No customization options are available.

Little off road adventure...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Last, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Last

Last Active Member

2. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Looks like fun, hope not too much damage!

There's a lot that The non GS R's can do ..........here's my old 1150R on a forest gravel trail.......took it in its stride...

image.jpeg

Last likes this.
  3. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

You guys are brave, I'm too precious about my paintwork to leave the hardtop !
    Lovely photo's - thanks !

Last likes this.
  4. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

.......I bottled out of taking the RS on the same trail earlier this year.....at 2 months old, too new!

boxerboy likes this.
  5. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Member

Where is that? The road looks like a perfect place for my Tenere and not my RS, especially the sandy section.

Beautiful pics.
    Mike

Last likes this.
  6. Last

Last Active Member

88, towards Roosevelt Dam.

Bug Dr. likes this.
  7. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Well done for some one who is 117. LOL:)

Last likes this.
  8. Last

Last Active Member

I'm spritely for my pretend digital age. :)

9. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

So how old are you?

10. Last

Last Active Member

Alright, alright, I got rid of the made up age from showing.

Below the average age here, by a bit.

Leon.P. likes this.
  11. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Member

I like the fact that you didn't let the style of the bike keep you from exploring. Did you get your brake problem sorted?
    Mike

Last likes this.
  12. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

We went there in the early 90s because I wanted to see it before the masonry dam was resurfaced with concrete.
    We got chased out of the construction site :)
    At one time it was one of the largest masonry dams in the world.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Roosevelt_Dam
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Richard230, Last and boxerboy like this.
  13. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Great photo !

Last likes this.
  14. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Mine was copied from the internet :)
    Need to dig through old photo albums to find mine.

Last likes this.
  15. Last

Last Active Member

No, just been dealing with it. Been too busy, and it's too difficult for me to get to service when they're open. Still have another 4k miles until the second service.

I'll get to it when able, but it was offputting.

16. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Great photos. I've done a little dirt roading on the RS and it's really good: but sand is a killer.

Last likes this.
  17. Brickhead

Brickhead Active Member

Earlier this summer I somehow found a road unknown to me, but pointing in the general direction I wanted to go. Being quite some ways off my usual "territory", the unknown bit was to be expected. After some distance with no forks or intersections, it turned into a good smooth gravel road. No problem, even when it started raining (again). Further afield, the gravel road continued, but increasingly slippery and worn-down in the wheel tracks. Why I didn't take the unmanned toll post (raised boom) as a warning, I don't know - perhaps curiosity overruled any wish for safety and comfort (and the bike was already dirty). Anyway, the toll regime required registering via SMS, getting a ticket in response, and paying later. I would have complied, had this not been out of range from cell phone service (go figure). From there, the gradual change in road quality continued, and the only other vehicle I saw was loading lumber, blocking the road completely in the process, which effectively forced my choice of direction at a nearby fork.

Before I eventually reached a locked boom I couldn't get around (and a sign saying "here ends the national forest administration's road"), I had encountered two of the more challenging road surfaces for a street bike with road tyres: Sand backed by soft mud (a rather treacherous combination), and soft wet mud alone. With the sand on top, the worn wheel tracks were a blessing, because my total loss of steering lasted only while I was switching tracks, causing no greater harm than me overshooting the desired track. In the case of the "pure" mud, there was nothing I could do to escape the tracks, nor would I want to, apart from using the grassy roadside when space and traction allowed. Mostly the muddy stretches were a matter of going very slowly to allow my legs to keep the bike upright (no steering whatsoever), and fortunately the traction was slightly better on the slopes where powered propulsion was crucial. I did worry about damaging the plastic parts below the cylinders, but that didn't happen.

I've sometimes wondered where to draw the line between roads a street bike can navigate reasonably well, and those where an off-road bike (and tyres) would be a requirement. This time I certainly crossed that line. And I had to do it all over returning to whence I came (yay). Once back where this adventure started, I spent a few hours on paved roads getting home, and then took a photo of the rear of the bike as a reminder:

IMG_0916.jpg

I still consider all of this "on-road", though. A logging road (in some places but a prepared track), but a road nonetheless.

JasonQ, boxerboy and Last like this.
  18. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

On our way west we got on a section of two lane road which they decided to just tear it up and re do the whole thing. We missed the sign about motorcycles take detour and ended up on 40 miles of bulldozer detour beside the torn up road and it wasn't even a real road it was hardback with occasional soft spots and sandy pitted one lane road and we were caught up in it with motorhomes and fifth wheels and everything else . The ole song "forty miles of bad road" came to mind as we navidated these conditions on my RS and Charles Harley. But at the end we made it fine just covered in western silt white tan dirt . Bikes looked like we had ridden the Alcan highway afterwards.

Last likes this.