No customization options are available.

MAX BMW ECU Re-Flash

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by James Bagley, Sep 3, 2017.

1. James Bagley

James Bagley Active Member

Have any forum members used the ECU reflash service at MAX BMW (in the US)? I really like the Remus carbon fiber HexaCone slip-on, but won't install one without fine-tuning the ECU at the same time. Any insight will be appreciated...
    http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/bmw-motorcycle-tuning.html#truth

2. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

I installed a Remus Carbon Hexacone slip on to my BMW 800GT and the R1200RS. There was no need to re tune the ECU. Speak to a BMW technicion and get a second opinion. I would agree with you if you were fitting a complete system. Good luck.

folagana and James Bagley like this.
  3. lj516

lj516 Active Member

I plan on eventually doing a tune from hilltop in the uk as they are the best I've found. For now I'm more than content with my power commander and autotune.

4. folagana

folagana Well-Known Member Contributor

5-8 hp more?

5. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

I don't think that I would be able to tell the difference between such a small increase in over all percentage. The Throttle response would be sharper but 5-8 hp increase when you have 120 hp + may not be enough to increase my Smile. Just my humble opinion. Happy to be proven wrong. I have done those figures to a couple of cars a view years ago and they did run much smoother and even increased the fuel economy but I could not feel the extra horses under me.:)

folagana likes this.
  6. folagana

folagana Well-Known Member Contributor

probably they were not turbo charged

Jim Evans and Leon.P. like this.
  7. James Bagley

James Bagley Active Member

It's drive-ability that I wish to preserve. Opening up the engine's breathing often leads to snatchy low-speed fueling. Some say that BMW's closed-loop mapping will self-correct for a slight change like a slip-on, but there seem to be an awful lot of folks buying BoosterPlugs and their ilk. If the bike is going to run leaner with an aftermarket silencer, I will either re-flash the ECU or just leave the stock exhaust alone. I've tried "spoofers," but wasn't satisfied with their performance (or lack thereof).

8. Hoser

Hoser Active Member

I replaced the headers and if the dark tan in the tailpipe says anything, no need to worry, it might even run a little richer at open throttle.
    The low end smoothed out but there is still the hunting at steady slow speed. I just try not to go that slow.

shorn sheep likes this.
  9. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Member

I just had my ecu done by Hilltop, I'm running catless stock headers and an Arrow can with decibel reducer in. The bike ran smoothly before but now the throttle response is noticeably crisp, it runs just as strong and smooth at low revs and has the same effortless mid range as before. The best part is that it now has a top end making exponential grunt right up to high revs, first impressions on the test ride were that the numbers on the digital speedo climbed a lot faster and I was able to wind it out more in the gears. Where before it ran out of steam and made more power upshifting it now just wants to keep on winding out. Hard to describe but definitely it was money well spent and I now have more power available for overtaking or chasing sportbikes. I was quite prepared for there to be no difference so I haven't imagined the extra grunt, of course I won't be able to prove anything as I have no dyno chart

Allan "redfox" and James Bagley like this.
  10. Last

Last Active Member

Anyone getting better mpg with a tune? Don't want more power, but smoothness and mpg, yes please.

James Bagley likes this.
  11. m1bjr

m1bjr Member

To meet the EURO4 standards many oem are running very lean already.
    This BMW is a point in case, check the tuner's AFR stats - its not ideal to lean it further...