No customization options are available.

Lost my Fob key

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by dinez, Jan 4, 2018.

1. dinez

dinez Member

Know what; sh!t happened over the weekend 1st Jan. I decided to give the bike a wash, moved her at my normal washing place at home and left the fob key on top of wife's car boot. I usually will turn on the bike so the suspension will be activated so I can disengage and engage back the center stand.

Completely forgot about the fob as the wife took the car out to town! Realized only at night that the fob is missing and went around the neighborhood for hours to look for it but to no avail.
    Just placed an order for a new fob yesterday, will take a week i guess. I need to make a police report about it as well.

Damage is RM945, approx USD230. That's awfully more expensive than the 10k service i did last week.

Please be always mindful where you place the fob, lesson learnt.

2. mrj

mrj Member

Sorry to hear about that.
    There's a full thread about this fob pros and cons. To easy to lose for sure. Better put it in a zipped pocket of the jacket an leave it there for ever (but when you put the jacket in the washing machine). From that end, a regular key is superior: it has to stay on the bike when you move the bike...

Brimstone Mahone likes this.
  3. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Just clip it to your clothing. I use a key ring through a belt loop. If I lose my fob, I have lost my pants too. It is always possible, but very unlikely at my age.

mrj and stuart2820 like this.
  4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Now that would be funny .... :)

Regarding the OP's dilemma - sorry to hear, but a good lesson learned no doubt. In my case my fob lives in a zippered jacket pocket. IF I do have to remove it (working on the bike in the garage or washing the bike) it goes into my pants pocket (always have pants with pockets).

Keys automatically go into pockets with me, and it is usually a right side pocket. So much so, I remember this one time I got into a small accident and afterwards as I was ready to leave I reached into my right jacket pocket and the keys were not there. I got into a slight panic and started looking all around on the ground and even got a little help from the other person involved, and after a few minutes of frantic searching, the keys were found; in my left jacket pocket!

That said, I have noticed that on more than one occasion when removing the seat(s) I momentarily "lose" my fob only to find it still in the slot under the pillion seat at left; in other words my automatic "key goes into pocket" routine fails on these occasions. Mindful of this weakness I automatically look in that spot. :)

5. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Ouch! That is a tough lesson from the School of Hard Knocks. :( I keep my fob in my pants pocket. However, even that plan has loopholes.;) Once my riding pants pocket developed a hole and the fob fell between the inside liner and outside material of the fabric pants, ending up at the cuff of the pants. (Fortunately, those pants had an interior liner.) Now I need to check for holes in my pockets every time I put my pants on. :rolleyes:

6. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

See, now I have this image in my head
    [​IMG]

lars Ormvold, Aussie Import and ray2 like this.
  7. lars Ormvold

lars Ormvold Active Member

Did almost the same in Italy in 2016. Forgot the key in the lock of the Top box, drove over 1 pass and had a short brake after an hour driving. Relized then the key was not in my usual pocket (which then was un-zipped), but no warning from the bike the key was missing. Scratched both my head and the other end for where the key could be, searched all my pockets and really started to get worried. Went around the bike, and there it was, still in the lock of the Top box. Now my key is ALWAYS in the same zipped pocket, bought an additional metal key (as the plastic emergency key is to weak) for use with top box, side panniers and saddle. The emergency plastic key is in a zipped pocket of my wife's jacket.

8. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Yep, the £16 for a dummy key to remove the seat is a worthwhile investment. This lives on a key ring with my house key and Givi key. The electronic key fob remains in my jacket. On a trip, I put the plastic emergency key inside the Rukka trouser pocket, clipped with a safety pin inside the phone pouch so it won't drop out.

9. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

Way too much trouble for a "key!" :)

10. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

It’s just a change to our fragile paradigms. In time, we’ll all figure it out...

11. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Yep I’m very happy with my “ KEY “ key..years of habit..stop..side stand out..key gets pulled and clipped onto caribiner type clip which is on my X-Kulcha riding jeans safe & sound not going anywhere until I unclip it ..I guess I’m old school but it works for me :) 8D1AAB31-C58A-4D7F-95B2-D80B5B6958C6.jpeg

12. Aussie Import

Yeah. Right. Put something on your wife's pocket for safe keeping. It didn't work out well with my 1st wife. She kept almost everything.

GordonH and Bravo like this.
  13. HMFriedman

HMFriedman New Member

My fob lives in a zippered pocket of my riding pants. I made the mistake of putting the pants (and fob, damn it) through the wash after a messy ride home. I dissembled the fob and put it in a container of rice for a day - happily, no damage.

mrj likes this.
  14. Aussie Import

What, you actually wash clothes???

runnerhiker and Martien like this.
  15. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

another one of those quaint European customs you have dispensed with?

Grumpy Goat and Martien like this.
  16. Aussie Import

It rains here sometimes.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  17. dinez

dinez Member

Fob arrived today.
    Apparently the fob is readily available with the local BMW, they just need the blue print for the raw key and transmitter code for the fob from Berlin.

upload_2018-1-12_16-14-17.jpeg

Richard230 likes this.
  18. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Are these the instructions for the small plastic key we receive with the bike vs the key fob?

19. dinez

dinez Member

The instruction came inside the small box of the replacement fob. The initial / first operation to activate the replacement fob is to place it as per the instruction; which is actually similar to the plastic wallet key.

20. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

So the key fob has been supplied by BMW already cut and the transponder for your specific bike has been coded? So you just need to activate?