No customization options are available.

London convert from Honda

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shady, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Shady

Shady New Member

So having obtained my full license at the age of 40 (inspired by Steve Mcqueen in the Great Escape) I have worked my way up the cc’s, but always on a Honda. Just traded my VFR1200 for a fully loaded RS Sport SE courtesy of Park Lane (£12,450 with 109 miles on the clock!). My god it wipes the floor with the heavy VFR. I feel like I’m riding a Bentley.

And btw, the new colur scheme (white, grey and a touch of red) is by far the fastest yet

Delighted to have discovered this charming forum. Looking forward to lots of advice from more experienced owners... like how to filter in central London with OEM panniers!!!

(and I apologise to my RS colleagues in the Southern States for the entirely unnecessary touch of blasphemy a couple of paragraphs back)

2. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

A thoughtful and sensitive introduction from an obviously intellectual new member, right up until ...

And btw, the new colur scheme (white, grey and a touch of red) is by far the fastest yet

o_O

Jim Evans, boxerboy and Scorch like this.
  3. Shady

Shady New Member

Haha. I should come clean. I actually went looking for an RT but had my head turned by the slimmer model. Plus ça change

4. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

You're avin a giraffe ain't ya me old China?
    Strike a light Mary Poppins every one knows blue is the fastest.
    Welcome aboard and step in time:)

Jim Evans likes this.
  5. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

(A description that demands a proper note from Bravo - wait one - already done...)

Your tastes are evolving with your skill. You finally got too big. A lot of us like the VFR, but it is about 15% heavier with too high a COG than it could be. And then there's the electronics and chain....

Isn't it amazing - most motorcyclists simply have to watch one in action to get hooked.
    Wecome aboard.

Scorch and Shady like this.
  6. Shady

Shady New Member

Trying to remember how that song continues. “Never need a reason, never need a rhyme”.... something like that.

Funnily enough Mary Poppins was the first film I ever saw in a cinema. How ‘biker’ is that?

Good question though. Anyone else care to share their first cinema experience??

Stick Rockwell and Bravo like this.
  7. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

You mean Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke didn't give a fair and true representation of London in their documentary?
    My whole knowledge of that there London was gleaned from them. My crest is well and truly fallen:(

8. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Welcome Shady - it took me a long while to “get” BMs.....but I’ll never go back.....they are just so agile and grunty.

9. Shady

Shady New Member

How do you do that copy a previous posters comment thingy??

I wanted to reference “your tastes are evolving with your skill”. Nicest thing anyone’s ever said about me. Can I use it in my next appraisal?

Thank you Ray2. (What happened to Ray1??)

10. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Click 'reply and it drags the text down

11. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Shady. I thought you were a female with tats. LOL. Yes the new colour is great and almost as fast as the Exclusive Grey's .
    Welcome and enjoy.:)

12. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Active Member

1958, I was 5, my brothers 6 and 8, the State Theatre in Fairmont WV. $.27 Steve McQueen in .........The Blob....... Scared the Sh*t out of me. Welcome aboard and enjoy the camaraderie. Stick.

13. ray2

Are you referring to the bikes or the riders?

Held357 likes this.
  14. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I think I was about 9 years old and it was on the other side of the world from you in the Como Theatre (ie. Como, southern suburb of Sydney). Can still hear the Jaffas rolling across the wooden floor boards. I'd be surprised if it still exists - if someone didn't set fire to it the termites would surely have devoured it by now. Over 3 decades later my two daughters came along and have grown up to CCBB and Mary Poppins, playing the DVDs countless times. I think they can recite both end to end. Come to think of it so can I!

Welcome to the forum Shady. Always good to see somebody lead with a back-hander. I also like the red frame although tend to be a bit of a tart when it comes to RS colours. Haven't seen one I didn't like.

Leon.P. likes this.
  15. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I will repeat myself, yet again, in saying the RS is the best motorcycle I have owned in 49.5 years of riding. I hope to make the 50th in July!
    Having said that, I think the VFR 1200 is a mighty machine and I gave it serious consideration at the time. Ultimately its introductory price was too high and, since I did not ride it, the weight issue never came into my decision. I thought at the time it weighed about as much at the VFR 800 - truly a wonderful and modern "classic" in its own right.
    I can only guess that the VFR would have more power and it did have the DCT, but it was not enough to have me abandon my R1100S. The RS was immediately seen by me as the "new bike" and I bought mine within a week of seeing the model on the floor at the BMW dealer.

DABs and Leon.P. like this.
  16. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

My first theater experience was “Ben Hur.” However, at age five the Huckleberry Hound animated short interested me a great deal more than Charleton Heston. That same year, mom and dad took me to see “The Longest Day.” I was fascinated with it, but really had a tough time with the subtitles during the French and German dialog...

17. Shady

Shady New Member

Temporary ‘hot girl with tattoos’ profile pic has now been replaced... perhaps disappointingly

Great film memories! Funny that Dick Van Dycke has now appeared twice in this thread. Three times if we include Bravo’s post. Perhaps Dickie also rides an RS. Definitely a step up from Chitty Chitty!

Leon.P. likes this.
  18. DABs

DABs Active Member

He bought an RS. Different bloke now.
    Welcome aboard!

Dave

Bravo likes this.
  19. ray2

(no perhaps about it.)

Leon.P. likes this.
  20. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Welcome, Shady.
    I need to introduce you to my mate, who for some inexplicable reason hates BMW with a passion (even though he loved his F800ST and only got rid of it because it was written-off by a U-turning driver), but is a rabid Honda fanboy. Perhaps together we can beat some sense into him...

PaulB_UK likes this.