No customization options are available.

Levers

Discussion in 'UK Riders' started by boxter, Sep 21, 2017.

1. boxter

boxter Active Member

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272817629861

Has any members fitted these levers ? If so ,any good?, Do they move the bite point closer in for stubby fingers ?
    Quality ?

Thanks

Ged

2. roger coleman

roger coleman Well-Known Member

Ive just fitted new levers, similar to these. the brake lever feels closer, but the clutch lever feels just the same.
    Bit dissapointed tbh, I thought the difference would be more noticeable.

boxter and mousejockey40 like this.
  3. mousejockey40

mousejockey40 Active Member

Always found my levers fine. IMHO BMW supply quality levers as do Honda.. in my experience. :)

4. boxter

boxter Active Member

Thanks for the replies,

MJ, the BMW levers are just too expensive,

Roger, I have seen a few as second hand ones kicking around and wondered why they were being moved on,

The main problem with stock levers is that once the engine is warm the bite point is right on the tip off my finger reach and I find it impairs control,

Ged

5. roger coleman

roger coleman Well-Known Member

Im assuming you have already adjusted your stock levers as close as poss. new levers will probably bring the lever closer to the grip, but the bite point will need to be adjusted at the clutch mechanism, if it can be?
    Ive been riding this bike for couple of years just using fingertips to reach the lever and finally decided to do something about it. Clutch is pretty much unchanged, but brake lever is closer, which is odd.
    You can adjust the stock levers a little by screwing in the pin, which is part of the lever assembly. You have to use the same pin on the new levers anyway so its worth trying, you will need a small allen key to unlock the pin.

6. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Here is my take on levers such as these.

I bought levers very similar to these off eBay for my previous bike (2014 Honda CBR500RA) for both the reach adjustability (stock levers were not adjustable) and the foldability of the ones I got (the ones above don't appear to be the folding type).

The quality of those levers was quite good and they fitted nicely. With the adjustability my reach was improved because, like I said, the stock ones were not adjustable so any adjustability is an improvement. The only quality issue was (IIRC) the clutch side slipped at one of the adjustment notches, i.e. when set to , say 4 it would slip to 3 when pulled, so you lose a little adjustability since 4 is gone. Might have been fixable but I somehow did not bother.

Depending on the angle of levers such as these (where your fingers rest) and where that finger area is at the bite point of either the brake or the clutch, the difference could be significant for your hands or not. Whether it is an improvement from person to person varies.

My suggestion is to buy some inexpensive ones off eBay and make that evaluation yourself. If it makes a positive difference, and if you want better quality, then consider getting better quality (read more expensive) ones, again bearing in mind that the geometry could affect improvement.

At any rate I would get folding levers if ever I do swap out the BMW ones which (for me and my smallish hands) works perfectly fine. Here is an example which should fit.

Some folks buy the expensive ones right off the bat only to find that there is no improvement in fit and they console themselves by saying that the levers look cool ... ;)

7. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

I've wrestled with the stock levers as well. The brake is is fine but clutch side even all the way in to "1" setting is a little far for my fingers. For the first few thousand miles I used 3 fingers on the clutch because I felt I needed a longer pull on the lever. A few weeks ago I went to a 2 finger grip on the clutch even though it's finger tips only. The finger tip grip makes my pull shorter and right in the friction zone. Therefore, my shifts have become slightly quicker and smoother.

8. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

IMO 4 fingers on both brake and clutch is best. No advantage to trapping the "resting" fingers.

boxter likes this.
  9. boxter

boxter Active Member

I agree

Ged

10. Graham Ramsey

Graham Ramsey Member

I found the V-Trec levers excellent. On my ST the clutch was always a struggle with my small hands, fitted the short V-Trec, end of problem. Lots of adjustment. They're not the cheapest by any means but well made and worth the money I reckon. I had a cheapish set on my 1150RS and they worked ok, but never 100% happy with them. I have to say though, my R1200RS is fine with the standard levers, both on position 1, all good to go!!!