No customization options are available.

Left cyl. engine noise

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Alakso, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Alakso

Alakso New Member

I have a '17 I bought late in the year and was only able to put 1k miles on it due to my work schedule. The engine is quite noisy especially the left cyl.. Sounds like valve train noise and if the left cyl. was the same as the right cyl. I could probably live with it. Plus the left cyl. exhaust pipe is bluing more which tells me that cyl. is also running leaner. So it's time to pull the covers and check everything out. I'm hoping it's just a max valve clearance issue and not any valves out of spec.. Actually I'll going to order an aftermarket shim kit so I'll be ready if any valves need adjustment to min. specs.. Any recommendations on what feeler gauges, spark plug tool, shims etc. I'll need to do this? Also what are my best non dealer options to richen up my engine?

2. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

I assume it's still under warranty. Why not just stop by a dealer and have them give it a listen?

Richard230, Grumpy Goat and ray2 like this.
  3. Alakso

Alakso New Member

Max BMW is over 200 miles away from where I live in Maine. I know these engines are noisy or ratty as I've heard it called but it just bugs me that the left cyl. is noiser. It won't hurt to at least give them a check and see what I'm dealing with. I've been a certified MC tech since '81 but have mostly worked on HD's. So I'll be doing all my own services including buying the tools I need to do these things along the way. I'd also like to check my cam timing while I check valve clearances.
    PS: I'm also a recovering perfectionist.
    PSS: I've been doing a bunch of research tonight including watching a couple of YouTube wethead valve check vids., and I found a cool aluminum stick coil puller. I'm also going to get the factory DVD service manual. Now I just need to figure out the tools I'll need to check my cam timing. I was also hoping to be able to fix my AFR with a AF-XIED but it seems it's not available for my bike. I know Max BMW is touting their remapping service but I'm not sure if they can do it on a bike still under warranty? I know whenever I do anything that effects emissions I write "for off road use only" on the work order to cover my butt. But my bike needs a richer AFR asap!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Stick Rockwell likes this.
  4. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

You could always give the "Booster Plug" a try. Relatively cheap and easy to install.

Alakso likes this.
  5. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Active Member

I can appreciate the technical side for just making sure, yourself, that all things are as they should be. While I have not found extraordinary reasons for checking my valve train yet, I will certainly undertake this, myself, at a future point. I found, Wunderlich http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/bmw/R-BIKES.html a beneficial source for maintenance, small tools and accessories. I'd first get the DVD to make sure you know what range of gauges are required, then source the them as well as the coil puller, spark plug socket and such to prepare yourself. I haven't seen shims although, someone has to have them besides BMW as well. Enjoy the task and let us know if you find anything out of spec. o_O Stick.

Alakso likes this.
  6. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

My left pipe discoloured quick on my left cylinder, I mentioned this to the main agent at first service, he said because of the difference in length between right and left pipes the bore of the left pipe is slightly less and gets hotter sooner, but as he said, now that the bikes done 8 k they are matched.

Ged

Alakso likes this.
  7. Rotorwrench

Rotorwrench Member

It's a Boxer. The more miles that you put on it, the smoother and quieter it will get.

8. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Exactly. Mince is pretty quiet and smooth at 27k miles.

Alakso likes this.
  9. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I believe the shims I bought for my Rotax 998 V-twin are the same diameter as the BMW shims. I got a set from AF-1 Racing in Texas. It seems that all 10 mm shims are not 10 mm, with Honda in particular being something like 9.2.
    I have not measured the valve clearance yet, but I know a couple of things in preparation.
    First the clearance is measured between the cam and the follower, not between the follower and the valve.
    Second, you may need to make a bolt to press into the hole in the crank, which is accessible by a threaded cover on the left crank case, behind the cylinder to "lock" it in place.
    Third, you will need to remove the cam sprockets and do fancy things with the chain if you actually have to adjust clearances.
    The old nut and bolt adjusters were much easier.
    I don't think you need the special tool to lock the cams together, though.

Alakso likes this.
  10. Alakso

Alakso New Member

The shim size is 8.90mm

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...diameter-wet-heads.html?nocache=1523480398684

11. Alakso

Alakso New Member

Here's a great thread on the BMW special tools needed to do the cam timing on our bikes.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/using-any-gsw-special-tools.937091/

12. Alakso

Alakso New Member

Here's the BMW parts #'s for the cam timing tools. Not sure if the prices I listed are accurate now but it will give you an idea of their cost.
    BMW R1200RS
    8mm locating pin:
    Part # 83 30 2 327 790
    $78.90
    Cam chain tensioner:
    Part # 83 30 0 444 292
    $166.10
    Part # 83 30 2 339 885
    $11.66
    Cam alignment tool:
    Part # 83 30 2 327 796
    $38.68

13. Alakso

Alakso New Member

Here's a great thread on how to do the cam timing adjustment using the BMW special tools.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?89802-Cam-Timing-and-Valve-check

14. Rotorwrench

Rotorwrench Member

WOW! The OP has some noise coming from a Jug and is concerned about it. Simple answer is check the valve clearance. Easy as that. If the Valves are out, sort it. After Alakso diagnoses the problem (i.e., the valves are out of tolerance, re-shimmed them to spec, but it still sounds like a John Deere), It very well might be in his best interest to contact Max BMW and make the 200 mile ride for some warranty work. No need to go into a lengthy discussion of what ifs. If he was worried about a little clunk coming from his final drive, would you all be telling him how to adjust his backlash and check his tooth patterns as well. If I were an outsider looking in and saw a post saying that I needed 500$ worth of tools to check all of this, I would buy a Ducati. He stated that he is a recovering perfectionist and ya'll are driving him back to OCD level 10. I'm a recovering Helicopter mechanic and if I had to run Track and Balance or Dynamic Vibration Analysis for every lame ass pilot complaint that came across my box, I would have gone into retail. Rant off

m1bjr, duccrazydave and Bravo like this.