No customization options are available.

London - Phoyographs and Bike

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by JasonQ, Jul 18, 2017.

1. JasonQ

JasonQ Member

Every so often, and at least once a year, I ride into central London to take some photos. It isn’t so much about the ride, more that a bike is the easiest and cheapest (no congestion charge, free parking, etc.) way to get there; oddly however I do find the ‘urban cut and thrust’ of a ride in the big city an entertaining challenge.

On a previous trip I used my Suzuki SV1000S as the subject of a night time photo over looked by Canary Wharf and I liked it enough to try a similar thing with the RS this year.

So last Friday I initially head for somewhere I’ve never been before; Greenwich Park and the Prime Meridian of the World, zero degrees longitude, where east and west meet; all very grand sounding but a pleasantly understated place situated in a Royal park and overlooking my main objective of the evening (i.e. Canary Wharf).

Satnav showing West 0.0000 degrees
    Longitude_Zero.jpg
    Looking South Down the Merdian
    R1200RS_Greenwich_2991.jpg

Looking toward Canary Wharf
    R1200RS_Greenwich_Meridian2981sm.jpg

Canary Wharf again
    R1200RSGreenwichPrimeMeridian_2986.jpg

After sitting in the evening sun for a few minutes I climb back on the bike and head for the south bank of the Thames, opposite Canary Wharf, whilst waiting for the sun to set I capture a shot of the high rise buildings in the evening sun.

Canary Wharf
    CanaryWharf20170714sm.jpg

Once the sun sets I take over a hundred shots and end up with a couple I’m happy with - if I were to do it again I’d figure out how to strap my ‘proper’ tripod on the bike, rather than make do with a ‘pile’ consisting of a granite stone bench, my tail pack and camera bag topped by the camera on a gorilla pod.
    R1200RS4055sm.jpg

R1200RS4064sm.jpg

On the journey home I head across Tower Bridge through the ‘city of London’ to see if any of the iconic buildings (the Gherkin mainly) are illuminated at night and if they’d make another suitable back drop, but alas the layout of the roads (can’t get enough distance away and keep it in view), the ‘security’ (“you gonna have to move on!”) and the general human busyness of the streets and pavements (despite it being after 11:30pm) prevent me finding anywhere suitable, besides which I’m beginning to fatigue, having been at work all day before heading up here and I’ve still got to fight my way out of the entertaining madness to get home.

And as for the bike, well in my opinion the R1200RS isn’t quite as photogenic as the SV1000 in this situation – or I’ve yet to find the ‘correct angle’ – looks like I’ve have to go back and try again :)
    SV1000S_Canary_Wharf.jpg

JasonQ

Scorch, Mr. 36654, pasko and 8 others like this.
  2. Lennart

Lennart Member

Very beautiful pictures :):):)
    Only the latter is a little less , ha ha;)o_O;)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  3. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Jason, that's an interesting project and lovely photo's.

4. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

Great photos. Just as good, maybe better than any BMW advertising I've seen.

5. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Great pics. I use the gorilla pod as well. I've tried, but there is no easy way to carry around the full size Manfrotto on the bike or rider.

6. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Great pics. And I totally understand the allure of riding in London.......used to be even better in the days before speed cameras.

Just watch out for scooter riding scrotes that will have your bike away at the first opportunity!

7. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I made a mount for a folding chair for the Philip Island races from a 56 cm length of 150 mm PVC pipe and end caps. The pipe has 2 slots wide enough for the webbing and are angled to match the rear carrier. The webbing is mainly internal with only the 2 loops visible.

It sits across the pillion seat and stays put.

It is a bit of a fiddle to attach, but workable.

MK. II would use a threaded pipe and threaded end cap.

Design inspired by annex pole carriers on campers and caravans.

8. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

well-done!

9. jlduck

jlduck Well-Known Member

I have a MePhoto travel pro full size tripod that collapses into its case to 16 3/4". That's just small enough to fit inside the BMW panniers!

10. Andy0203

Andy0203 Member

Not quite as good with a camera as your self but these are a few I took from weekend in wales

Attached Files: