No customization options are available.

Long Time Coming

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Stan, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Stan

Stan Active Member

Way back in January 2011, I arranged a week long ride enjoying South East Queensland's great bike roads with my son, only to be thwarted by high rainfall, severe flooding and many damaged roads.

In 2013 even worse flooding and road damage again intervened.

Other things like change of job, family events, etc all raised their ugly heads in the ensuing years to prevent 'The Event' happening.

Finally, in 2016, it all came together. With a few 'subtle' changes. I now have an R1200RS, substitute my brother on his R1100RT and trailer for my son and the route changed to 'down to The Oxley' and back. 5500 klms in 6 days and as much as possible, using country roads rather than the Highways. We discovered some absolute gems of roads with almost no traffic and lots of amazing scenery. We also discovered some roads that were not as pleasant as they looked on Google Earth.

The Oxley is a 650km long Highway in New South Wales, but of special interest to motorcyclists is a section that climbs from 100m to 1130m up the mountain range between Wauchope and Walcha.

There are about 300 corners during the 45kms signed below. I got to do 2 down and up laps. What a blast. Next to no traffic and perfect weather.

must-ride-roads-the-oxley-highway-with-phil-hall

[​IMG]

Another road we really enjoyed was up the Gibraltar Range further north.
    The RS was fantastic. Fully loaded with clothing, tools and food. It made no difference, twisties or touring - no problem. This bike really suits me. I find the seat very comfortable for long runs and the bikes abilities make me a better rider.
    I thoroughly enjoyed every part of the trip including the few rough back roads at a steadier pace.
    Nothing fazes the RS.
    We also visited the National Motorcycle Museum at Nabiac and also a Private Motorcycle Museum in Tamworth with all the bike in pristine condition. The highlight of that visit was the old retired gentleman who gave a guided tour with the history of each bike. He had many stories to tell.

There is a down side to the RS. It is so good to ride, that every time I go out on it I take my camera, but I just want to keep riding and hardly ever stop to take photos. So I have a some random photos and a couple of links to YouTube videos of the Oxley and The Gibraltar Range.

DSC_1035.jpg DSC_1036.jpg

DSC_1041.jpg

DSC_1044.jpg

IMGP6110.jpg

IMGP6130.jpg

IMGP6140.jpg

IMGP6152.jpg

IMGP6216.jpg

IMGP6228.jpg

2. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Great report!!

3. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

Boy that Oxley looks way better than the potholed rough road I travelled in 1974. I see the semis still have roo bars. Would be fun on a bike and thanks for the write up.

4. Stan

Stan Active Member

Thanks Aussie Import and Bazza Beemer.

My wife looks over my shoulder every now and then at the computer desk and says "are you watching those videos again":rolleyes:

The lower half road surface is like a race track and the upper half is still quite good. No potholes and a well kept piece of road. There is nothing like it anywhere near where I live. It was the most fun I have ever had and I really want to do it again and again and again.:p

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  5. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Well done Stan. Love the 2 Videos of those roads.Too far away from Melbourne for a day trip.:(

6. 10puzzler

10puzzler Member

Thanks Stan for the report.I can't believe how quiet the roads are.Back here in the uk roads are chock a block with traffic you have to travel to Scotland to find empty roads.You guys in aus. and usa have it good.;);)

To and Fro likes this.
  7. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

Top case AND the 34 liter bag... I wonder: does it serve as a nice cushion in your back?
    Breath taking photo's by the way..

8. Stan

Stan Active Member

Hi Leon P, it is also not a 'day trip' for us (6 days round trip) which made it difficult for us match up time off work. I hope someday you get the opportunity to do the ride.

Hi 10Puzzler, we are lucky. I must say most of the traffic in the twisties was very kind, indicating to pass and moving over whenever possible. Our down side though is that most of us have big distances to travel to find good roads. The Oxley is over 1000 kms from home.

Hi Jeroen1969, Thanks for the compliment. I am very short and don't reach the back. I imagine it would be a suitable backrest for taller riders. The bag carries my wet weather gear, laptop and special dietary requirements. The top box is full of tools, emergency gear and camera gear. (Way over BMW's recommended maximum weight).:eek:

10puzzler and Leon.P. like this.
  9. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

I have that trouble too,perhaps I need to trade in my wife for a younger sexier model?:(

Leon.P. likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

Nice one Stan and excellent photos.

11. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Looks like a great ride and the pics are great. Also fab that you got the other guy to pull the trailer.

12. Stan

Stan Active Member

Thanks for the compliments Michael and Bill The Cat.

The 'other' guy loves his trailer and I'm VERY happy with that;). He is my younger brother and is guilty of introducing me to motorcycle touring convincing me to buy an R1200ST a few years ago which I upgraded in 2016 to the RS. His kids 'respectfully' call him 'The Old Fat Guy on The Old Fat Tourer'.