No customization options are available.

LED Headlamps

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by fischetg, Oct 17, 2015.

1. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

I found these OPT7 LED Headlamps, http://opt-7.com/opt7-fluxbeam-led-headlight/
    Totally plug and play. These produce a total of 7,000 lumens (pair) compared to 55w OEM halogens producing 3,200 lumens (pair). Their waterproof fans require leaving the dust covers behind the bulb socket off. Other drivers that are actually driving and paying attention, really take notice. Hopefully this will help to be seen by others. Now I need to figure out how to get to and change out the awful halogen parking bulbs.......
    Opt7 LED Headlamps.JPG

Rman, Jaime García Llopis and Vtbob like this.
  2. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

I like the concept of this but am skeptical of the beam pattern. (I tried an earlier LED bulb replacement with poor results a couple years ago). It the low beam pattern similar (not high to blind oncoming traffic)....same question for the high beam

Installation picture would be nice too.

Thanks

Jaime García Llopis likes this.
  3. Rev Ken

Rev Ken Member

I have had success with HID lights (4,600K I think) although the full beam takes time to strike up. I got them checked on a beamsetter as I don't want to dazzle anybody - after all I hate illegal HID units fitted to boy racer cars making night riding more difficult than it should be. (Illegal on unmodified cars, legal on bikes so long as they are set correctly)

4. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

I've got the same bulbs. Beam pattern has quite a bit of bleed, but it has a dramatic effect on awareness and visibility.

I replaced the stock covers with some generic rubber boots.

5. EG3

EG3 New Member

Where did you get these generic rubber boots from? How are they holding up so far, any heat problems? This seems like a great low cost mod.

6. Gerald Travis

Gerald Travis New Member

Any updates as to LED headlights and boots?

Thanks

7. SPL

SPL Active Member

What's the consensus on these after a few months of use - would you still recommend them??

8. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

I really like them. Most importantly, they are bright and other drivers take notice. So the main objective is accomplished. The beam is a bit scattered, but the road lights up so well, I see more and I feel I have an extra edge of safety. My friends are buying them for their bikes......

9. SPL

SPL Active Member

Good enough for me - I'll order a set now - thanks.
    Google has let me down on the generic replacement covers Kyriv mentioned though - did anyone manage to source them?

10. M.M.

M.M. Member

I ordered OPT7 Led´s because of this thread. I was surprised how hard it was to find a dealer who was shipping to Slovenia.
    It took about two weeks to get them and when I installed them, I was happy with the result.
    They are bright and illuminate the road very good. I only had to adjust the height of the beams.

I also found them very easy to install and most important of all, no error lights.
    Which I cannot say for the position lights. I bought the Osram LED:
    http://www.osram.com/osram_com/prod...rior-lighting/ledriving-w5w-premium/index.jsp
    and the Osram canbus control:
    http://www.osram.com/osram_com/prod...hting/ledriving-canbus-control-unit/index.jsp

These position lights are a total waste of money, except if you don´t care about canbus errors.

11. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

Awesome to hear the OPT7's are working out well for you too!

12. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

Steve, let us know your thoughts when you get them installed!

13. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

I am riding without boots covering the fan units. My thinking is that they are waterproof and they need air to cool.....

14. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

So, I thought I had replied to this thread. My apologies.

I entered "headlight boot" into ebay search. You will find many that will work. I had to enlarge the center in order to pass the heatsink through. IMHO it's a good compromise VS leaving the back of the headlight completely open an exposed to dirt/dust/moisture.

8 months in, the LED headlights are still doing their job just fine. Beam-Cutoff is still bad for oncoming traffic, but drivers are definetely taking notice and moving out of my way. I run with both beams on during the daytime. At night the extra glare from the poor cut-off causes drivers to hesitate before pulling out in front of me, which is also fine in my book.

AZGeek and fischetg like this.
  15. Tom Hagan

Tom Hagan Member

Just got done installing a set tonight.. Man,.. Getting those little rings snapped in caused some very blue language!! But, in the end, they're in there. Got the wiring right on both with the first try and, they fired right up.. Clean, brilliant white light, which is a big plus over the stock yellowish halogen output. Now, to take it out on the road and see if the beams need adjusting. So far, I'm liking the results.

Rman likes this.
  16. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

After 7 months, and 4k miles, they are still doing their job perfectly!

17. Hotboot

Hotboot Active Member

I would hate to blind oncoming motorists, it's obnoxious and unsafe. There is nothing like the white light from LED headlights, awesome contrast and color recognition, not to mention visibility from other vehicles. The cheap FJ-09 had them....I would have paid BMW to integrate them into the 19K RS platform, they should be required by law in my opinion.

18. JWMcDonald

JWMcDonald Active Member Contributor

I picked up a single OPT7 LED headlight bulb with the intention of seeing how it worked, with then getting the second one if it was successful.

Since everyone seemed to be able to install, I thought this would be an achievable effort.

I spent this afternoon cursing the inability to get my fingers in to set the clips (seemed to get hung up in the fins of the OPT7).

Prior to attempting to dismantle the front end bodywork, I thought I would throw out the question of "How'd you do it...?...:)"

Thanks in advance for any assistance / direction.

19. Tom Hagan

Tom Hagan Member

JW.. If you look, the H7 adaptor collars are removable from the LED driver assembly. Just grasp the plastic collar and twist counter- clockwise, looking at the back of the assembly. Should be easier, somewhat to clip in the collars. Once installed, insert the LED assemblies and turn clockwise to lock them in.

fischetg likes this.
  20. JWMcDonald

JWMcDonald Active Member Contributor

So here I stand with hunched shoulders and a sloped forehead that I can slap...if only I had closely read the blue installation guide...:eek:

I think it is going to go a lot smoother tomorrow...