mean cheap PR4s. Timing is good.

Jim Evans, Bravo, Willy and 1 other person like this.
  11. Gregory Clark

Gregory Clark Active Member Contributor

My guess is the improved stability claim is the result of a new design with much less siping vs. the PR3 and PR4. New PR4 tires always feel squirmy until the tread gets to around 60% of the remaining life. I've always attributed the squirmy feel in corners to the abundance of siping.

Michelin will have a winner if the PR5 grips like the PR3 in the dry and retains the wet traction of the PR4.

ray2 and darrell like this.
  12. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Your comment on the Michelin PR 4 being a bit squirmy in the corners was never really a big issue with me yet I knew it was happening but dealt with it because I like the tires and the siping when roads were wet. Although I seldom end up riding in the rain it was still was nice knowing the sipes were there. I used 3 sets of PR4 on my RS and used 9 sets on the 2 R1150GS Adventure bikes I have as I don't take them off road. Dunlop marketing challenged me to run a set of their Roadsmart III tires which I did a road data collection and posted on the forum someplace. WOW on the Roadsmart III tires. These PR 5 tires are going to have to be a big improvement to win me back to Michelin especially if they give the same mileage as the Dunlop and continue to cost $100 more. But ... rest assured I'll run a set of them just to see for myself.

Gregory Clark likes this.
  13. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

I just bought a new rear PR 4. Damn!

14. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Arrrg! That's the way it always is, isn't it?

Jim Evans likes this.
  15. Charles

Charles Active Member

I will have to wait to see what people say once they are on some RS bikes. I have really enjoyed the RSIII. I have 8,500 mile on my RSIII and they still look great. We will see.

16. Fjaoos

Fjaoos Member

Right now I am trying to decide between the new Pilot Road 5 or the Road Attack 3......Has anyone seen any test of the PR5 that compares them to other sport touring tires?

17. Gregory Clark

Gregory Clark Active Member Contributor

This is the only thing I've found regarding testing.

From Motorcycle.com.
    "Michelin is very proud of this accomplishment, and when we met with them yesterday, their primary purpose for getting together was to show off the new Road 5. We always expect hyperbole from PR people, and we remember the Power RS being called the “perfect tire” at its introduction in Qatar. However, it wouldn’t be an understatement to say that Michelin is very confident in the Road 5’s performance, and they say they have the independent test data to back it up. The photo below shows the independently verified results from wet weather track testing. To summarize, it shows the best lap times on the Road 5 compared to the Metzeler Roadtec 01, Pirelli Angel GT, Continental ContiRoad Attack 3, Bridgestone Battlax T30 EVO, and Dunlop Roadsmart III, and the numbers are impressive. Now, more than ever, we can’t wait to sample these new tires and find out for ourselves."
    [​IMG]

ray2 likes this.
  18. Grumpy Goat

The gaps in lap times are impressive. Up to now I have been thinking of the Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs as the tire to try next (like now) but the PR5s are now available at Revzilla and I am thinking I should probably go with them. I have had phenomenal performance from my PR4s (lost count of the mileage on the current set but both are over 11,000 miles) and if the PR5s wear similarly and have better dry and wet performance I have no issue getting them. Have to do some homework soon.

19. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I could care less about racetrack lap times by professional riders. All I care about is decent traction (something better than the Michelin 880 Marathon) and long mileage (but it doesn't need to be as long as a Michelin 880 Marathon). o_O However, I might feel a little different if manufacturers would reduce their prices, instead of increasing them with every new tire model. ;) And so far, I haven't heard a thing regarding expected tire life for the PR5 from either Michelin or any independent reviewer. :rolleyes:

20. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

I'm with you. I like my tires round and soft. (Or is that a @Bravo sentiment?)
    I've actually looked at these. Not really good for road or trail.

To the point, no need to insult someone with a different opinion. You should understand that Lee's one of those master riders who does all his own work, has hundreds of thousands of miles behind him, and if I recall correctly, moved to the RS from the K1300S.
    It should be obvious that he also has a wife who not has not only ridden identical bikes to his, but also manages to shred the tires before he does.

It's been well established that it doesn't matter where one puts the holes in the tread (unless you need high tire temperatures); it's the land:sea ratio that determines the grip. The rest is all marketing and aesthetics. With not much difference in performance among top tire brands and minimal increments in performance with new models, I figure if someone wants the security of lines across the center to keep track of straight line miles in states like Iowa, that seems reasonable.

I'm also reminded of the center pattern on MotoGP rain tires - though of course, they only run about 30 minutes before the "wear indicators" show.
    upload_2018-1-9_9-49-17.jpeg
    Lorenzo's tire after his 2011 win at Jerez:
    [​IMG]