No customization options are available.

Michelin Pilot Road 4, are they eternal??

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by Chus, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Chus

Chus New Member

Hi everybody,
    My bike, here in Spain, came with the Michelin Pilot Road 4, tires as oem tires...
    I already have done 13.000km and the tires are impressively new!!! Are they infinite or I am to slow??
    Obviously they are not the best tires I´ve tried, but they are pretty ok for Tourist rides and it seems to me that they are lasting really long... What do you reckon?

2. TexasJock

TexasJock Member

I had these as OEM tires and the rear lasted 5000 miles mainly due to squaring off with highway use. Good tires but I just fitted a set of Dunlops latest sport touring tire.. Did a full 6 sessions at cresson track this weekend and they are fantastic. I would say better than the michelins, better feel and grip.

Worth a try and they work out quite a few dollars less than other brands.

3. hic2wo

hic2wo New Member

Buenos dias Chus
    I bought a 1200rs 3 weeks ago and the first thing i said i was going to change was the tyres ( pilot road 4,s ) . My first ride out was with my mates on there fireblades and similar type bikes , we went for a crazy ride and i could not believe how good the tyres were , I dont like the profile as much as a sports type tyre however having said that i was still very impressed with the dry grip . I dont ride much when its wet but i have noticed they seem very good in the rain not that you will see to much of that in espana !
    I am normally really fussy about tyres but would use these again however for summer i would probably use something a bit more sporty . I know people say dont compare it to a sportbike however it seems to ride not far off the mark. I hope this is of some help !
    Encantado
    Chris

4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I would not say "obviously" as they are highly rated here and by reviews elsewhere to me close to the top for support touring tires. And there are a lot of variables that go into any ranking; its a question of balance. That said it is one of the best tires on the market, on balance.

As you have found, longevity is one of the strong suits of the PR4 and I have a set on the bike now that are wearing very well. The front has about 10k miles and the rest has over 8k miles, with both wearing evenly and looking like they have at least 1/3 more life in them.

I'd like to try the Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs next go round but have no good Intel on longevity.

I don't ride slowly and my routes are a mix. Bike has over 21k miles on it.

5. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Here is the data for the tires used on my RS to this point.

TIRES - MILEAGE WHEN INSTALLED, BRAND, MODEL, (MILEAGE WHEN REMOVED)
    0000 miles - Metzeler Roadtec Z8 (7735)
    7735 miles - Metzeler Roadtec 01 (3990) (a)
    11725 miles - Michelin PR4 GT (11,063)
    22788 miles - Michelin PR4 GT (6302)
    29090 miles - Michelin PR4 GT (7879)
    36969 miles - Dunlop Roadsmart III (8357)
    45326 miles - Dunlop Roadsmart III
    (a) tires removed before trip, could reinstall

Some tires were removed before reaching the wear indicators as I was leaving on a longer ride and do not like to change tires on the road. The Dunlop Roadsmart III have been the best handling tires so far. And the cheapest.

Igster09, mousejockey40, Mark and 3 others like this.
  6. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

They do seem like they will last forever and so did mine until about 16,000km (at the rear) when they rapidly started to visibly decline.

By 17,000km I could still see the siping channel in the middle.

Replaced at 18,638 km purely so I don't run into potential insurance trouble were I do be in an accident but I'm pretty sure they would have made it to 20,000km and still be 100% in working order.

Kept the front on as it still seems perfect and even if it gets to 30,000km that would be a bargain.

I don't babysit the bike and this included a track day.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  7. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

My bigger reason for sticking to the Michelin Pilot Road 4 is that I ride every single day come rain or shine...and when the rain comes they don't require me to do much of anything to adapt my riding.

Every other tyre I've ever ridden (granted no Dunlop that I can remember) from every other brand has always felt significantly different in the rain and in many cases downright frightening (Pirelli Diablo Strada II).

So I do think what kind of riding you do comes into it a lot.

8. Chus

Chus New Member

Maybe I didn´t express myself correctly, when I said that they are not the best tires I´ve tried, I was thinking only at grip performance... which I think is not the best point of the PR4's. But, for sure, after 13.000km I´m starting to think that they are one of the Best Tourist Tires ever...
    My Brother use to wear Dunlop Roadsmart III in the MT09 Tracer and he is also very happy with them but after trying them on water I think my PR4´s are better...
    Let´s see how much more those PR4´s last but, 90% I will repeat choice.... or not... What do you think about the Avon Storm 3D?? Someone try them?

9. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I had mine for about 5.5k miles and they wore out one the side of the tread from cornering. The Metzeler Roadtec 01's I replaced them with last longer at 6k for the rear, don't cup and tear to the same extent and provide as much if not more grip wet and dry. That's my opinion, some subjective some factual :)

Leon.P. likes this.
  10. TexasJock

TexasJock Member

I really believe that for road use any of these modern tires will outperform what you SHOULD be asking from them. On the track I was able to drive out of corners harder than I ever have in the past. Some of that could be the bike but the tires were certainly not a weakness. I like to change tires in pairs at around 6000 miles anyway while I am doing oil changes. Sometimes wasting unused rubber and sometimes a bit past the wear indicators. About $50 / 1000 miles is far better than I was getting years ago when tires seemed to evaporate overnight so I am happy.

11. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

You lot must have great roads. On my Michelin P4 I only managed 7300 Kilometers Not Miles like you lot. I will have to slow down.(Maybe):):)

12. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

I'm looking to change mine at about 8k. Although the MPR4's are billed as a sport touring tire, I see lotsa sportbikes here in NorCal with them on.

13. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Yeah switched to them on my Triumph Street Triple from some fancy Pirelli Diablo super sporty rubber that would never warm up on a cold winter's day and were an abomination in the rain.

PR4's do all weather and virtually all types of riding with aplomb. Taken them to the track with no major dramas at all.

I think in the hands of most riders they would run out of talent before the tyres do.

Vtbob likes this.
  14. mark g

mark g New Member

Interesting mileage variations; got 6350 out of the pair of them, front so badly feathered from cornering and the rear worn out from squaring off of the middle and feathering on sipes-which was my biggest gripe with them really; they went off from about 4,500 miles and if we hadn't been on holiday at the time I would have changed them. Put Pirelli Angel GT on now (standard not the touring GT version-no need). Mileage was a mix of two-up touring, one up lads, er, 'touring' and full on Sunday blasts before the Cops wake up! ;) I've not tried the Pirellis in anger for total grip comparison yet, only done 120 miles on them.