No customization options are available.

LED Headlamps

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by fischetg, Oct 17, 2015.

1. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

That is the ticket! Remove the lamp from the white collar and clip in the collar. Small needle nose pliers may help. Breathe deep and be patient. Just wait to try and change the parking lamps. Another exercise in self control.

2. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I left the parking lamps alone.
    I have waited for a couple of months before posting on the HID conversion I have on my RS. I waited as I was concerned about potential damage due to heat of the much brighter light and about the stability of the HID globes.
    Probably once I hit "Send" on this posting the whole damn thing will fail - that always seems to happen when I go to show someone else something I have worked out on the computer, so why should the RS be any different?
    Anyhow there are a number of "generic" HID kits, well under $100 US for both lights. (Mine was $109 from Autobarn for Aussie riders).
    I have taken care to mount the ballasts (transformers) onto the metal framework and otherwise out of the weather, but I don't see that my wariness of potential high temperatures damaging anything else was well founded.
    The system is powered from the black socket that normally fits over the H7 globes, and it has no other power requirements.
    The strong (very light) blue / white light is much brighter than the H7, and so far, no oncoming drivers have shown any irritation on low beam anyhow.
    The colour difference between the pilot light (which now looks like a candle's yellow flame) emphasises the brightness of the HID and I think it is 6 of 1, half dozen of the other, as to changing the pilot light to a blue/white globe. If the damn things were more easily accessible, I would be tempted to swap them in and out; but it is just too much of a fiddle IMO, to do it without a practical consequence benefitting the machine.

3. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

I had no problem changing the pilot lights. Took about 10 minutes. Trust the BMW wiring and just yank then out. Swap bulbs, wiggle back in. Job done.

4. Aussie Import

What globes did you use?

5. oscarguitar

Hi haven't done the LED upgrade, just higher output H7s. I went for the Oscram Night Racer 110 ones and some bright white pilot bulbs. The actual pilot bulb is blue, but the output is white and matches the main bulbs.

6. r80sdon

r80sdon Active Member

Can someone send a link for the best headlight covers?

7. JWMcDonald

JWMcDonald Active Member Contributor

The installation of the 2nd OPT7 in the low beam side went off without a hitch in less than 15 minutes.

However...:(

Initial turn on was fine, but then after about 45 seconds, the dash CANBUS fail indication came up of a bad headlight bulb, and the high beam side started cycling on and off. It was not a flicker as described in Step 2 (d) - I guess it could be called a strobe (with ~ 2-3 second intervals).

Low beam side remained constantly on - no interruption as with the high beam side.

I am assuming that flu capacitor install is called for and will try that tomorrow evening.

Has anyone experience with the flux capacitor...:)...?

Bill the Cat likes this.
  8. oscarguitar

Marty McFly??

Bill the Cat likes this.
  9. Luper

Luper New Member

For the gents who have the Opt7 LED's installed, any chance you guys could post a few pics from the back side? Specifically where you have the driver and extra wire stashed. I want to order these but am hoping you guys can share a few pics of them installed before I do. I was trying to look online for the dimensions of the driver and fan but haven't succeeded. Thanks in advance!

10. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

20171012_215549.jpg 20171012_215609.jpg

Prototype headlight covers. Going strong for nearly a year now. I need to print V3's in black. Only qualms about the Opti7's is their beams are not centered at the correct focal length, so the aim and spread are slightly off and scattered (not necessarily bad for a motorcycle). The annodizing has also faded after a year of daily driving.

Tom Hagan and Luper like this.
  11. Luper

Luper New Member

Hey Kyriv, thanks for the pics! Did you ever build any additional sets to sell? I agree, black would definitely be better but still like the design for sure! I'm betting more than a few of us would be willing to purchase. Thanks again!

Tom Hagan likes this.
  12. coconutmilk

coconutmilk New Member

I got these 70mm rubber headlight dust covers from Ebay. They fit snug over the back of the headlight rim opening.
    [​IMG]

13. Gregory Clark

Gregory Clark Active Member Contributor

Different bulb - but I routed mine outside of the housing by notching the stock dust covers and then sealing them. Cyclops bulb. Would have gone with the 70 mm covers had I know about them.
    [​IMG]

14. oscarguitar

15. Aussie Import

Do they require a ballast?

16. oscarguitar

No, it’s all built in. (I think)

17. Martien

Martien Active Member

Ehh, no they have a seperate ballast, see pics here: (https://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/12985BWX2/x-tremeultinon-led-car-headlight-bulb), and I don't read they are Canbus compatible...

Myself I'm thinking of buying these H7's, which have Philips LED's onboard as well (https://hilox.eu/en/car-motor-lighting/led-lighting/low-high-beam/xtr-black-3600lm/h7-can-bus-proof). I have an H4 from them in my G310R and am impressed with the brightness and quality.

18. oscarguitar

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn’t do my research fully. :(

19. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

I love LED lights. I've converted my work shop and garage to them and slowly changing the rest of the house.

I've use LED replacements in directional and stop light M/C applications. I have not found a satisfying solution the the head lights.
    Two problems I cann't seem to confirm true increase in light output vs a 65W H7....measured in lumens not color Temp!
    Second, placement of the LED in the head light assembly (reflector) that was design for a 1CM hot coil seem to screw up the beam pattern.

Any one have answers?

20. oscarguitar

I believe that is what these Phillips LEDs are designed to address. The chip has been designed to replicate the size shape and placement of a halogen filament so that it works with existing reflectors. They do say that due to the construction of the chip holders they won’t fit all headlight assemblies.

With regard to lumens, They claim 1350 with 6000k. Under ECE regulations, H7 bulbs must emit between 1350 and 1650 lumens at 13.2v. Under US regulations, H7 bulbs must emit between 1188 and 1512 lumens at 12.8v. So increases in actual light output seem to be regulated to a maximum in any event.
    Have to look at those Darala’s again.

Vtbob likes this.