No customization options are available.

LED headlights how-to?

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by swedkg, Aug 28, 2017.

1. swedkg

swedkg Member

How did you guys fit them? Especially the "ballast". It seems as there is lots of space in the nose, behind the DRL. Any tips or photos?

2. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Depends on the equipment. I found the HID ballast took up more space and I made a shelf internal to the casting where the original horn sat. It took both ballasts for 2 HIDs.
    I replaced the high beam with a LED which is much more compact and use double sided tape to secure it out of sight under the infill panel.

ray2 likes this.
  3. lj516

lj516 Active Member

Please don't. The only LED's worth having are those that come from the factory as OEM headlight assemblies. HIDs are better but both are horrible at blinding oncoming traffic. The problem comes from the "reflector bowl" inside the headlight instead of a projector style that are able to focus the extra light and put it where it needs to be.
    And to all those that decide to screw others over with improper equipment, there are many states and countries that are making the practice illegal so don't be surprised when you have to throw that cash in the bin later.
    There are proper ways of putting HID's in our headlights(I've made a thread or two just check under my profile if curious) and the result is on par with that of 100k luxury vehicles if not better.(not me bragging but just the result of the correct hardware.

4. Aussie Import

I have not experienced any complaints from on-coming drivers with the HID on low beam. The intensity of the light is much greater than the H7.
    The problem with HID (and not LED in Victoria) is that to be "lawful", HID must have a self-levelling system and it must be fitted with a washer. Merely changing the projector lens will not make the vehicle compliant. On the other hand, the LED has not been singled out (AFAIK) for the same treatment.
    So, if my HID was "blinding oncoming traffic" I would know by now as few Aussie drivers are backwards about demonstrating their concern with other's deemed infractions. You can also see where the cut-off on both the HID and LED sits, and it is a clear, straight and easily defined one that allows headlight aiming with the same degree of accuracy of the H7s.
    My Spyder has 4 projector type headlights, all H3s (I think). They perform adequately for that vehicle, but they dazzle the driver in front (at least on low beam). The nature of the projector is the beam appears to "flutter". I have seen it myself when my Spyder was being ridden at night behind a car I was driving and my wife complained of the same effect when I followed her. The mounts for the low beams (Euro-spec here in Oz) are on the frame lower than the "Frunk" top. It is a solid mount right to the frame and there is no room for movement of the globe.
    BTW, the reason for the washers on HID globes is the legislator's belief that dirt on the headlight will refract the HID beam and dazzle the oncoming driver. It is very much a knee jerk reaction to new technology, much like having the flagman walk ahead of your motorised carriage.
    I think the better lights are an improvement, they were not expensive or difficult to adapt; but they do not give as good a result as the bi-xenon (aka HID) on my Volvo. Wish they did, the Volvo is like turning on daylight.

5. swedkg

swedkg Member

Is there such a thing for the RS? I got the bike a month ago, and there was no mentioning of an LED assembly as an accessory, except for the turning signals. Bear in mind that I'm in Europe, so maybe the accessory list might be different from the one in the States.

6. Aussie Import

There are no lighting options from BMW for the RS. Autoparts stores have HID kits for "off road use" here. 2 HID assemblies for $109.00 (about $85 - $90 US).
    The LEDs I got from the 'Net and they were a bit more expensive from ADV Monster at $275. The HID is really no good at "Flashing" and it is slow to chime in when high beam is selected. Because the BMW keeps low beam on when high beam is selected, it is not really a problem. But, the LED behaves as if it were an H7, apart from its brightness.

7. Brickhead

Brickhead Active Member

And apart from the fact that the light sources are offset from where the H7 filament would be - typically on both sides of a heat pipe or other thermal conductor.

8. SteveTea

SteveTea New Member

I’ve used both HID and LED kits for headlights and prefer the LEDs. I fitted HID conversions myself to a Suzuki bandit and they improved the lighting from awful to bad. As mentioned above the main problem was the beam pattern which was just too diffused so although the HID provides more light much of it was wasted. Also, as mentioned above, there is a short delay while the bulb fires up which is not a problem for general use but is not so good when flashing the lights.

The previous owner off my Triumph T140 fitted an LED kit and in this application, it is fantastic. It provides clear bright white light that comes on instantly (it helps that the standard reflector provides a reasonably well focused beam for both main and dipped). LED also has the advantage that it uses a lot less power that standard incandescent bulbs and the box of electrical trickery is much smaller than required for HID.

So, I am a big fan of LED conversions and if I find I don’t like the standard 1200RS lights (I’ve not ridden it in the dark yet!) I will have a look at an LED conversion.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  9. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Hi Aussie. Is it possible to use LED'S for high and low beam? Why did you not do that to start with or is that not an option? Cheers

10. Aussie Import

HID was in the store and cheap. I liked them on the Volvo. So, given some more time and the itch to explore - LEDs came to be.
    There is no problem in going straight to LEDs.

11. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Sounds good.:):)

12. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

AI,
    BMW do have an LED lighting kit for the RS image002.jpg - they quoted me one recently - see attached. image001.png

Jim Evans likes this.
  13. Aussie Import

I was not referring to add-on lights. I was referring to replacement of the H7 globes in the headlight nacelles.

Kev likes this.
  14. Michael

OK, mea culpa.

Leon.P. likes this.
  15. swedkg

swedkg Member

So, except for $252 for 2 hours of labour, how much they quoted you for the LED kit?

16. Michael

AUD1578.

swedkg likes this.
  17. Michael

That included the labour.

swedkg likes this.
  18. swedkg

swedkg Member

This hurts a lot..

19. Michael

I think, even for BMW, it is an outrageous price.

20. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I haven't met any objections to my HID headlamps. Carefully aimed low enough to avoid blinding on dip beam, as are the 2 added spots. See and be seen is what it's all about.

The main beam is also a modern design that flashes pretty fast, faster than earlier generations.

Both ballasts are slim-jim models that fitted easily under the dash panels.